Wii Preorder Information?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

When do you think the retailers will start taking preorders?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You have a release date and an official price, why wouldn't stores be taking pre-orders now?

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I was just thinking this. I really want to get one on release day.

4. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I haven't asked my local EB Games for a while, but last time I did the employee said they wouldn't be taking preorders until they got an estimate from Nintendo as to the number of consoles they would be receiving on launch. So I assume that is the issue, who knows if they've received estimates now though.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm thinking i'll probably bounce round some stores early launch day. I'm sure I can find one.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Bingo, I'm a former employee and friend of the managers and this is what he explained to me.

Microsoft shorthanded then and a lot of customers got mad.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I just called Gamestop and they said they will most likely be taking pre-orders the end of this month or the beginning of October.

8. coal macrumors regular

coal

9. coal macrumors regular

coal

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

EB Games/Gamestop stated that no pre-orders will be taken most likely until early October when they get an estimate on how many they will be receiving.

11. strubwii macrumors newbie

strubwii

I went to my local EBgames today and this is what was told to me. I asked if they had started preorders for the Wii...and for a change I got a different answer. The manager said that they were doing something different with the Wii preorders but he couldn't tell me....just yet. I asked if they were asking for more money upfront, he said no. I asked if there were bundles for it, and he said no. He said to check in the next couple of weeks, and/or the beginning of October, and that they would be doing what they're doing for only one week. I don't know what he means, and that's all he could say. Weird.

12. Convoy macrumors newbie

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107954

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Convoy - Very strange one - Gamestop not accepting cash :confused:

I suppose the - we will guarantee you **** but not for christmas / launch is just protection after the dire happenings of the 360 launch, with people who pre-ordered weeks if not months in advance, still did not get their 360....

Has Sony set up a pre-ordering scheme? It was rumored that they would insist stores take a deposit of $150 in order to stop hawkers buying more than one system. Dont see how that would quite work in practice, but in principal it's ok... :)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My local GAME have just ran out of the first stock of pre-orders, allegedly. I think they're keeping some back for people who didn't place pre-orders, the impulse buyers? I mean I'm getting mine online but I'm just curious to see how my mates are going to buy a Wii.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

did they say how many they expect to get in Jimmi ?

I'm going the Lik-Sang route (even though I know i'll end up having to pay customs duty) so I can get a USA machine.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I'm going the Amazon route. I can't imagine how icky the retail situation's going to be over the 17th-19th weekend between the PS3 and the Wii. Not going near it.

18. Convoy macrumors newbie

If memory serves, the Gamecube was pretty easy to find on launch; you just showed up at a BB, CC, or TRU an hour before open and you got one. The Wii launch is pretty sticky for me because I need 2. One for myself and one for my 9 year-old niece. She got a Gamecube at 6 and has been hooked oin gaming ever since. She's inherited my white DS Lite, XBox, and PS2 over the past 10 months, too. :)

I know most people frown on bundling, but after my experience with the 360 last year, as soon as Gamestop or EB put up bundles, I'm buying one. Or two, if I can.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, I don't know how the supply situation was for the Cube when it came out, but all signs (at least, if the sensationalist media are to be believed) point to a pretty serious undersupply of next-gen systems during the Christmas season. Definitely for the PS3 (if the X360 launch serves as precedent), and possibly for the Wii, especially if the wider appeal of the console translates to greater sales outside of the usual hardcore gamer crowd, which it very well may. I haven't bought a console since the Dreamcast, and I'm psyched for November.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Both the Gamecube, Gameboy Advance & SP, DS & DS lite never had a supply problem here. Simply walked into shops without pre-ordering and picked them up.

4 million Wii's before the end of December, chances are we should not have a supply issue (except maybe in Japan where Nintendo & DS sell like hot cakes).

21. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I hope that I can just walk in a get one. I want to preorder somewhere but if gamestop is going to make me trade 50 bucks worth of games, there's no way in hell I'm gonna do it.

22. Convoy macrumors newbie

I found this at gamecubicle.com:

So 1.1 million during November. According to Wikipedia, 500K of the original DS shipped on launch. I found a nice-sized stack on Black Friday at a Toys R Us and a Sears. So I think you'll be safe if you want a Wii. Just show up an hour or so early. I think a million systems at launch is a "sweet spot."

What's of equal importance is how quickly the supply chain gets refreshed. If there were regular shipments of the 360 after launch, things would have been much better.

Both the PS3 and Wii will sell out on their launch days. But you'll have a greater chance of finding a Wii leading up to the holiday season than the PS3.

23. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Soon! Make it soon! I can't wait for release. Now only if Gears of War came to the Wii...

Bobber, your best post link is quality!

24. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

That's a good point. But I don't think it'll be all the grandmas and older parents buying it. It'll be gamers. The Wii should be successful down the long road with a large spectrum of people, just not right off.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree, initally it will be only gamers buying it. It's when non gamers see the wii being played by others that they may be tempted to try it and buy it. But like the DS that will be down the line...