Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I don't know why I'm overcome with emotion and feel the need to put this out here, but:
I love you guys. The internet would be so boring if we didn't have people of different opinions to argue with!

Where's Ed? I'm missing his presence here... :(

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Fine then. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS CARTOONY, and then I will concede. Good luck to you, really, I'd be really impressed if you succeed :D

resident evil 4 isnt cartoony... its in the middle :cool: just chilling

re4ny7.jpg

love you too GFL hahahahaha ({)

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
...isn't that the same concept as Oblivion, depending how you configure the character?

And weren't we discussing graphical styles, not story?

Fine then. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS CARTOONY, and then I will concede. Good luck to you, really, I'd be really impressed if you succeed :D
We are discussing graphical styles. But look at the picture you posted. It's a CARTOON!

I'm not one to really argue whether a cartoony game is good or bad. I like what I like and you like what you like. I'm just pointing out that you post a picture of a cartoon and then tell people to explain how it is cartoony.

Honestly I haven't seen screen shots of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii so I can't comment. Nor do I care too. Just don't post a picture of a cartoon and claim it's not one.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I don't know why I'm overcome with emotion and feel the need to put this out here, but:
I love you guys. The internet would be so boring if we didn't have people of different opinions to argue with!
Haha! I second this!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
We are discussing graphical styles. But look at the picture you posted. It's a CARTOON!

I'm not one to really argue whether a cartoony game is good or bad. I like what I like and you like what you like. I'm just pointing out that you post a picture of a cartoon and then tell people to explain how it is cartoony.

Honestly I haven't seen screen shots of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii so I can't comment. Nor do I care too. Just don't post a picture of a cartoon and claim it's not one.

I still don't get how it's a cartoon. It's not bright and colorful, its dim and misty. There is no cel-shading and while the character is dressed strangely (perhaps in a funny way), the cloth is realistically textured, not cartoon.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
By your standard idea of cartoon, all video games are cartoons.:rolleyes:

I wanted to say this. All games are cartoons in one way or another. You're running around in Halo and get shot. Shield goes down and you start losing health. That's a shard cartoony right there, if it were real (aka, if the Master Chief wasn't a cartoon character) wouldn't a single shot in his leg make him unable to walk? If he's a robot (which some believe) wouldn't a shot in a vital area break the cables and stuff and simply make him collapse into a pile of junk?

Then you have Gears of War with "uber" meat heads, looking like that ridiculous Team Fortress 2 chap without cel shaded graphics.

The only time Zelda shows visual cartoon qualities is through the Ordon villagers. Even then it can be classed as impressionism.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

By golly, I think some of you are actually starting to understand, even with your sarcastic comments!
Yes! They are all in a way cartoons. They are all animations.

I still think some of you think cartoons are all like Mickey Mouse and Mario though.

As an aside, anyone else having trouble with MR? I can only access via my phone.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Where's Ed? I'm missing his presence here... :(

*waves*

I dunno this whole cartooney vs. realism stuff gives me a headache. Here is what i gather, i think at the end of the day we are all after a similar goal, having fun while gaming. I reckon if we all were close enough to grab a beer at a pub we could probably all get a long fairly well, we do after all have at least 1 thing in common, and we all know that we are long winded enough to keep a conversation :D

So same goal, just maybe on a different device. And BTW I am up for that beer anytime if you are nearby.. mmm beer.

Ed

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
obviously, sony does not realize that you dont need a freaking multicore cell processor and the topend GPU and a blu-ray disc drive and full 1080p graphics to have fun.

Drop the blu-ray, or at least switch to HD DVD, and they could make it like $120-$150 cheaper and they wouldnt lose as much per one sold.

Did you know that the wii can put out 720p but nintendo's hiding it? Oo, makes me wonder what will happen next. It can even handle 1080p, but would get shot up with frame-rate problems

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
^Sony has made its multi cell processor 1080p blu-ray reading bed, so now they have to sleep in it. Perhaps that bed is a bit lumpy right now, but with a few good titles and a price drop they can get some market share back.

What's up with all this anti-cartoon garbage? Did cartoons beat you up when you were kids? Such a weird re-occuring theme to be whining about something that is so subjective.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
LOL. Sorry there. Nintendo are hiding nothing, they're not going to flip a switch and activate it.

The Wii can handle higher resolutions just as much as the 360 and PS3 can run higher than 1920*1080. Hell my old sub-£100 ATi graphics cards can handle higher.

