Wii sports mix up and what not...

Discussion in 'Games' started by smitty330, Nov 14, 2006.

1. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Ok so if anyone has been staying intune with ign.com and their reviews and what not of all the games most of the reviews are of great value and are benificial. But, if some of you remember a little while back a couple of the ign editors posted that they thought that Wii sports was too basic and they didn't like the lack of crowd graphics and that it was too simple. All I can say about that is... What the heck personally I would think that a FREE game that comes with the system that has 4 separite games in to would have to lack something. It's not like the PS3 or the xbox360 come with games when you buy them so when you buy a system that is significanty cheaper in price. SO, ign has come out with another review and it is not just from some guy that sits at his desk all day, ign said that they polled most of the office to try get a better idea of how the game was. In their words "Prior to this review, we asked some of the girls who work in our advertising department to stop by our demo room and play both Wii Sports bowling and tennis. They don't play games and had only a very limited understanding of Nintendo's new console. We armed them with Wii remotes and very briefly explained the basic controls. Within seconds, they were competently going back and forth on the tennis court and knocking down pins in bowling - and they were having a great time playing. In fact, just about everybody we've introduced to the sports compilation has walked away happy, whether they have been a gamer for years or completely new to the activity. It's clear to us that Nintendo is onto something and sure enough, Wii Sports might even truly capture some of those non-gamers." So, obviously nintendo was trying to make a fun game that just about anyone can play. I will definetly play Wii sports first when I buy my Wii even just to get a handle on the controller. Anywho thanks for readin' and here is the link to the Wii sports if you wanna read the whole thing.
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745708p1.html

-Matthew

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I don't know if the Ps3 comes with anything, but the Premium 360s come with Hexic (a decent puzzle game from Alexei Pazhitnov, the creator of Tetris).

3. smitty330 thread starter macrumors member

smitty330

OoOoOo A puzzle game, hey I think I can play thousands of those Online:D
    (sorry I am not making fun of you just the system)

-Matthew

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indeed, Wii Sports seems to have something. It looks comparable to Duck Hunt, the bundled game (at least with my NES!) that constantly brings you back. Especially for multiplayers. Looks like this is going to be a fantastic demo to reel in the non-gamers. The Brain Training style graphs surprised me too, looks like it's going a tad deeper than how it first appeared.

Even TIME have good things to say about the free mini-sports game.

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hey, at least the 360 includes something, and it's actually a quite good and fun puzzler at that.

Definitely no WiiSports though...

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Right, a full fledged puzzle game is a bad thing?
    Versus a limited sports game with limited controls?

Come on man. :rolleyes:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

wow, you seem to miss the point. There are countless Flash versions of games like Hexic, Tetris etc. all over the web. even that uber-popular dual-analogue stick arcade shooter that was on the 360 (name completely escapes me). Flash versions of Wii sports? I've never played an online game where you swing your chosen input method to bowl, box, play tennis etc. :rolleyes:

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Are you talking about Geometry Wars?

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

In defense of Geometry Wars, I've played those free clones... and they can be fun... but they are absolute crap in comparison to the actual GW which is entirely excellent.

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO...

To the original poster, one word; paragraph.

Actually four. Paragraph your fanboy rant ;) :D :p :rolleyes:

Why are nintendo fans so quick to defend ? Wii sports looks to me to be nothing more than a glorified 10 - 15 minute per game tech demo.

It's NOT FREE. Somewhere in the price of the Wii nintendo has more than covered itself with the cost of wii sports, hence in Japan the Wii without wii sports is cheaper than the US & European price points.

Personally I'd rather they take $20 off the price of the Wii and give me a choice of whether I want this game. I dont.

Some of you may find Wii sports highly enjoyable, but until you've actually played the thing for yourselves for an extended period of time, do you not think yourselves too quick to judge IGN's review.

:rolleyes: Chill peep's, it's just a frickin demo.. oops sorry 'game' ;) :p

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'm just glad that we even get a free game with the Wii. I don't think it's meant to be a complete game in the way that Zelda will be. But it'll give my wife a chance to experience the Wii without being too overbearing on her. She likes simple games like Mario and Duck Hunt, so I know that Wii Sports will be her avenue into gaming with it's simple gameplay and easy control system. I just hope she's not on it more than I will be. :)

And I agree that Wii Sports is more of a tech demo.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree with you - its always nice to have somthing to pop into your Wii straight away - but most people will have Zelda straight away wont they ;)

I just think its ridiculous to not accept the fact it is a tech demo to show off the controls (and scream bloody murder when Ign give it 7/10 which isnt a bad score at all), and even more ridiculous to assume it's FREE after spending $249 USA or €269 ($345) Ireland if you get my point...

