Wii Transfer

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Jan 25, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Haven't yet seen this mentioned here...OS X app to put media from your Mac on your Wii. It offers MP3 and photo streaming/LAN sharing. Sadly, it won't stream movies a la :apple: TV; just gives you a conversion option for SD card like other apps offer.

Joystiq has the story, and here's the devs' site:

http://www.riverfold.com/software/wiitransfer/

EDIT: It also touts the following kinda-cool feature: "Backup saved game files to your Mac automatically"

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Anyone tried this out yet?? Seems like a cool idea but I'm wondering how well it works streaming from iTunes. From what I read, you need to use the Opera browser to stream audio.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ooo sounds nifty. But wouldn't work on my setup. iMac barely gets a 20% signal, then to the router, then to the Wii.

I like that steps are being made for multimedia functionality for those who need it. But I'm quite content with my Wii serving as a gaming platform (for the time being ;) ). XBMC anyone :D

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Does it send files to the sd card in your Wii, or do you have to move them to your card from your mac?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have tried the demo. It is very tempting. It runs a little web server on your Mac and you use Opera to access this server. Gives you a choice of watching pictures or listening to music. The music gives a list of all artist's on your iTunes. Choose an artist and it list album. Choose an album and it lists songs. It streams the song fairly quickly (about 3-4 seconds to startup) and if iTunes is open, shows the album art as well.

The movie side is a little lame. It simply converts movies to a format the Wii can play (like avi). If it did streaming movies then it would be a screaming buy!

Backup of game files is a little clutzy as you have to set the Wii up to save them to the SD card. Better than nothing, I suppose.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

After a little more playing I have discovered a few things. Occasionally the music play back skips a little. Big songs (>15 min) cause the browser to reset. The browser will reset or start acting "strangely" on an intermittent and unrepeatable basis. Given that the browser is a demo, Wii Transfer is a demo and the Wii is 2 months old, I will place this in the category of "Worth Watching For Further Improvements".

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

8. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

what is even available on the demo, i cant even stream music in the demo

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Everything is available in the demo. Sound for movie files is removed and pictures have a demo watermark on them and the music has shuffle and play all disabled.

10. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Select "Music and Pictures" and check the box for "Sharing ..."
    You will see an IP address ending in 9000 underneath the text. You need to type this address into your Wii browser.

12. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

alright, but now when i type in the IP and :9000 into the wii browser, i doesn't even attempt to load

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Try it in a browser on your Mac first. If it works there, then you have a connection problem between your Wii and your Mac.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My iPod shuffle under my TV works just as well!!

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Really? That's wonderful! But how does your shuffle display pictures? My iTunes library is 3GB, will it fit on a shuffle?...

16. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Saw a comment (the Wii Transfer site??) that the Wii itself has trouble playing video files over 15-30 min. Maybe this applies to music too? (although if it's through Opera, shouldn't...)

17. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

They seriously need to add AAC support. I don't want to rerip my whole library as I originally ripped it in AAC for quality reasons.