Wii: Red Steel, NFS Carbon, Wii Sports Review

Discussion in 'Games' started by ddrueckhammer, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Wii Sports 8.8 - Wii Sports seems like the perfect pack in game because it is instantly accessible and almost anyone who sees it wants to play it. The graphics are cartoony and the controls are sometimes wonky but it is still an instant classic party game.

Tennis-Tennis is really fun. I played a few games with my sister and she had trouble figuring out forehand vs. backhand but otherwise had a blast. The only caveat being, there should be a singles option but otherwise its great.

Bowling - I think everyone likes this one because it requires the least physical exertion and is also 4 player. Also, the ability to add spin to the ball tremendously adds to the experience of this game. I couldn't figure out how to have 4 people play with two wiimotes...I guess you just have to share one for multiplayer...

Golf - My dad and I actually both really like golf. There seems to be alot of depth to this game. As others have no doubt pointed out, it is difficult to control the power of your swing but that is why you get practice swings. It seems that power has more to do with how much you carry your swing through than how hard your swing...Overall, very fun.

Boxing - Everyone in my family loves boxing. Maybe its because we all have Miis made and it is fun to beat each other up...The controls sometimes don't register but I am usually too busy swinging to notice. Also, the hooks and uppercuts don't work very well. Still, this is my favorite Wii Sports game and the best workout too.

Baseball - Baseball seems like the longest game but it is very fun and just what you would expect. I haven't figured out how to control the types of pitches...fast-ball, curve-ball etc. but overall it is a good approximation of baseball.

Red Steel 7.0 - I started out trying to play multiplayer on Red Steel with my future brother in-law and didn't really have that much fun. The controls are what everyone says...hard to get a grip on...The problem too me seems to be that gun moves with the Wiimote and it should be fixed. Also, there should be some kind of way to turn-around quickly but there isn't. The best way I could find to play was to keep the Wiimote still and use the nunchuck to move and aim the centered target...Graphically, the game is mediocre. It has moments where it looks good but they are spoiled by cheese-ball fire and smoke effects. Also, the guns you pickup in multiplayer are represented by weird neon icons...They just look stupid and out of place...After my multiplayer experience, I wasn't very enthusiastic about Red Steel but I decided to give single player a go...Wow what a difference. While the enemies are easier on single player, the crappy controls make them seem difficult. Single player has a very arcade feel to it with tacked on boss/sword fights. The arcade feel comes because you are forced to find cover and shoot so it feels like an on-rails shooter...The sword fights are fun but are not 1 to 1 so they really aren't difficult at all. Also, you can see your enemies attacks coming from a mile away so they are easy to parry...Red Steel is a mixed bag. It is easy to see the potential but even if it were perfected, the cheesy special effect and story would drag it down. The multiplayer only has a couple of maps and only death matches for two players and a couple of other options for 4 players. IMO, multiplayer feels very much like playing something like Perfect Dark on N64 with more difficult controls. Not horrible, but once you have played something like UT or Halo it is hard to go back...It is probably a good renter for anyone who likes FPS games though...

NFS Carbon 7.0 - NFS Carbon was very hard to control at first. Also, the main menu layout and controls just suck. You use the d-pad to select options which might seem like a good choice but when every other game uses the Wiimote point and click style it seems antiquated. There are 5 (count them) 5 control schemes. I tried the control scheme like Excite Truck where you hold the Wiimote on its side and use it to steer but it is hard to make sharp turns. This control scheme has loose, medium, and tight settings so if you experiment you might find one that suits you. My favorite control scheme involved using the nunchuck stick to steer and moving the Wiimote from a vertical position to a horizontal one to control acceleration. Once, I was able to navigate a few courses without hitting every stop sign and phone booth the game became more enjoyable. Graphically, like all of the Wii games I have played, NFS Carbon is in the PS2 approaching Xbox level area. I don't really like that all of the courses are at night in this game. It makes them all look the same and seem really boring. NFS Carbon is fun once you spend an hour figuring out how to steer but the lower level graphics are more noticeable and you also are limited to just a few cars in multiplayer unless you go to the trouble to unlock more in single player. For this reason, I wouldn't even put it on the top of my list as a renter. There are at least 5 or 6 better Wii games right now to play first.

