Wii: SNK Says No 3rd Party Online Games In 2007

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Mar 6, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    "Of course, there has to be bad news, and it's kind of big: Herman says that Nintendo is not letting publishers add online functionality to games, VC or retail, and probably will continue this restriction throughout 2007."

"What I would say is, right now, I personally have not seen anything to suggest that there will be any exclusivity of titles for either machine. Microsoft has been very selective and is not looking for everything... Sony is just getting started. Nintendo is being careful, with NES and SNES titles, not to over-saturate the market. Microsoft has shown us that online games can be a strong part of a machine's offering. Nintendo is still not letting Wii third-party publishers include online capabilities in their games and it doesn't look like they will during 2007. So the best chance they have at building an online presence appears to be what they're doing with Virtual Console."

Congrats Nintendo, you just killed your chances.... What a let down.

2. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    As much as I've always respected Nintendo (sometimes grudgingly), I do find it sad that the Japanese Super Famicom had more impressive online implementation than both the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube. I hope the same isn't true for the Wii.
  3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Ouch :eek: Our only hope is if that's a rogue PR guy who got a badly translated version :(
  4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    N'Albany, Indiana
    Wouldn't those 2 negatives make a positive? So if that was the case, then the story would be "All games will have online mulitplayer starting right NOW even the ones that originially don't have online capabilities." ;)

Tis a shame tho. Maybe Nintendo knows that only people who have alot of freinds in real life play the Wii and online play isn't really that important.

I'm just waiting for my Road Rash Wii Edition to come out. :cool:
  5. ninewhereman macrumors member

Jan 8, 2007
    It's sad to hear that online functionality is going to be missing in the first year. That means not only does Nintendo need to catch up in third party support, but also online gaming. It's a shame and I think holding out for a full year is going to leave Nintendo in the dust online wise. What happened to the console that is supposed to let us connect to the internet in ways not thought possible. I am highly disappointed and really hope this isn't true.

On the flip side of the coin when I had an Xbox I rarely used my live account. So maybe online play isn't that big of a deal to me personally. In the end I would rather have a feature that I never use than never have it at all. Because it will be the one time that I use it that I will be very happy I have it. What a waste of a wifi connection.
  6. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Jan 18, 2004
    Ha! A console with subpar graphics, and now no online gameplay...

At least it's cheap(er).
  7. michaelltd macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    Well, to be more correct, wouldn't that be no 3rd party on-line Wii games in 2007?

That is very unfortunate. Nintendo better work their hardest next year then to get more on-line support.
  8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    Wow, an amazingly pessimistic thread from our friend Ed H; Lover of Wii. ;)

Oh noooo, we're dooomed. Hold me!!!

Anyway, back to playing Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. :)

9. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2002
    Actually, this is a major let-down. What's the problem here? they can make it work for the DS, so why not the Wii?
  10. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2005
    Bournemouth, UK
    i think it's worth noting that the press release only states that there will be no 3rd-party games. it could be that we see some first party titles that utilise the service and that nintendo are simply being cautious as to exactly how they will manage the service. it's not a big deal for me though.
  11. pcypert macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    From all they've said before now this will be limited to 3rd party stuff...I mean they've practically guaranteed Pokemon will have it and Metroid right? If not "wireless in ways not thought possible" = the revolutionary new online system that finally moves past that dated model of playing games online...we've streamlined the best part : spending money...no more trying to play with others and competing online...now you can buy our old games to make us more money :)

But again I doubt it's completely off.

Would this be a holdback for Jimmi if it was on the 360? Probably, but glossed over since it's the Wii...

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
  13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Yeah, I'm smelling FUD...

Unless Nintendo is like "no, only we can!" :D
  14. pcypert macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    It would kind of make sense if you're really looking at developing a structure and want to make something really nice and tight...let them in once everything is worked out...but still...games like COD, Burnout, etc are all better online than in single player for me...can't imagine them off of Live...

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    That's even more pathetic than not adding rumble. Well, hopefully Sony will put rumble back in around the time Nintendo joins the current generation of technology with its products. Not sure this will be in my lifetime, though. :(
  16. Agilus macrumors regular

May 19, 2005
    This guy's from SNK, not from Nintendo, and he works on the Virtual Console. Maybe they don't have a kit now, but how can he predict the future when he says there won't be anything for third parties in 2007? It smells like he's the one spreading the FUD. Let's wait a little bit longer before we start spreading the doom and gloom.

You get on others when they talk about the PS3 not having any good games yet, because they're coming. That's respectable. What's not respectable is doing the same thing to the Wii with regards to online support, when there's little to back it up.
  17. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Well to be fair, Ed never said there'd be no online functionality for the Wii. He just posted a source that said there wouldn't be this year. *Hopefully* Sony will have a nice line up this year. :rolleyes:

March is a big month for the PS3, and the next month with many releases seems to be June. (A few more will trickle out by then, though.)
  18. Suture macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2007
    Nintendo has always been conservative, but I would be shocked if this was really true. No online play in 2007 would be a huge blow to them considering how well they've done with the Wii so far.
  19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Yup, this story was disproved a little while ago as ****** reporting by SPONG.

This story is ooooooollllllllddd.
  20. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Old and disproved yes.

I thought Ed H didn't like FUD :(
  21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    To mis-quote a great man "this just another in the line of uninformed blog-posting-positioned-as-fact from non-nintendo fans on this board"
  22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    This better be FUD and I'm talking about the FUD of FUDs because if this is true and they don't allow online play I would be pissed and I'll have to get rid of my Wii.

this would be a great mistake by Nintendo.

23. Agilus macrumors regular

May 19, 2005
    Well, to be fair, you're splitting hairs, and misrepresenting what I said. To be perfectly clear, I said stop spreading the crap.
  24. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Let's analyze for our readers who don't speak very good English.

You mention Ed defending the PS3 because good games are coming. (Or, at least, games are coming.) This is true, because we have a slew of release dates. This slew of release dates is called a "source" or "evidence" to support an argument.

Next, you complain it isn't fair for Ed to do the same thing in regard to the Wii when there is "little to back it up." However, Ed provided a source (again, evidence to support an argument) in his original post, and thus has performed the same duty for his argument as the ones he makes for the PS3.

I don't feel I misrepresented anything, or "split any hairs." Now, whether Ed's source is true or not is another matter.
  25. Agilus macrumors regular

May 19, 2005
    Also, please correct your thread title. If this article hasn't been completely debunked (as indicated by previous posters, but I haven't checked up on), the title is wrong. These articles are from some SNK guy, not Nintendo, so "Nintendo Says No Online Games In 2007" is clearly false.