Wii Press Conference

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tommyg117, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    As some of you know, Nintendo will be holding 3 press conferences in the next day or so. It starts with Japan tonight at 8pm EDT, then New York tommorow morning at 9am, and finally Europe on Friday morning at 7am (!). This thread is the official "Final Guesses" thread. Now's the chance to get out your final guess on the price, release date and any other secrets that might possibly be revealed within the next few days. Winner get's bragging rights.

Release Date-Nov 2nd (But hoping desperately for next week)
  2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    i would say 199.99 because it's that psychological sweetspot, even though 229.99 is only 30 bucks more, it looks like a lot more from the whole marketing point of view.
  3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    I think a lot of people expected $199, but I can see $229 with a nice bundle set/pack in including some free VC downloads and a game (most likely Wii Sports). I can't wait...:D
  4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
  5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    Or they could have been smart as CEO Steve:cool: by simulcasting in all three locations thereby reducing hassle and avoiding repetition of the same info(more or less) thrice. So itcould be 9PM Japan, 2 PM Europe and 10 AM New York. One GRAND event is better than three different events within a week.

BTW my guesses are 229$ and last weekend of Oct as the price and launch date of Wii.
  6. sam10685 macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    i'm guessing less than 199 and also i think early october will be the day. i also think nintendo is keeping a hardware feature (or two) from us. just can't think of what it might be. the system already seems perfect.
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    I think Nintendo still has one or two hardware secrets up their sleeve (although they are probably minor). Other than that...
    • I'm hoping they including a better quality cable than just composite with each Wii.
    • A few VC games and Wii Sports as standard would be nice.
    • Only really expecting 1 Wii-Mote as standard, classic controller for out-of-the-box classic gaming would be nice.
    • Price: Probably around $229/ £149.
    • Release: Late October - Early November for US + Japan, Mid - Late November for Europe.
  8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    I'm going to wager $229, because even though it's a weird number, they put out the DS at $129, so it's not too farfetched.

9. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    It's probably designed to be region specific. In Japan they get the region price, release date, and launch titles unit available perhaps, in the US we get our price, launch date etc.. and the same for Europe. Let's everyone feel special and not left out.

I'll guess $200.
  10. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    UK £149.99
    Europe €199 - 219
    USA $199 - 219

All with :- console, rca phono AV cable, 1 nunchuck & remote

Possible bundle including :- console - rca phono AV cable - 2 remotes & 2 nunchuck + Wii Sports $269/299

accessories :-

Nunchuck & Remote $49
    Component cable $19.99-24.99
    Nintendo branded SD Card 512mb $39 - 1gb $69

Games to retail at $39.99 USA €49.99 Europe £34.99 UK

That's my prediction :)
  11. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    Yup that seems like a good one alright. I dont' know why people expect to get so much from a €229 bundle. I think the €299 bundle suggested by MRU is the most likely.
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    £150 console. £29-35 games. £25 controller

But away from numbers I thoroughly believe the Wii to have a GB/GBC/GBA port. A built in Gameboy Player. Every other Nintendo console is there, why not the most popular system series ever? The Gameboy.
  13. Antares macrumors 68000

I don't think that would happen since Gameboy games aren't designed for the big screens of tvs. They only looked passible on the Cube and N64 Gameboy adapters....

But I concur with the $229 US pricepoint. I don't think there will be bundles with the first batch of systems. On the last few systems, Nintendo has released bundles later in the system's life (to help induce sales).
  14. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    It would seem like a simpler solution (and better business plan) for Nintendo to have you play GBA games on your TV using connectivity with the DS. As for older GB and GBC games, they could be made available on the virtual console.
  15. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Exactly. Nintendo have flat out publicly blanked the GB and GBC compatibility, and we've heard that the DS can output its sound wirelessly to the Wii.

and above - Not designed for the big screen? no. But the GB has always been Nintendo's pride and joy. and with extremely cheap GBC and GBA chips like in the GB Player it's financially and nostalgically a possibility.
  16. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    The more I think of it the more I realize that the Wii already has a bunch of cool peripherals on the market in the form of the DS:

- A graphic tablet
    - A "headset"
    - A classic controller (NES, SNES, GB-GBA era)
    - And possibly a GBA player
  17. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    The Japanese Press Conference happens today at 5 PM PDT, right? We should get info tonight then before the US/Europe conferences then.