Wii System 9.5 - Overall, the Wii is tons of fun. Miis are fun to make but I wish they had more uses besides Wii Sports and the Mii parade. The internet channel works surprisingly well. I wouldn't want it to replace my Mac for browsing the internet because typing is slower but for looking up stuff quickly or reading the news it is very functional. I haven't used the photo channel that much yet but I do wish Nintendo would have included an audio and video channel as well. I downloaded The LoZ and Super Mario Brother and they are pretty much as I remember them. There are things to complain about here (lack of updated graphics/multiplayer) but if all you want to do is play the classic game, they are fine and IMO complaining is nitpicking. Finally, I also own Twighlight Princess but didn't want to take the space to review it here. It is a 10 though and the only negatives I can find are a lack of voice acting and non-HD graphics. Otherwise, it is superb. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 both have their place and are good systems but the Wii is my favorite current gen. console and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Nintendo's old school properties or likes to play fun multi-player or party games.

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've been playing a RS off and on for over a week now, and I noticed that the graphics were eh and downright poor for the cut-scenes. But tonight after starting up Metroid Echos again, I've lowered RS's graphic quality to that of vomit, about 10 marks below poor

The art director for RS needs to be slapped, or whoever rushed them into this vomit. Retro Studios art directors certainly put UbiSoft's art peeps to shame.

The controls don't bother me at all. If you press the "A" button, the controls tighten in to a traditional FPS position. I like this option, because it gives me the choice between quick and tight movements. You can turn much faster in the crazy free flow mode. It's definately no Counter Strike, but sooo much better than the horrid thumb-method when it comes to free aiming.

And on FPS games, Farcry looks like crap and wasn't optimized that well, but its FPS cotnrols are well thought out. Especially when using two guns.

Nintendo hit the mark with the Wii. I would rate it about the same as you. :)

If you're playing on an HD set and have not got the component cables, go out of your way to find them.

<]=)

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Players 1 & 3 use wiimote #1 and players 2 & 4 use wiimote #2. My friend has 2 wiimotes and this is the wii sports game we play the most. Player 1 uses wiimote #1 and selects their character. Player 2 uses wiimote #2 and selects their character. Player 3 uses wiimote #1 and selects their character. And player 4 uses wiimote #2 and selects their character. That's how it works.
    I can't wait to pick one of these up :)

4. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree with your reviews for the most part, with the exception of NFS since I never played it.

I've played a ton of different Wii games and it seems that Wii Sports is the one most of my family & friends enjoy the most. I really hope they make either make a sequel or make some individual sports games with MUCH more accurate controls (I'm talking to you, boxing!)

Also, I rented Elebits last week and its really fun! It gets WAY too confusing in a 4 player mode, but its still a fun & entertaining game. the controls are amazing!

5. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ah...Ok I think I got confused when picking teams I guess...Thanks for the tip!

Oh and I have the component cables and they do make a big difference on my HD plasma! The Wiis graphics overall are fine to my eyes. People who complain, I would say, really are graphics whores.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I agree. One thing that annoys me about reviews too, reviewers will go "Oh the graphics are good, but their not as good as the 360 or PS3" (e.g Call of Duty) and sometimes go on to reduce the games score because of that. For gods sake we all know at this stage that the graphics wont be as good as the 360's so stop telling us reviewers! And please rate the graphics on how they compare to other games of the same console not the ultra powerful competitors.

Rant over. I feel better now :p

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Reasonable reviews, I think your very generous with red steel though.

5/10 would be better. It would be a fairly bland FPS with generic everything if it wasnt hampered by a rough control scheme. As it stands its pretty awful.

I'd definetly give the wii 9.5/10

But think it works best in a party / multiplayer experience setting. As a console to go along with my 360 its excellent. Now I can have the best of graphics and FPS games and online with the 360 with the best of fun and light entertainment console for friends and groups with the wii.

8. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I pretty much agree with you. I probably was a little generous with Red Steel but I actually like it a little more than NFS Carbon. The main reason why I gave it such a high score is despite the fact that the controls are horrible it is easy to see how they could improve the FPS genre if they were perfected.

Excite Truck is by far the best game I've played after Zelda now.

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Yeah, I got NFS for Christmas, and after playing it for a couple of days, I've decided it's not worth keeping. It just doesn't feel like it was 'made for the Wii' (which it wasn't- it's a port). I'll wait for one specifically designed for the system.

10. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I found Red Steel for $30 shipped, and almost pounced until I read this. Now I am debating if I am wasting $30 or not

11. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I would recommend doing what I am doing. Get a Gamefly account or a rental account at your local video store and rent the launch titles. That way you can decide what games are worth buying yourself for under $20. So far the only games I think are worth buying are Zelda and Excite Truck but I've only played those and NFS, Red Steel, and Rayman...

