Wii ! Shall I get it modded so I can import.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has anyone here chipped their Wii's yet ?

I'm thinking of getting mine chipped to save alot of money € and import my wii games from the USA.

It will also mean I'm not waiting months for the pal version to arrive. (Still no trauma centre)

I hoped Datel would have released a wii freeloader - but it's not looking likely according to folks over on the code-junkies forums.

Has anyone experience of this - and whats the general consensus ? too early ? too unreliable ?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The only thing i would worry about is if Nintendo pulls a M$ and when/if they release online games that they won't let you online because you modified your hardware.

Ed

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are there any mod chips out that support region free? From what I gathered they just skip encryption (Drive Hack?) and not the region coding.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know nothing about Wii modchips, but can't you just disable the chip when you want to play online? That's how the chip in my PS2 works.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My Xbox was the same. I've heard Wii chips have a stealth mode too.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah thats how they work apparently.

The Cyclowiz chip is meant to have support for playback of import titles - or so I have been told.

The previous firmware they released gave :-

- Direct boot of NTSC Wii imports on NTSC consoles (no patch needed)
    - Direct boot of PAL Wii imports on NTSC consoles (no patch needed, partial compatibility)
    - Direct boot of NTSC Wii imports on PAL consoles (no patch needed, partial compatibility)

It's the partial that's worrying. Apparently the game has to support 480p at the moment for compatability... But full compatability will be available sooner or later and with a firmware update.

7. pcypert macrumors 6502

Sweet...I'm sold if it does that and that's what the shops here are doing. Currently in Thailand you'd be hard pressed to find any system that's not modded. It's funny because you have to pay double to get a non modded system :D

Some of the Japanese games are a bit odd and I'd like the ability to play US titles...just wish they had something like this with the VC because I don't have any guarantee I'd be able to play some of the games as the screenshots look like all the text is in Japanese.

Paul

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I modded mine just recently with the Wiinja chip, and it was worth every penny (even if it was a gift). :)

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

9. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

I live in Japan and would love to MOD my Wii. The game selection here is so limited and the games that do exist are nothing I would want to play. Since release, Zelda and Wii Sports are th only decent games...

When I was back in Canada during XMas I was amazed to see such a nice selection of Wii games, I'd love to be able to play some of them on my JP Wii.

10. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Isn't that the mod that lets you play downloaded roms off the internet?

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Now there is something we shouldn't be talking about...

12. pcypert macrumors 6502

I haven't seen anything mentioned here as a decent game that's not also available in Japan. All they sell here are the Jap imports and they have all the "names" mentioned here...plus the Pokemon game everyone's on "pins and needles" for :p

Paul