I think the OP needs time in the chill out room ;)

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree on that; I really want Wii Sports, more than anything, to get non-gamer family and friends to play a video game.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, or just some other game. At least Wii sports will give someone else a chance to play on the system. If all I had was Zelda, I'd be fine with it, but then it would be just Mii :)p ) playing instead of Wii.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

but wont wii have to splash out another $39 on another controller to play together.. damn that's one expensive 'freebie' :D

17. smitty330 thread starter macrumors member

smitty330

Ok honestly I am not going to listen to a word you have to say anymore. You havent played the game yet, you probably havent watched the newest videos released on ign. And unless you are the kind of gamer that just likes to sit there by themself, Wii sports is a great way to show people the Wii. Granted there are other games that are going to be better but may not show how the Wii-mote works very well. So I really dont get why you are buying a Wii when every time I read one of your posts it is negative towards the Wii.

-Matthew

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

$60 if you want to box together, or $120 if you want 4-player tennis. At least bowling and golf should be able to make use of one controller by switching off turns. That's what I'm going for anyway.

In MRU's defense, and of my own opinion, we do agree that it's a great game to play with other people. It showcases the "freeform" controller that is the Wiimote. It is obviously less complex of a game than say Zelda or Red Steel, which bodes well for new non-gamers picking up the Wiimote and playing. IE: Wii Sports (and Wii Play) are just glorified tech demos. Heck, in tennis you don't move your player, just swing, same with baseball, its a home-run derby type game. Hopefully golf is a fully functioning golf game. My money's on bowling being the most fun of the Wii Sports games. We're not saying that Wii Sports sucks, but we didn't set our hopes too high for the game, realizing it for what it really is: a tech demo, which is fun and just might draw in some new gamers (or sell a few Wiimotes) just like the bold section of your quote.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe you should take your own advice and not judge a game you haven't played yet. ;)

Wii Sports is definitely striped down and meant to be easily accessible as well as show be a showcase for the Wii's UI. That doesn't stop it from being a ton of fun to play (especially w/2 or more people). I think sports titles are really going to be where the Wii's gameplay separates itself from the PS3 and 360. What's more fun, hitting "A" to control your swing meter in Tiger Woods golf or actually swinging a virtual golf club? I love Virtua Tennis, but after using the remote as a tennis racquet in Wii Sports the button pushing/thumbstick gameplay of Virtua Tennis just doesn't seem as fun.

Obviously the immersion level will vary depending on type of game, but the remote & nunchuck have the ability to make you feel like you are *in* the game way more than any standard controller can.

Lethal

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love 'gaming', but I do not have blind 'fanatical' faith in any of the console manufacturers. I stand back and see the bigger picture.

If your so hurt that a person could see anything negative about the wii, then it certainly isnt me who has the problem, and to be honest guy, I really couldnt care whether you listen to me or not, I'm not your mother :rolleyes:

Exactly to a detail. period....

Touche :D... when I read back my post I wondered how long it would take forsone to post that.. lol.. :)

But I agree with you, I just realise the game/demo is what it is. And for it to get 7/10 on IGN is good, I just dont understand the level of hurt the OP seem's to have over that score... I never said the game wasnt good or wasnt maybe fun, i just see it as what nintendo wanted it to be, a wii remote showcase demo...

21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

The 360 vs Wii war again. For gosh sakes give it up. Different consoles attract different people there is no need to have a "which is better" argument about it

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually I think the more time that has passed the more cynical you have become, good sir! ;)

You're attitude seems to worsen with every Nintendo/Wii-fan post you read and/or reply to. First it took extreme fanboism to set you off, then moderate, and lately it seems like all someone has to do is defend any aspect of the Wii on and level and you get all in a tizzy.

It's okay, you can let it go, take a deep breath... and remember what you once knew: it doesn't matter anyway, and there is no reason for you to "enlighten" others or show them that you are enlightened already.

There is a level where people are unreasonable about their favoritism, but there is the other side you seem to have been treading lately... the cynical pessimistic side that seeks and destroys a gamers hope and excitement over a product they are looking forward. The side that just isn't happy to let people just enjoy their ignorant bliss. Don't ruin things for the people just because their excitement irritates you! ;)

Remember, fun doesn't require objectivity! :D

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

sorry Haoshiro you may be right. I think my fanboy alert button is broken (or at least set on overdrive) You care to have a tinker ;)

your right though.. ignorance is bliss for a lot of people and I shouldnt destroy that ignorance, they have every right to it, as Sheryl Crow said 'if it makes you happy, it cant be that bad'.... I said earlier the OP needs a time out in the chill room, I think I better join him.. what do you think? ;) :)

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Will my SCART cable have heard Sheryl Crow :( It might need musical attention.

25. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hmm... that sort of work would likely require some sort of remote connection that our technology isn't capable of yet, heh...

LOL... it's possible! ;)