Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
if they bring out an xbox720 that would be overkill. i can see how the ps3 isnt selling highly, cauz of the pricetag!!!! the graphics are totally awsome on it, it kicks the xbox's floating point by 2 and the wii....well lets not start on the wii's 88 mb gpu doovie.

but people arent after that, they are after interactivity!!! thats why the wii is kicking arse!

i personally hate the wiis graphics, but love its interactivity, the cartoon look doesnt do it for me...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Then don't play the cartoon-looking games :D Stick to Twilight Princess and Resi 4!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Although the PS3 is not doing as well as the wii I don't see a death kneel in site for sony gamining sector. Sony still has a lot of backing and over 3.5million consoles is not bad in eight months.

People are buying the wii like hot cakes sure but is the impression sticking? Anybody have a breakdown to show if anyone is playing these machine more than the other?

I would really like the know if anyone is playing or are they just being scooped up because its the talk...then collecting dust like my system.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They seem to be being played, the games -

Japan
softgraph.php

US
softgraph.php

*Next gen really is failing in Japan!

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
$299, and includes one full game.
Haha!!! Yeah, right. A Bluray player for $300?!?! And a game? Systems don't come with games anymore. (Unless you pay more via a bundled package) A Wii costs $300 if you throw in a game.

Any serious answers?

What should they have done? No BluRay, no Cell. Just a DVD drive and an off the shelf CPU. Just a games console and a price that reflects that - £250. £430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.
A PS3 cost £430?!?!:eek: Ok, that is a joke. I bought my 20GB PS3 and a 5 year warranty for £50 cheaper than your proposed price. A 60GB PS3 is about about £235.

*All price conversions done through Dashboard.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Welcome to Europe :D

Though it's probably cheaper in mainland Europe. £430 here. they're being nice enough to bundle a game in now.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
if they bring out an xbox720 that would be overkill. i can see how the ps3 isnt selling highly, cauz of the pricetag!!!! the graphics are totally awsome on it, it kicks the xbox's floating point by 2 and the wii....well lets not start on the wii's 88 mb gpu doovie.

Um, as far as most people can tell the XBox 360 and PS3 have almost identical graphics; in fact, most multiplatform games run BETTER on the 360.

i personally hate the wiis graphics, but love its interactivity, the cartoon look doesnt do it for me...

Cartoon look? Outside of Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Super Paper Mario, what has a cartoon look? Certainly not Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3....

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
farout!!!!!!! that is so incredibly insane i thout the ps3 and xbox would be killing there!!!

Don't be fooled by percentages; the DS takes up a huge amount of the pie chart because it's selling better than any system in Japan's history. Other consoles are still selling well.

If by other consoles you mean Wii and PS2. The PS3 is selling worse than the GameCube did, and NOBODY in Japan buys the XBox 360; they have about a 1% marketshare.
*Next gen really is failing in Japan!

Its not so much that next gen is failing as that the DS is just selling so ridiculously well that it makes everything else look small on the pie chart.

Haha!!! Yeah, right. A Bluray player for $300?!?! And a game? Systems don't come with games anymore. (Unless you pay more via a bundled package) A Wii costs $300 if you throw in a game.

Any serious answers?

Uh...
1) We've been discussing the price point of PS3 without Blu-ray. So yeah, $300 is not unreasonable.
2) "Wii costs $300 with a game"? The Wii *comes* with a game at $250. Are you forgetting that or did you not know that the Wii comes with a game?

A PS3 cost £430?!?!:eek: Ok, that is a joke. I bought my 20GB PS3 and a 5 year warranty for £50 cheaper than your proposed price. A 60GB PS3 is about about £235.

*All price conversions done through Dashboard.

Conversions don't work. They sell the video game systems at much higher prices in Europe. It's ridiculous. I lived in the Netherlands for a while, I just didn't buy any games and bought a ton of stuff on a trip to the U.S...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
2) "Wii costs $300 with a game"? The Wii *comes* with a game at $250. Are you forgetting that or did you not know that the Wii comes with a game?

IIRC it only came with Wii Sports in the US. I know Japan didn't come with Wii Sports, it was a separate purchase.

Ed

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Then don't play the cartoon-looking games :D Stick to Twilight Princess and Resi 4!

My biggest worry about the Wii was that the graphics would disappoint.
The lack of HD sounded bad but so few people have it that it really doesn't make a difference here.
I've been pleased so far by titles such as Mario football. There's a definite step up from the Gamecube days and that's good enough for me. :)

The Wii's success reminds me of the DS. I'm glad that it can house titles such as Mario Strikers which can use the new controller and then games such as Red Steel that make you wonder how you did without it.

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
A bit too much hate on Sony in this thread.

Nintendo has a lead locked up for the next two years with the Wii. But we will see how it stacks up to 360 and PS3 game wise two years from now, when Nintendo has tapped out the casual market.

Sony is sticking to its ten year plan with PS3, so only time will tell. A $300 PS3 with a 250GB hard drive 3 years from now might not be too bad of a deal considering blu-ray et all.

While MS has innovated in the console area, all they have done is lose money really, and even the 360 is selling slower than expected despite the title of this thread.

Listening to people argue over over which console will win this early in the race is like listen to NFL fanatics argue over which rookie and 1st year players will make the hall of fame.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Sony is sticking to its ten year plan with PS3, so only time will tell. A $300 PS3 with a 250GB hard drive 3 years from now might not be too bad of a deal considering blu-ray et all.

