Wii Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by steamboat26, Jul 19, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't know if there is somewhere where i can find the answer to this question, but i haven't found it.
    Anyways, i way recently looking at the Wii as an alternative to the PS3 and 360, which i can't afford unless the price goes down alot. I heard that Nintendo will have a game download service, where you can get NES/SNES/N64 games. Any idea how much these games will cost to download? Any possibility of free games?
    Also, i think the controller is cool, but not work for certain games. are there any plans to come out with a regular controller for games that don't open themselves up to the motion sensitive Wii-mote?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Check Nintendo.com(there is a different controller)....I think the games will cost like $10 to download.

Bless

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can use Gamecube controllers with the Wii (there are four GC controller ports on top of the system) and the DL games will cost $5-10, from what I've heard.

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

What we know so far:

5. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

and what we also know so far is that you can enable GC disc to play on Wii console. Not sure how it work since it's slot-loading thing. But that will be awesome!

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

A bit of text that shed some light (albeit very little):

I wonder how they pulled this off. Usually slot loading CD/DVD players couldn't accept different sized disks. (Not that I know of) They probably had it designed from scratch.

_

Attached Files:

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

afaik, it is a proprietary drive that Nintendo designed or had designed for use with the Wii. i don't think it is a terribly hard thing to implement, just hard to get it to work smoothly all the time. but i'm glad its backwards compatible, very very glad.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Either a lot of people wanted it or Iwata/someone did mention this. But I'm sure bundling games was mentioned, ie, buy Metroid Prime 3 and get Metroid 1 for free etc. They're doing that now so I don't see why they'd stop.

9. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

My old iMac G3 had a slot loading drive and it was able to accept mini discs. So yeah, it is very possible and has been for quite some time.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Pricing has not been announced, though Nintendo did say that in addition to classic games new simple titles will also be distributed over it (like XBox Live Arcade) for $5.

They've also said there will probably be free games given out for stuff.

Also:
    [​IMG]

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo would be wise to release a fully independent version of that controller, wireless and all. It just looks like the sexiest electronic ever, IMO.

12. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

True dat. I love the look of the Wii controllers.

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The A and B buttons are a nice touch, but other than that it looks pretty boring to me.

14. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah I agree on the boring, it's not totally bad though :cool:

My main concern with all controllers is the ergonomics of it. I hope it's comfortable, which appraently it is :)

15. pcypert macrumors 6502

Just as long as it's not super tiny like the japanese controller for the Dreamcast. Dang that thing hurt my big hands...

16. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I second that notion. I hope 3rd party controller companies come up with classic controllers that are better suited for N64 games. I hate that dual-shock analog stick set up!

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe that cord connects to the remote. So it is essentially wireless.

18. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

As long as they are making it compatible with the GC controller...
    I think they should make it compatible with my cool old SNES controller, for the old school style :D

19. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

What I like about it is its simplicity. I think that it looks so much more elegant than any of the other controllers out today.

20. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

In case you missed my earlier post, they are making the Wii compatible with the GC controller. ;)

21. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

for gamecube games. it still remains to be seen if a gc controller will work for virtual console games as well. I'd certainly love it if they did, and I really see no reason why they wouldn't, but nonetheless, we don't know yet. ;)

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Another quick question about the VC. What kind (if any-but I assume there'll be some) of copy protection will be in place on the VC games? What kind of protection is on the 360 Arcade games? Will it be something like the iTunes activation scheme: register up to 5 Wii's with one account?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know for sure but I think Live Arcade uses .swf files.
    No idea on the VC games. I can imagine them using a Steam like system, like someone could have counteless VC games, copy the SD card and put them in another system only to have them not play unless you "unlock" them by paying. Makes sense.

24. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

a wireless SNES controller on steroids... that'd be the coolest electronic thing ever. i'd sell my cell phone just to get one or two or three.

25. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

that is why i said "as long as they are making the Wii compatible with the GC controller" :D