Wii Stuck on an system update

Discussion in 'Games' started by furryrabidbunny, Mar 9, 2007.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I didn't search to see if anyone else has had this problem, site was running slow. My wii is stuck updating, it has been at the same place for about 12 hours now. What is the best course of action to take. I am going to leave it on when at work, but I don't expect much of a change. Good idea to turn it off?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This happen to me the first time as well...I turned off the console(try at your own risk).....and went through the update again. the update was frustrating it took three hours before I couldn't take it anymore and shut it down.

Bless

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes, my first Wii update hung as well, and I pulled the power to it.

4. unsolvedmistere macrumors member

Mine actually hung trying to access the online store. It hung at least three times in a row before I left it alone for a day or two when it finally worked. I think my problem had to do with bad wifi connection. I don't think the wii is able to re-connect to the internet if it drops its connection while it updates/connects to the store. As other have done, I had to unplug the wii from the outlet. Anyone else have this problem connected via ethernet?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've had this a few times (iffy internet connection). I dont think it updates the firmware as such, just the mini OS.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Oh noes, never a problem with your precious! precious is perfect in every way! :p

My Wii has frozen a few times on me, usually just pulling the power cord or holding the power button did the trick.

7. Agilus macrumors regular

Where in his post did he say anything like that? *scratches head*

Personally, I've never had this happen, but I've heard of it happening. Maybe I'm an anomaly.

It sucks. Sorry you had a problem. Hopefully they will make the downloading more robust in a future system update.

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

Ed...it's tolerable for a 250 dollar console to exhibit such behavior...just not a 350 dollar one :D

Paul

9. Agilus macrumors regular

I've heard you can actually brick the system if you do this (at least you could in the past). But if you're in such a situation, do you really have another choice than to power cycle?

I've also heard that Nintendo's really good about replacing them, so that's something.

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My first update hung up as well, but I didn't have to power cycle because it eventually popped up a message saying it had lost the connection.

I have a different problem now. Whether it's directly related to Wii Play or not, but the instant I put Wii Play in my Wii I started getting weird vertical distortion lines in all my games and the OS. I'm kind of leaning towards that it has to do with the sensor bar because the only thing that isn't affected by the distortion is the little hand in the OS.

I've tried the system on two different TVs using both composite and component cables, and I still have the distortion.

I'm going to pick up one of those wireless sensor bars from Nyko, but if the distortion is still there then I'm going to have to send it back to Nintendo. :(

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Seriously guys. what the ****?

Internet connection always cuts off, Wii hangs during it, Windows Update, takes Apple Update a while to register what happened. Ask anyone who I chat to on Messenger apps or play online. for ****s sake.
    Agilus, exactly I didn't say anything like that at all.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It was a joke to your "Nintendo does nothing wrong" typical posting :) You guys are getting a bit too wound up and defensive now that there is some negative Nintendo press :p :D

lighten up a bit :) Needless to say i could have aimed that at you praxis and agilus, but i figured you would have gotten that i was messing with you.

Ed

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm thinking a lot of people had this problem and to say its the internet thats making it hang is iffy....I made sure my internet was working properly..I had my laptop check to see if the net was up and it was.

I think its a problem with the wii when it first try to connect. I did take a risk by turning it off but I had to because I had no choice...thats why I told the dude to do it at his own risk.

Bless

14. gunthian macrumors newbie

first update hung as well, had to shut it off. Hung for a while one other time, too. Definately make sure your router is transmitting on a lesser-used channel - could never connect if I left it on the default channel 6. Nintendo suggests using 1 or 11. Seems to be very fickle about this...

15. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

Or a $600 one. *cough* PS3 *cough*

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

Never had a single crash or hangup. All updates went smoothly, as did store purchases.

With all these reports of crashing/DOA wiis I'm starting to regret the post I made a long time ago about how good Sony and Nintendo did with QC compared to the 360 launch.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

One of my cousins PS3's was DOA too. Brought 4 of them over from Japan so he's sorta up **** creek.

18. TheGimp macrumors 6502

As well, brevity is the soul of that twit. Passes off something glib as funny, with his own haha added just for nervous self assurance.

19. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't own a Wii, but can't you just download the update from Nintendo's website and burn it to a disc? Like you can do with the 360?

20. Agilus macrumors regular

I haven't heard of the Wii's ability to do that, so I kind of doubt it. It would be a nice feature, and I think they should add it if it's not there already.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

In the two weeks I've had the system, I've had fl0w refuse to download at all (had to wait two days after paying for it before it finally worked), numerous freeze-ups during Blu-Ray playback, and HDMI handshake issues that caused my (Sony) TV to sit there flashing at me. But I don't blame PS3s in general.

Issues with any of these consoles are exceptions, not rules. Let's not start the fanboy wars again.

23. pcypert macrumors 6502

Certainly to what Glos said...but let's also remember this the next time we want to go off on how unreliable other systems are and all that nonsense. The first 6 or 7 posts were all people who had had problems with the Wii freezing up and locking...even reports of bricking. If I used jimmi logic I'd say 7 for 7 it's unreliable (he had three "friends" with faulty 360's). No system is perfect and all will have failures. I imagine we'll here more as the Wii is out longer...also due to the high numbers of Wii owners out there...doesn't make it a bad system...complex electronics fail more than they used to...sucks, but companies are covering them if faulty so we can all take that arguement out of the stack of defenses for or against any one particular system.

Paul

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

25. pcypert macrumors 6502

Exactly...what you've seen there...were they imports or regulars? First batch or later on? Besides that this forum has had some wii's brick, freeze, etc. So why are they not added to your list? So if non of the 360's of your friends had gone out but one of the Wii's had would you still ignore online reports of 360's failing?

Paul