wii/ps3 campout...any tips/suggestions? :)

Discussion in 'Games' started by charlestrippy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

so this will be the first time i've bothered to "camp out" in order to get a console...the reasoning? why not? heh

any tips for a beginner such as which stores to try..? best buy? walmart? sams club? BJ's? circuit city? gamestop? etc....

what time to arrive and start the wait?

any advice = helpful :)

thanks again!

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If it's a PS3 I say a good 16 hrs is in order. Maybe more. For the Wii, I don't see a reason to camp out, get up early and heaf to the store, they'll probably have them in stock. Unless you want to camp out for the fun factor or whatever, the night before should be fine.

This Wii launch kind of makes me wish they would've limited the quantities. The last Gen I was to young to camp out. This Gen I don't see a reason to with so many being released, but I just might do it for fun. :D

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

haha yeah that's what i've been reading....
    i may do it for fun too...

any stores i should do it with?

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Best Buy is a fun place to camp out around here. When the PS2 was released our store mgr got doughnuts and was out side throwin footballs early in the AM with the crowd. Everyone was excited about the launch, and it seemed like everyone was havin a good time.

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm going to camp out in front of BestBuy.
    Well, arrive at like 4 or 5am.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If that's for a PS3 you might consider either going a LOT earlier than that, by at least 10 hours, or just sleeping in and not getting one til after xmas.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm probably going to go around 11:00 PM to camp, I think.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Take a DS with you. More than likely someone else will have one too and you can play games while you wait.

- or Pictochat! Score!

9. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

For the Wii, I have been reading that the US is going to allocate the 1 million properly. Supposedly Best Buy will have 100 units atleast. Then you add the other stores in your area. It seems that the line up might not be necessary.

For the PS3, the more quicker you get the, the better you chances. From what I have seen at the pre-orderes this past weekend, they are going to get there early. You will want to get there days early, not hours. There were reports of people who were camping out on Friday for a pre-order. The pre-order started on sunday morning. It's getting pretty rediculus.

I myself will be at Best Buy early, not too early though. My local store is opening two hours early for both system launches. So i don't have to wait outside till 11AM EST for the store to open, just 9AM.

10. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I waited 22 hours for the PS3 pre-order. If I came 3 hours later I would not have a pre-order.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I've decided that Wal-Mart at ~11 or 11:30pm seems adequate for a Wii. I live in a pretty populated area, so we will probably get a good number of consoles. My wife even said that she'd come out with me. :)

12. Malus macrumors 6502

Anyone know how many wiis walmart is supposed to get for each store?? I figure since there are so many of them across the US, that they would get the majority of the systems...them and Best buy of course.

13. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I arrived at the local BB around 3pm for the 360 release last year. I was 7th in line. :eek:

Oh, and bring a chair, water, beef jerky, and some form of entertainment. Oh, and make friends with the people around you quickly for the bathroom breaks.

Good luck!

14. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

15. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

have one - luckily - i have a badass job and **** to allow me to waste my life and time sitting infront of a best buy at 3am :rolleyes:

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

How do bathroom breaks work?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

First you decide if you need a number 1 or a number 2, do i need to go on ;) :p :D ..........

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

lol, as in, where do you go (aren't all the stores closed?) and how do you prevent people from taking your spot in line?

19. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

are places like best buy allowing...

you to purchase more than one? My neighbors kid wants one for christmas, but i know his parents aren't going to camp for it... if i go and can get a good spot in line for myself, i might as well grab one for them too.

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Take a relative with you. My younger brother is coming with me to Wal-Mart. :D

21. Convoy macrumors newbie

I've done several camp-outs. Most recently, I did 17 hours for the XBox 360 on launch day. :) Here's my advice:

a) Arrive as EARLY as you can. You think 11 pm the night before is early enough? Think again. To be safe, I'd arrive at least at 4-5 PM the day before... even that might be too late. More on this later...

b) If you're on the east coast, midwest, northwest, bring layers. coat, scarf, gloves, extra socks. It may be cold. Don't get frostbite.

c) Be friendly with the store management. If you are first in line, or near the front of the line, send someone in to talk to the manager/person on duty. Ask them where you can line up so that you won't block traffic. If the group is willing to work with management, things run smoother.

d) Try to be one of the first 10-15 in line. The further back you are, the more aggrivated people become. They worry they won't get one, fights start, pushing... all that.

e) If you're going to arrive earlier than friends, bring chairs/markers/some way to denote there are extra people. If your friends come up an hour before the doors open and hop in line with you, there WILL be a fight.

<For the 360 launch, my camp-out was unexpected. I went with my sister to drop my niece off at school, and we drove past the Best Buy in Burbank, IL. They were doing a midnight launch, and I noticed 5 people in line. I hopped out and got in line... I forgot I left my car at home. Duh. My dad decided to come and watch the zaniness at 10 PM... and buy himself a new plasma. I made sure to tell the folks behind me that my dad was coming to join me, but he wasn't getting a system. They were cool with it.>

f) be as friendly as possible with the folks around you. Sure, some people will be asses, but most are cool. You'll even find that they'll watch your spot while you go to the bathroom. For the XBox 360 launch, we even took turns getting food for each other.

g) Bring CASH, CREDIT/DEBIT CARD, or GIFT CARD to pay. Don't bring a check. Folks are always outraged when a chain store decides to not accept a check at launch.

I've witnessed good launch lines (XBox at the old Toys R Us at 87th and the Dan Ryan in Chicago), horrible launch lines (Gamecube at the same Toys R Us). The best was last year for the 360. Store management had a plan (the manager walked the line and told people what to expect all day, going so far as to video tape the line at intervals so there was no line jumping) and those of us in the front of the line kept things orderly.

Store management plays a large part in how well (or horribly) things go. If you follow my tips, you should be OK.

22. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Niiice. Thanks for the tip. Well i thought I wouldn't have to camp out because I got my GameCrazy Pre-order back in Dec '05 and was #4 on the list. Now Gamcrazy is telling me that they will only get two untis....2! So I'm left to camping.:mad:

23. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

24. doktormoo macrumors newbie

Lines

Sam's club. I am biased as I work for them in this category, but we always have good prices prices games and the console bundles are a good value. Usually we are about $5-10 cheaper than BB and Target but "you have to have a membership card to get inside."

25. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Whoa. I was there an hour and 15 minutes early and was second in line. My boys want me to get to the launch at least a couple hours early just to get back in front of the other pre-orders - although, I don't expect any supply issues... for the first 16 anyways :p