I think people are reading too much into the "ten year plan". The PS1 was a ten year plan too; Sony did not stop producing PSOne's and PS1 software until ten years after the original release. The PS2 will continue to be supported for a full ten years too. The PS3 will last ten years, hopefully, but Sony would release a PS4 after the first five.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
1.Um, as far as most people can tell the XBox 360 and PS3 have almost identical graphics; in fact, most multiplatform games run BETTER on the 360.

2.Cartoon look? Outside of Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Super Paper Mario, what has a cartoon look? Certainly not Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3....
1.no they dont have identical graphics, one is better in terms on throughput. most ps3 gaems just arent maxing out to its full potential.

scr_016.jpg

would you not call that cartoony say compared to.......
full%20auto%202.jpg

Don't be fooled by percentages; the DS takes up a huge amount of the pie chart because it's selling better than any system in Japan's history. Other consoles are still selling well.

i wasnt fooled, the DS is flogging everything else out there. the jap ppl must really like the small hand held games and not the good ol console boxes. computer FTW

csista

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
The main reason the Wii is selling so strong is the price, without a doubt. I just bought a Wii, but if the PS3 was the same price, I probably would have made a different choice.

Another big boost for the Wii, is that it's just simple fun. It's a party console. It appeals to the non-gamers better than anything else right now. You can get together with any of your friends, and everyone's laughing, and claiming "Next" for their turn. Guitar Hero is the closest thing we've had to that recently, and I can't even think of the last thing before that.

That being said, remember that it's still early in the cycle for this generation of consoles, and all it takes is one game to turn the tide. Everyone knows that Halo 3, or a new Metroid, or a new Final Fantasy will affect sales. But there's always going to be that one exclusive game that no one saw coming that can change everything. No one could have predicted the effect that Grand Theft Auto 3 would have on PS2 sales. I've been playing video games for a long time now, and I don't think I've ever experienced one game selling a system the way that one did.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Uh...
1) We've been discussing the price point of PS3 without Blu-ray. So yeah, $300 is not unreasonable.

Conversions don't work. They sell the video game systems at much higher prices in Europe. It's ridiculous. I lived in the Netherlands for a while, I just didn't buy any games and bought a ton of stuff on a trip to the U.S...
I agree, a PS3 without BluRay could easily be priced at $300 if not cheaper. But it comes the the BluRay! So it's a little more. (In my case just $100 more for the 20GB)

But the system was $220 in Japan, too.
As as Ed said, the Wii does not come with a game here in Japan. Yes, the Wii was cheaper but if you add the 'demo' game, aka Wii Sports, then you're looking $260-270. Ok, not quite the $300 I said earlier.

1.no they dont have identical graphics, one is better in terms on throughput. most ps3 gaems just arent maxing out to its full potential.

would you not call that cartoony say compared to.......
[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
But to defend Praxis (which doesn't happen often;) ), he did say besides Paper Mario...

[quote="MacRumorUser, post: 3875026"]€625 here (£422) not much difference :([/QUOTE]
Man, I'm really sorry for you Europeans. That IS way too much for a PS3.

But as for a good price point for the PS3... I think Jimmi made my point. (Although probably unintentionally) He said a good price point would be £250 for a PS3 without BluRay and all the other things. But the PS3 does sell for UNDER £250 with BluRay and all the other things. (Just not everywhere in the world) But it is possible. And I think just give it a little more time and Sony will drop the price in Europe. At least I hope. That is way too much. Anyway, for people in America and Asia, and I really don't think price is a valid argument against the PS3.
(I hope that made sense.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
LOL! WTF and other internet terms... Comparing graphics from a deliberate cartoon game to a non-cartoon game?

Hey why not put up graphics style comparison pics of say, Little Big World against Twilight Princess :D
Oh nono, Gears of War versus WarioWare :rolleyes:

And for the sake of it, in Europe the PS3 should cost £250, drop the Core 360 and charge £199 for the Premium and £130 for the Wii.
They all cost too much for what they do.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
LOL! WTF and other internet terms... Comparing graphics from a deliberate cartoon game to a non-cartoon game?

Hey why not put up graphics style comparison pics of say, Little Big World against Twilight Princess :D
Oh nono, Gears of War versus WarioWare :rolleyes:

And for the sake of it, in Europe the PS3 should cost £250, drop the Core 360 and charge £199 for the Premium and £130 for the Wii.
They all cost too much for what they do.

such as WTH, FFS, BBS, BRB hhahahahar kidding..

i wonder how much they cost to make....1/10th of that??

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Definitely. But the cost covers R&D and all that jazz.

Back to what I was saying. IMO the DS Lite is the only system out worth its price. Even the GB Micro here goes for £70, DS Lite at £99 with any game (£35). Damn moneys.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
A bit too much hate on Sony in this thread.

Nintendo has a lead locked up for the next two years with the Wii. But we will see how it stacks up to 360 and PS3 game wise two years from now, when Nintendo has tapped out the casual market.

Two years is pretty much all they'll need. Maybe three more. By then, Nintendo will be cooking up their next system.
And you're joking if you really believe Sony's "ten year" bullsh*t. No technology lasts ten years these days. Yes, the PS3 is powerful. But ten years? No way, man. In ten years we'll have portables with the same power as the PS3, and either Sony (games division) will be gone, or they will be working on the PS5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.