Wii Questions???

Discussion in 'Games' started by BrianDavid0523, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I have a Wii on order from Amazon, should be here today.

Does it come with the cable to conntect to my TV or do I have to purchase that separate?

Also does it have built-in memory for game data & downloads, or do I have to buy SD Memory for that?

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    it has 512mb built in memory, and it comes with the cables required to connect it to your tv. It also comes with a wiimote and nunchuk and wii sports
  3. BrianDavid0523 thread starter Guest

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you.

I guess the built-in memory isn't going to be enough to store a few downloadable classic games - hence the SD Memory slot for extra storage.
  4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Actually, the 512 should be enough to store several games and gamesaves.

The NES games clock in at around 1MB, and N64 games around 8-12MB (can anyone confirm the size of Mario64?). And considering the fact that the largest game on the N64 was 64MB (source) the 512 MB will be fine for a while.

I really don't see myself needing an SD card for data for some time, although mp3 tracks for Excite Truck and photos require it, there's enough for the Opera browser and my Zelda and Wii Sports data.
  5. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    My SNES rom collection is 800mb alone and the N64 collection is about 400mb, they were all downloaded when I had dial up even... so yeah I don't think 512mb will cut it, especially considering you'll have to put wii save games on it as well.
  6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Yeah, but thats hundreds of game ROMS, and there are currently like what, 30 games total on the VC.

I'm not saying that in a few years (or even by the end of '07 necessarily) that 512MB will be enough to store all the saves and VC titles, but for the next several months the majority of Wii owners should be fine with just the built-in memory. I said the 512MB would be fine for a while (meaning not indefinitely, but everyone's mileage will vary).
  7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    I am thinking sooner or later they will give the ability to run channels and savegames from your SD card. right now you can only use it as a backup and not in "real time" as if it were system memory. This probably will come in the form of a system update. Hopefully at the same time that they enable the USB ports :D

Some games wont copy over either, elebits will not copy savegames.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    You can also delete any VC games when you're done with them for the extra space and re-download them at no extra cost.
  9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    And that's even more of a reason for me to hold off on buying an SD card for the Wii. I'm all for expandable memory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to put a 4GB SD card in there with a few mp3s and pics and whatever else. But right now, my Wii budget doesn't include an SD card (4GB or otherwise - more realistically a 256 or 512), only more Wiimotes... now if I could only find them. :p