Wii: S-Video, Component, other?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Nov 14, 2006.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Looking for some specific advice from you knowledgeable folks, but maybe this thread can have a wider focus on Wii video issues.

My questions: I have a Sony CRT (non-WEGA) with 1x component input, 1x s-video input, plus composite.

- I assume the max resolution on this is 480i (is that standard for non-digital TVs)?

- GC currently lives on s-video, and DVD on component. From anyone who's tried both s-video and component on 480i/non-digital - will I get any big performance bump-up in going from one to the other? Composite to s-video gave me a bit of extra sharpness, plus I had a free port. But going to component with Wii would require extra cables, plus downgrading my DVD (or buying s-video for that). I'll do component if anyone can recommend it, but probably not otherwise. Guess it's implied that my default option is to do s-video if/when Nintendo offers a cable.

- Any comments on picture quality of Nintendo vs. 3rd-party (MadCatz) video cables? Have the latter as my s-video; quality pretty good, but I have a bit of signal noise/flicker that I'm not sure is due to the cable, running too many cables through a small space, or both.
  2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    On a non-HDTV, the difference between the 3 cables will be negligible. For your situation, I wouldn't recommend going component. Stick with the S-Video (or even composite for that matter). There's probably not going to be much difference on the picture quality between the 1st and 3rd party cables so pick up whatever is cheaper. I picked up a universal S-Video cable (GC, PS2, XB) for around $7 (until I got the cube component cables for my HDTV). You should be able to find one for around that.
  3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks. I did find a small difference between composite and s-video in the latter's favor on my GC. My cable has both s-video and composite video inputs, so I plugged both in, then kept plugging s-video in & out, in & out, and could see slight but noticeable sharpening (particularly on text). Figure component might do the same, but it helps to have someone tell me to save my $$$.

...oddly enough, Nintendo, the "no next-gen visuals," is making me want to upgrade to a 480p+ TV. It'll pass.
  4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Wii can do 480p, and depending on the quality of your TV there can be a very noticeable difference, IMO, between composite, S-video, and component. For smaller TVs you might not see that big a difference between S-video and component, but even on the crappy 15" TV I had in college there was a very noticeable difference between composite and S-video.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Oh, you'll get a noticeable difference between S-Video and component, but like you said, you'd have to downgrade your DVD player to S-Video. Although... you could get a switch. For about $30 extra, you could have a switcher that does both the DVD and Wii in component. Here's how.

A component A/V switcher does nothing different than a standard composite A/V switch: it just switches between multiple RCA connections, which both composite and component are RCA connectors. The composite ones are generally cheaper anyway.

So if you hook up the DVD player and Wii to the composite jacks Red>Red, White>Blue and Yellow>Green then you can switch between two composite sources. However, a standard composite A/V switch will only have 3 ports, not 5, which leaves out the audio signal. If you're routing the audio to a separate receiver, this isn't a problem really, but if you're routing all the sound into the TV, then you're gonna be a couple of connections short. The solution is to get two splitters Link(2xRCA female to 1xRCA Male) This will allow you to connect the 2 right channels (DVD and Wii) to a single right audio input on the TV and the 2 left channels to a single left audio input on the TV. It might sound complicated, but it's not that complicated. I'll try to explain it a little better if you want.
  6. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    ^^^ Thanks. I see where you're going with this. I'll probably just stick with S-video. Like you said, at 480i, the difference won't be overwhelming. Only problem is where to get the cable. Heard nothing out of Nintendo. EBstop lists a MadCatz one at $40 (!) Probably wait for prices to come down.
  7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I'd say check out the EBstop or Wal-Mart or something. You might not get a MadCatz cable, but you won't be spending $30 either.
  8. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    The difference between component and s-video on any TV HD or not is going to be great, anyone who says any different is talking garbage. 480i via component > 480i via s-video. If you have the option of using component you should.
  9. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2005
    Bournemouth, UK
    as a brit i currently have my GC hooked up via RGB SCART but would love to change that to S-Vid. currently i've seen component and RGB leads for sale over here but i wondered if anyone else had heard of them doing an s-vid solution? can't be that hard surely.
  10. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Component is a noticeable jump from composite, even on standard def sets, the picture looks cleaner, less fuzzy, no color bleeding and overall better with component over composite, at least it was pretty noticeable on my PS2 on a 27" CRT tv.