Wii Shop Channel - today's a good one!

Discussion in 'Games' started by p0intblank, Jan 29, 2007.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Well it's another Wii Shop Channel Monday so I figured I'd check what new additions we got. To my surprise the channel now has Mario Kart 64 and Comix Zone! I forget the other titles, but these two stuck out at me. MK64 is an instant classic (already downloaded it) and Comix Zone... anyone remember this game? I used to play it all the time on Sega Channel (ahh, memories). It's 800 Wii Points and I'm down to 200 already, so that one's going to have to wait a little.

So is anyone buying any of the new titles? MK64 is 1,000 points, by the way.

2. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Can I purchase the points on the channel with a credit card or do I need to go to Target/Gamestop and buy them?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

you can use a CC

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Yes you can.

oops too late

5. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

One of the other titles was Contra 3 which is the best of the Contra series IMO. Unfortunately, we already have tons of shooters and Gunstar Heroes so it may not sell as well as it might have otherwise...

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

DAMMIT ! Mario Kart has been downloading for EVER!

7. zane macrumors 6502

yay mario kart i just got my classic controller yesterday.

8. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

I remember how I used to dominate MK:64 in the old days. Can't wait to download it! :D

9. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

ummm goldeneye please??? By the way is there any way to plug a N64 controller to a wii????

10. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Nintendo has to strike a deal with Microsoft before it can offer Goldeneye, but if I remember correctly, Reggie was hinting at the possibility....eventually.

I don't think anybody has an adapter to allow the N64 controller to be plugged in. You do know that a Gamecube controller will work, right?

11. diddy macrumors 6502

Sega Channel was way ahead of its time. Nowadays, it would be called something like "on-demand gaming" and be hot sh*t.

But yeah, woah, Comix Zone! This is so cool. I absolutely love this game.

12. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

word i know, it just would be cool to play 64 games with the 64 controller, they have adapters for every other controller

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

All this talk of GoldenEye forced me to plug in my N64 again and play it. :D

I have one of my N64 controllers in my hand and compared to the Wii's Classic Controller, it's pooooo... :eek:

I just realized the middle of the N64 controller is the Nunchucks granddaddy. :)

I don't know for certain, but I would assume Nintendo still holds some rights on GoldenEye 64, since they were the publisher and they owned almost half of Rare at that time.

Nintendo was smart to sell their share of Rare to MS. It was crumbling at that time and now it has lost its core essence;
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156140

<]=)

14. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

WOOHOO MARIO KART 64 IN 480P UPSCALED!!!

It looks ALOT better than playing it on the N64. I'm glad too. :D

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes: Typical. Rare release an excellent original game in the form of Viva Pinata, and people go eh? :confused: and dont buy it.

The same people then belittle the fact orginallity is dead. :rolleyes:

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Original? A souped up Animal Crossing more like (which is a close cousin of Harvest Moon). It has certain new elements but the core game is AC.

Rare have been flagging. I borrowed Majoras Mask and Conkers Bad Fur Day several years ago, I wept for both Rare and Nintendo. Thankfully Nintendo learnt from that and progressed. Next big outing for Rare was Starfox Adventures... then Perfect Dark Zero.

:( gone are the days of Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I hope you're not saying MM isn't awesome..cos you know it is, right??

18. Agilus macrumors regular

Huh. Wikipedia lists Nintendo EAD as the developers of Majora's Mask, not Rare. That said, I thought Majora's Mask was a solid game, and it added some nice variety into the Zelda series (compared to OoT, which I think of as pretty vanilla - not bland, but not as flavorful). How could you not like racing around in goron bowling ball form trying to ram a giant bull?

As for Conker's Bad Fur Day, it had some serious flaws, but it also had its moments. But after that, I agree, Rare pretty much lost all redeeming qualities, and became little more than a drain on Nintendo. I wanted to like Starfox Adventures, but after I checked out the demo in the store, it just didn't seem worth playing.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My girlfriend just bought MK64 for my 64 a week ago...bummer... oh well!

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Because of that statement, I really want a Wii just so I can play MK64 :D

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It looks fantastic in 480i too. It's so much sharper than the N64 version. Now... Battle. I can actually see enemies on the horizon :D

22. plux79 macrumors member

Sorry for my ignorance, can I use the wiimotes to play MK64?

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That is correct.

24. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I downloaded Mario Kart 64 on Friday when it was released here in Australia and the first thing that struck me was Wow it's broken! No saved lap times, no ghosts, no record of the tracks you've actually completed! BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME NINTENDO! :rolleyes:

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never said they were made by the same company, of course they weren't! I'm just saying I borrowed both games at the same time and didn't like either, but where one company saw how to improve the other didn't.

I wasn't a fan of MM. The world was huge, varied, lovely. But I felt the pressure from the time limit constantly. An updated version on the DS would be very cool and I'd give that a try any day.