Wii RGB Scart Cable

Discussion in 'Games' started by tyr2, Jan 30, 2007.

1. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I finally got hold of a Wii the other day. Loving it, much fun indeed.

My TV won't do component video but it will do RGB over SCART (still 576i). Does anyone have any comments on whether it's a worthwhile upgrade over the standard composite cable? It's £23 quid so not cheap if it's only a minor improvement.

Cheers.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

YES. It's a vast improvement over composite, and offers the next best picture to component.

Composite is ugly period and should be outlawed in 2007 ;)

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Agreed 100%. SCART is worth every penny of the upgrade, even though it can't do progressive.

4. tyr2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Cheers guys it sounds really good. Now to see if any of the shops have one...

5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I have to say that the improvement in my experience hasn't been major. It's a bit more stable, but that's it. If your TV only has one SCART socket (like mine), then it's also a pain to be changing the cable over, whereas previously I had just changed AV channel with the remote. Just something to consider.

However, when I put the Wii through my fiance's dad's HD set, it actually looked worse than when we'd used composite. Lots of jagged edges.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But are you putting the RGB scart into an RGB scart socket. Otherwise the signal is still composite even though its in a scart socket.

Hence you will see no improvment if your not using the RGB socket on your TV.

7. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i am considering upgrading. however when i looked at the official nintendo cable it seemed to lack the full 21 pins which i thought were necessary to transmit rgb.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Nope, it's wired up to transmit RGB. I think it's the automatic widescreen pins that aren't wired up so you have to switch between screen ratios manually (which shouldn't be too much of a problem with Wii games as most are widescreen).

9. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Well, I'm guessing the SCART socket on the HDTV would be RGB SCART - it's a big, expensive and brand new TV. As for my little LG TV, it's one of these:

RZ15LA70. I can't tell if it's RGB SCART or not, but it's fairly fully-featured in general.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Done a quick Google and I'm fairly confident that that TV supports RGB. However, my 15" Philips LCD (roughly 2 - 3 years old), gave a huge difference when switching from Composite to SCART. I did comparisons and the colours were much more vibrant and it got rid of the horrible dot crawl effect. Yes there were a few jaggies at first, but I dove into my TVs menu and turned down the sharpness a touch so it didn't look so sharp that I could clearly see them. Maybe you could try that out if your TV has a similar feature.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tried looking for a SCART lead today. A while back I plugged up my Cube and my Wii both playing Metroid at the same spot. Wii- composite, Cube- SCART (thanks MRU :D ).

The difference was outstanding. The composite picture looks flat, faded, even appeared to flicker more (both systems were in 480i).

12. tyr2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tyr2

After your comments I got a RGB cable and I've just plugged it in. Wow, what an improvement. The text on the news channel is now very readable even in the smalest text. Hopefully I'll be able to actually read the text in Zelda now.

Well worth the cash, would recommened it to anyone wondering the same thing.