My guess is $229 US, with Wiimote + classic remote and a packin game.

I would really love it if it accepted the Gamecube's component cables and if the actual Wii OS menu system was in 480p widescreen, as well as every game.
  18. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Times For Nintendo Events In Europe, Asia, North America
    Thanks to Xavi3n@boards.ign.com

Japan Event first:
    • 8:00PM (Wednesday) - 3:00AM (Thursday) EDT
    • 5:00PM (Wednesday) - 12:00PM (Wednesday) PDT
    • 12:00AM (Thursday) - 7:00AM (Thursday) GMT/UTC
    • 1:00AM (Thursday) - 8:00AM (Thursday) BST
    • 9:00AM (Thursday) - 4:00PM (Thursday) Japan Time

US Event comes second:
    • 9:00AM (Thursday) - 4:00PM (Thursday) EDT
    • 6:00AM (Thursday) - 1:00PM (Thursday) PDT
    • 1:00PM (Thursday) - 8:00PM (Thursday) GMT/UTC
    • 3:00PM (Thursday) - 9:00PM (Thursday) BST
    • 10:00PM (Thursday) - 5:00AM (Friday) Japan Time

Finally the Europe event comes third:
    • 7:00AM (Friday) - 1:00PM (Friday) EDT
    • 4:00AM (Friday) - 10:00AM (Friday) PDT
    • 11:00AM (Friday) - 5:00PM (Friday) GMT/UTC
    • 12:00PM (Friday) - 6:00PM (Friday) BST
    • 8:00PM (Friday) - 2:00AM (Saturday) Japan Time
  19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, I don't believe it will. I know that there were some old schematics /pictures of the exterior of the Wii, and they may very well have changed, so you can take this for what you will, but I only remember seeing one port for AV cables. The component cables for the gamecube don't have audio out on them, so there'd have to be another port to output the audio.

Maybe someone who's actually been in the presence of a Wii can tell us.
  20. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanx for the info srobert. I`d assumed it wud be a Press event only. But it`s a complete expo sorta thing. BTW when will they hold the press conference? I guess it`ll be at the start of the expo but I m not sure. Anyways, Just 5 hours to before it kicks off.
  21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    They'll release component cables for it. As for the system menus being available in 480p - pretty likely - I don't see why they wouldn't throw that feature in there since they'll already have to create the menus as it is for SDTVs.
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    So what's the plan then? Will Nintendo kick start it with announcements then onto demonstrations like before? Just 12/1am is a very workable time for me as I go bed at 2am. Better than 5am.... oh James you're not even going back there again.
  23. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I hope the audio and the video cables are separate. My TV is not that close to my audio receiver so a all in one cable is out of the question for me. A decent alternative would be a 360 like cable with the audio-out plug in the base of the component video cables.
  24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Price: $229.
    Release date: late October

Games shown: Teasers from E3 will finally be shown in detail; that includes Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest Swords, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. At least two new games will be shown.

Some new hardware secret, probably not worth getting worked up over (like the speaker). Maybe a microphone, some software capability, or something else.
  25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I already do that on my PC, it works spectacularly. I hooked my GBA up to the PC with a USB-to-link-cable cable and transferred my GBA games into the PC. Then ran them on an emulator, and loaded a program on to my DS via the M3 adapter that lets it connect to my PC via WiFi and send button presses, so it works as a wireless controller.

Viola, DS wirelessly controls PC which is running GBA games, upscaled to 1024x768 with 4x FSAA.