Wii SCART switching proble. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Games' started by displaced, Feb 10, 2007.

1. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Grrrr.

I've just set up a new TV and A/V system (shiny new LCD telly! woohoo!) and have run into a problem with the Wii.

It doesn't seem to do SCART switching properly. I've got my Sky+ satellite DVR connected via RGB SCART to the TV's RGB-capable SCART. Since its other SCART socket is composite-only, plugging the Wii into that isn't an option. So instead I've plugged the Wii into the Sky+'s 'VCR' SCART socket. The Sky+ box honours the switch signal on its VCR SCART socket, which means that it'll switch over to the input when the device connected is turned on.

So, it should work like this: turn on the Sky+ box and the TV will turn to its SCART input and show the Sky+ signal. Turning on the Wii will cause the Sky+ box to pass the Wii signal through to the TV. Turning off the Wii should then cause the Sky+ box to switch back to showing its own signal.

However, putting the Wii into standby doesn't cause it to turn off its switching signal, so the Sky+ continues to show the Wii output (a blank screen). Turning the Wii completely off by holding the power button (the standby LED goes red) does turn off the switching signal, however that means WiiConnect24's disabled.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it's something Nintendo could fix via a firmware update. At the moment, I'm getting by with unplugging the AV cable from the back of the Wii, but that kinda ruins the ability to turn the Wii on and off via the remote!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes it's another annyoing wii glitch, like the pal component VC problems.

Turn wii connect24 off I think was the solution. Or alternitivly save electricity and turn the wii off properly :)

They 'may' release a patch.

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

Seems the PS3 has fewer problems than the Wii. :p

Hey MRU I tried adding you to my MSN but you ignored my request. :eek:

Is it possible to turn off the auto switching on that box?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They all have problems - thank god for firmware updates :)

PSN - Oh sorry I might not have even noticed it :eek:

I'll go and double check it now. I thought I had sent you a request though :confused: ?

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

Not noticing any request. :confused:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yep klystron is greyed out on mine with request pending? I'll re-do it.

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

:p I said MSN not PSN. I was going to add you to PSN tonight. :rolleyes:

Steven

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:D doh.

I havent got MSN on because it's usually on my macbook, but since the HDD and the logic board died over a week ago, it's been in for repair, and they are still waiting for parts to come in, so it wont be back until at least the end of next week. I'll make sure your added when it gets back. :)

Oh and sorry to the OP for taking the thread away from your subject, but I did answer that in the first reply.

Basically the only solution is to go to Argos or somesuch and buy one of those RGB scart switching blocks and then you can change from Sky to Wii by pressing the button and selecting the channel.

MRU :)

9. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

You better just unplug the Wii when not in use. Being in the UK you should respect your government's desire to squash all "Stand-by" power usage, because a device using 3-4 watts/hour is totally ruining the planet. By global warming, or cooling depending on where you are at the time. And whether or not Al Gore will be making a speech on "global warming" in the area, which generally causes blizzard-like conditions in the area of his visit, where he arrives after flying in on his private jet that produces 10,000 lbs. of CO2 per hour.

Not sure how one "saves" electricity though, do you pour it in a jar and later dump the jar in the toaster to make it work?

10. displaced thread starter macrumors 65816

displaced

No problem :)

When I had the Wii connected downstairs, it was going through a smart auto-switching SCART box. It was 'smart' in that it switched based on the presence of an a/v signal, not entirely reliant on the SCART Pin 8 signal. However, that box is needed down there, so I can't really nick it for the new setup upstairs.

For the moment, disabling WiiConnect24's the answer I've gone for. It screws the News Channel up, but it'll have to do for the time being. I'll see if I can track down some official Nintendo feedback method and add my voice to those who'd like to see this fixed in an update. It's nice that the remotes still turn the Wii on and off even when in 'red-LED' standby mode. That does kinda suggest that the SCART behaviour with WiiConnect24 on is something of a bug and not a design choice.

:D

I'll swap a couple more light bulbs for energy savers to compensate :D

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. Just stop brewing the kettle to make 1 cup of tea. do you know how much energy that wastes ? You should wait until your dying of thirst, boil the kettle and then drink 8 cups of tea all in one go :D Then you will only need 1 bathroom break and that saves the flush.... you know it makes sense :p :D :)

12. displaced thread starter macrumors 65816

displaced

Bah! Just go behind a tree! :D

Anyway, I fired off a polite email to Nintendo tech support regarding the problem. I'm not going to do the typical console gamer thing and throw my toys out of my pram over this, but it'd be very nice if it got fixed in a future update.

Ok ... off to bed - I've done my Wii Sports Fitness Test for the day... 23! Must... get... 20!