Wii - Ubisoft confirms 7 launch titles inc. Far Cry and Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'Games' started by BlizzardBomb, Aug 3, 2006.

1. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ubisoft has confirmed seven launch window titles including the popular Far Cry and promises they aren't ports either...

Prince of Persia also expected next year.

Full story here.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

3. JBot macrumors 6502

minus the controllers. Wii looks so interesting, but the controller will never catch on.
    It reminds me of when they tried to release the 'natural keyboard,' which was split in half, and was supposed to make it easier to type. No one uses that anymore, and after the first 6 months, and the shock/interest died down, no one liked it.
    You cant change a good thing.
    And a good thing = [​IMG]
    ;)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa! What's this psychic hotline you've been ringing, can I have the number?

From what I've heard, from long-time developers the Wii controller is excellent. Even after time. Iwata (or was it Shigsy) said they find it hard going back to a regular controller. Ubisoft are immensely happy with the Wii which is why they're backing it so much. Not a single developer has dropped support after working with it.

Anywho! I'm not too bothered about that list, barring Far Cry, Red Steel and Rayman 4. The others don't interest me at this moment. when I read this on Joystiq I screamed at my girlfriend that Far Cry is coming to the Wii. god I loved the PC version of that. I hope this follows that one rather than the console reiterations.

5. JBot macrumors 6502

What are you talking about psychic hotline?
    Sure it could be great after youve gotten used to it, but i think they should release an old style controller that will work along side these new two handed controllers, so the user has the choice.

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I used to LOVE Prince of Persia. I so want Zelda as my first game though

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You really struggle to understand sarcasm dont you!!! :rolleyes:

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

In case you weren't aware, the Wii has four GC controller ports on top of the console. ;)

9. JBot macrumors 6502

no i understand, im just curious how that made sense.
    why would i 'contact a psychic hotline in order for me to come to the conclusion i did.'?
    sarcastically speaking.

10. kinesin macrumors regular

I much preferred the console versions of Farcry to the PC - The whole evolution thing and feral abilities made it a much better game. The PC version lost my interest once it got indoors.

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Um, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it is because unless you were in attendance at E3, how would you know that you don't like the Wiimote? Those people and industry insiders are the only ones to have used it, thus you would need a psychic to know your future preferences.

Oh and yeah, the Wii is going to have a classic controller much like the Super Nintendo one for classic gaming and will be compatible with GC controllers. It varies by title which ones these controllers will work with though.

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Because you've predicted that "the controller will never catch on" as if you're completely sure of it.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. Plus you said "Wii looks so interesting, but the controller will never catch on". So basically a blanket statement! Jimmi then asked if you have psychic powers. By which; can YOU predict the future or read others thoughts?

Jesus do we really have to explain this to you :rolleyes:

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Now you're calling him Jesus. Stop confusing the poor boy. :D

16. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I could care less.

Call me when (if) the new 'Tom Clancy' games arrive. Keep 'Red Steel' to yourself, thanks.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Do I have to answer that? :D

18. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

They're releasing a first-party "Classic Controller" peripheral. It was announced a long time ago.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They...did. I used it at E3. Worked great.
    [​IMG]

20. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

How could you use a different controller? The Wii controller is made to be different and interactive. You physically couldnt play the same games with a "regular conntroller".

-Matthew

21. Motley macrumors 6502

So exactly how many games are going to be available at launch? Seems a lot better than the rather lame gamecube launch.

22. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Minus a fun game that I care about (Smash Bros.). Call the GameCube launch what it was - as least it had that (which, provided you had friends, would last you hours upon hours).

Honestly, besides a few added features (exclusive widescreen support - despite the fact the GameCube can handle it) to 'Zelda' (also on the Gamecube), I don't see anything that makes me want the system yet, besides boredom.

There's nothing from any third parties really worth mentioning (yet), and I have to say, I'm not really sold on 'Excite-Truck' ('Burn Out' with trucks).

The only thing that excites me at all is free online multiplayer. And even then, I have to wonder - will I be forced to re-add all of my friends for each individual game? Will there be VOIP?

Really, I'd prefer to know more about everything before deciding. But to be honest, I don't care about anything so far - although I don't doubt something great will come along and grab me eventually.

I'm still hoping to see some 'mature' games, as well as a 'time-killer' I can play with friends online ('Smash Bros.', 'Virtua Tennis', 'ChuChu Rocket').

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IIRC Smash Bros was not a GameCube launch title, just launch window.
    Well, you're not a Metroid Prime fan. What about Mario? That's launch window IIRC.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Killing Yakuza with swords and guns not "mature" enough for you?

25. crachoar macrumors 6502a

A month later. Close enough for me.

And you're right - I'm not a fan of mediocre FPS (or as you'd say 'adventure') games ruining the 'Metroid' name. I admit that, proudly. Of course, as usual, I will at least try this abomination (with the new control scheme, which still features 'lock-on' for some stupid reason) before swearing it off forever. I'm sure the new controller will make scanning extra fun.

The 'Prime' games to me, are like 3D 'Castlevania' games. I just pretend they don't really exist, and wish they'd stop making them so I can have more awesome 2D versions.

And I enjoy (good) 'Mario' games as much as the next guy...

But, like most fans of the series - I just want a 'Mario 64-2'. I don't want Mario with a water-powered jetpack, possessed by the soul of Stalin, clearning up multi-coloured, glowing sludge. I don't want to control Mario with a glittering mouse cursor through tiny chunks of world, where I'm liable to, literally, fall off of the planet either.

Who knows at this point.

All I'm saying is, not impressed, especially when it comes to third parties. No desire to buy it, besides boredom and the prospect that there might be some good games coming out shortly after launch.