It's all about consistency, standards and a smooth playing experience.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Coded Dude- an important note- Microsoft has a very tiny market in Japan, there aren't enough games which appeal to the Japanese people.
If you look at the global picture, the PS3 is far behind all competition. On the global scale, the wii is still outselling the PS3, although it probably isn't six to one (there aren't enough wiis :D )

And in response to the whole 360 vs. PS3, I seem to recall that the PS3 has the potential to be slightly better than the 360 a couple of years from now, but the difference would be too minuscule for the average gamer to notice.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Globally the Wii is outselling 2.25:1, and the Wii is ~1.5 million behind the 360.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I reckon if we all were close enough to grab a beer at a pub we could probably all get a long fairly well…
And BTW I am up for that beer anytime if you are nearby.. mmm beer.

Ed

Love the post Ed :)

But of course, if you and jimmi ever end up in the same pub, you'd both probably end up arguing about which beer is the best. :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Heh, we should all meet up at the next E3. I'm sure by then Jimmi will be one of the showcasers with his indie games. Then we can go egg his booth. :)

obviously, sony does not realize that you dont need a freaking multicore cell processor and the topend GPU and a blu-ray disc drive and full 1080p graphics to have fun.

Drop the blu-ray, or at least switch to HD DVD, and they could make it like $120-$150 cheaper and they wouldnt lose as much per one sold.

Did you know that the wii can put out 720p but nintendo's hiding it? Oo, makes me wonder what will happen next. It can even handle 1080p, but would get shot up with frame-rate problems

I know. I interviewed people at E3.

The Wii's component output is fully capable of 1080p. The fact is, though, that with the limited amount of RAM, trying to run in HD wouldn't leave enough performance left over for the games to run well; so developers would actually have to make the games look worse to make them run in HD.

And since Nintendo isn't providing HD API's to developers, it wouldn't be worth the trouble for third parties to even try it (this is what I was told by a dev I interviewed).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Heh, we should all meet up at the next E3. I'm sure by then Jimmi will be one of the showcasers with his indie games. Then we can go egg his booth. :)

You'll have to come to the Independant Games Festival in Feb! We'll be at the next-next E3 for sure.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I think the PS3 still has a chance to come out a successful console (but not the leader). I just disagree with anyone who thinks it is doing better than the 360 right now.
This thread is about Japan, and PS3 is doing better than 360 in Japan, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
(it only took what.....a week or two for PS3 sales to surpass an entire year of 360 sales)

With the price drop in NA, well see a difference. PS3 immediately rose to the top again(on amazon). I only made an irrational post that goes along with the initial post. WTF does it matter who is outselling who in one region only X amount of months after a launch....that doesn't mean *****. Sony has done nothing this gen except raise the price. The games are in the pipe(expect a lot of hits this fall) and the hardware is even better than before. There is absolutely NO reason for any marginally competent person to believe that the PS3 is "failing." Look at global sales and PS3 is NOT that far behind its predecessors(from the Sony family).

IMHO this thread is worthless......lets talk in 3 years when the mistakes(or lack thereof) from ALL companies are far more apparent. You can't predict the end of a 10 year timeframe a mere 6 months into it. Well, you could, but you'd be a fool to do so.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
IMHO this thread is worthless......lets talk in 3 years when the mistakes(or lack thereof) from ALL companies are far more apparent. You can't predict the end of a 10 year timeframe a mere 6 months into it. Well, you could, but you'd be a fool to do so.

Hindsight is 20/20. One can do that, but there is something to be said for living in the moment. Right now the Wii is doing really well regardless of price, hype, games and whatever else. Saying the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Japan is not in the thread headline either.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Coded-Dude said:
WTF does it matter who is outselling who in one region only X amount of months after a launch....that doesn't mean *****.

It seems to matter to the previous 3rd party devs now going multiconsole, it seems to matter to whoever makes Katamari, et al.

Course it's important. We're coming up to year 1 for the PS3 and Wii and the consumers have seemingly decided (global sales of 2.5:1), therefore devs are moving to match the shift in market. These guys aren't thinking of the long run, that's just 1st and 2nd party devs.
The first year is just so critical.

I'm predicting an absurdly huge sales spike in 360 sales once Halo 3 hits then a bog standard console run.
PS3 fluctuates around. Coming in 3rd, but very close to Microsoft globally.
Wii continues as it does, Nintendo will be first to announce their next system (unless you count predicting the name of Sony's next console name and controller layout :rolleyes:).
DS ascends to heaven.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Hindsight is 20/20. One can do that, but there is something to be said for living in the moment. Right now the Wii is doing really well regardless of price, hype, games and whatever else. Saying the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Japan is not in the thread headline either.

No the title says Wii outselling PS3 6:1 (but that was only in Japan) so I replied with PS3 is outselling 360 in Japan 3:1......so whats the point? I could post a thread say PS3 outselling 360 3:1 in Japan and you woudl all come in and blast me with Wii numbers. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.