Wii to only come in white!

Discussion in 'Games' started by coffey7, Oct 31, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  2. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

3. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Don't worry- I'm sure we'll have plenty of limited edition Wiis over the years in a variety of colors. In my opinion, the Wii is still a very good-looking system in white.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally, I think the Wii only needs black and white models. Black shows up fingerprints too much. Come this time next year when I buy a Wii and there are numerous colours I'll be searching high and low for a white model.

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah but white consoles show dirt too much and also fade with time.
    Ever seen those eggshell NES/SNES consoles? Ehh...
    My Dreamcast, despite being regularly wiped off, was always filthy. :)
    I like the white color a lot...but IMO it's just as dirt-showing as a black one. ;)

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The Wii is going to be made from a different material than then SNES and Dreamcast though. If I'm correct, it is going to be somewhat like a iPod.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Another major reason to only offer one color at launch is to avoid the situation they ran into with the Gamecube, which was underestimating (or wrongly estimating) what the demand might be for those various colors. Retailers were left overstocked on purple Gamecubes because people who wanted the black model chose to hold out for new shipments rather than get something else.

I'm sure they're going to broaden the Wii color palette once the first huge wave of demand subsides.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I hope they don't. Maybe a black version at best, but that's it. Offering so many color choices is so 1999.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I wanted a black :( And yeah, this was announced at Nintendo's September 14th conference.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

much like the wii's innards ;) :D

11. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

SNAP!

After the Wii/PS3 bathroom remark and now this, you're on a roll, man!

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Wii is fine at white....not pink, stool green or any other strange color:)

Bless

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Maybe they're only in whine b/c producing more colors would mean less actual consoles shipped?

14. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Just think about it if nintendo wants to get lots of units out fast they will only create it in one color. It is much cheaper to have only one assambaly line makeing only one color, if you have several differnt colors it is gunna be more complicated and more expencive. So I guess your right but it is much bigger than just less units if there was more than one color. Look at Sony their piece of crap only comes in one color and they are only coming out with 400,000, goodluck trying to find one of those.

-Matt

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

take a look at any of the white apple products after a couple of years...every different texture of material turned a different color of ugly off-white.

especially bad were the bobble-head iMacs and the iBooks of the same generation. eeeeeeeew.

no white console for me, thanks. i will wait for a black one.

and FYI, pure shiny white plastic is in general more expensive than shiny black plastic.

Only things more expensive are neon, phosphorescent, metallic, and clear

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You're right. Choice is a farce.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Riggz man you really need to see a doctor ;) :D

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, part of the reason for discoloration is the constant handling. Fingers have dirt and oil that will dull the finish over time. However, the Wii shouldn't be subjected to as much handling during it's five-year lifespan. So at the end of the 5-ish years, even a day 1 console shouldn't be nearly as dirty as an often-used Mac. I think the Wii-motes will have the discoloration "problem" (not really a problem per se as it's to be expected), but not the console itself.

Having said that, I really wish that they'd release a black console at launch in addition to the white. But I'll be happy just to get one.

19. theman5725 macrumors 6502

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

don't worry too much. Next year the Wii Mirco Lite SP2 will come out in Black, Navy Blue and Pink with Nintendogs: Wii Love Puppies.

21. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I wish Nintendo would release "Wii Pro" and have it aluminum anodized like MacBook Pro:)

Hey they are becoming the Apple of the gamign industry so why not ;) I would def buy one , even if its slightly more expensive without much additional stuff.

22. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Or brown. :p