I got S ratings on all of the Bronze, Silver, and Gold races in Excite Truck but can't seem to win the Platinum ones. After Platinum, I think there is a Diamond Circuit that is in space. The split screen racing is fun and the single player is challening to me.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Red Steel was fun as soon as you could get used to the controls.

Excite Truck is the best racing game out for the system

Zelda.. well its probably the best game for the system

Elebits was awesome, lots of fun, really shows what the controllers can do. The dialogue is a bit cheesy but overall the game is superb.

Madden 07 is probably one of the most fun sports games that i have ever played. the Wii controller just brings a whole new aspect to the game. Dont expect much in the way of graphics, better than a cube version but overall the game play is the highlight.

Ed

13. mcarvin macrumors regular

It wasn't THAT bad. Yes, plenty of flaws which I hope Ubisoft hears and accounts for in Red Steel 2. I actually really liked the art direction for the cutscenes, but it was just too inconsistent. Some environments looked beautiful; others looked more like a bad PS2 engine. Aiming was also a PitA until you got the hang of the little quirks and even then it was, again, inconsistent.

6 or 7/10 is what I'd give it. And while the Wii won't give us GRAW, Gears or Lost Planet, it will give us a whole new way of playing FPS.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Definitely. Excite Truck and Twilight Princess are hands down, no question, without doubt, the best Wii games available. I'd put Wii Sports in 3rd place behind them. There's no real point in buying anything else since those will keep you busy for a while. Red Steel I'd say was fun, but I agree with everyone else about its flaws. It has lots of POTENTIAL, which is why I hope they address all complains in RS2.

Are you playing regular "Excite" mode? After that you unlock Super Excite, which is where Diamond Cup is. And after you get S ratings in Super Excite, there's yet another mode you unlock. ;) The only thing Excite Truck is missing is a 4 player option. :(

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've got Zelda and Excite Truck, was thinking of getting Rayman. Is it worth it?
    After you get S rankings on EVERYTHING you unlock Super Excite mode, a high difficulty mode.

After you pass Super Excite mode, you unlock Diamond Circuit.

I have gotten all the S rankings. I can't seem to beat the Gold circuit on Super Excite though! It's ridiculously hard.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

And AI in two player.

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No (IMHO... I just got it and am not too impressed so far). Wait for Wario Ware or Mario Party.

18. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Rayman will be worth it when the price drops to $35-40. I bought it, and I liked it, but I'd feel guilty recommending it at full price. It's hilarious, though.

19. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Sorry, for the late reply. I was away from my computer for a couple of days. I would say that Rayman might be worth it but I would wait to see how Wario Ware and Mario Party turn out. I hear Madden football is actually pretty good for the Wii if you like those games and might provide a better multiplayer experience but it might be worth waiting for Madden 08 if you don't have alot of money to burn.

Oh, and I'm playing on Super Excite. I'm still working on beating the Platinum races. They are really hard to me. Excite truck is very accessible because it starts out pretty easy and progresses to OMG hard.

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I always thought that would be a kickass game to play with friends when there is nothing better to do... I'm buying Zelda (the only game that really compells me to buy a Wii now) and probably Rayman or Warioware, depending on when I get the Wii (as it stands now, it will probably be Warioware).

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Probably a better choice.

22. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

great review man, you should prolly try ZELDA or Rayman, i hear good things about that. Just makes me want the Wii more!

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

He mentions that he owns Zelda in his last paragraph.

Behold my lame Wiinalogy;
    Hesitating on a Wii purchase, is like holding yourself back from a "premium" all-you-can-eat buffet on an empty stomache. This buffet also has a variety of food that no other can offer. ;)

<]=)

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Using the words buffet and premium in the same sentence together should be a crime :)

I like the Wii lineup, and have enjoyed the 7 games i have for it. The real test will be after the Holiday season to see if it can keep up with the big boys.

Ed

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah it should be and it's a rarity indeed, that's why the Wii is a good thing. :)

Big boys; That's laughable. This is the "second" holiday season for one of those so-called big boys and their sales couldn't even compete with the second BB's last-gen console. And to add insult to injury, they have yet to make a profit after pouring billions upon billions into their quest to own our living rooms. Meanwhile, the second BB is having an identity crisis, while their music division does its part to tick-off their user-base.

The Big "N," the other boys older brother has nothing to worry about. They've always profited. They seem to have a knack at innovating and rejuvinating the market when it has reached a point of stagnation, which has been the case for a few years now. They haven't forgot why we game in the first place, because it's fun. It's very fitting that the company that brought us thumb-twiddling, be the one that offers a better alternative. ;)

<]=)