Wii under $250

Discussion in 'Games' started by DEXTERITY, May 25, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17273

Nintendo plans to ship 6 million Wii units by March

Paul Loughrey 10:29 25/05/2006
    Console will retail for under USD 250

Nintendo has announced that it intends to ship 6 million Wii units by March next year, confirming that the console will retail for USD 250 or less when it goes on sale in the US.

According to Nintendo's senior managing director, Yoshihiro Mori, the console - which is scheduled for a release in the fourth quarter alongside Sony's costly PlayStation 3 - will retail for YEN 25,000 or less in Japan.

The news came as part of the platform holder's full-year financial report, which revealed a 19 per cent fall in annual operating profit due primarily to a slow demand for the GameCube and GameBoy Advance hardware and software and start-up costs for the next generation console.

The company saw a rise of 12.5 per cent in net profit, which reached YEN 98.4 billion, boosted by the continued success of its DS handheld. Nintendo plans to sell 16 million hardware units and 70 million units of software for the handheld in the current business year, and is forecasting a twenty-two per cent rise in operating profit to YEN 110 billion this fiscal year.

The Wii console is key to Nintendo's future success and the company is banking on its strategy of introducing disruptive technology to capture a large percentage of the market, bowing out of the high-tech hardware race between Microsoft and Sony and concentrating on innovation and affordability in place of the superior graphics and processing power that has dominated the next-generation platform.

Much has been made of the console's projected low-end pricing structure, executives from both Microsoft and Sony predicting that consumers will purchase the Wii as a second console and switching the focus back to a consumer choice between the Xbox 360 and the considerably higher priced PS3 - while Nintendo could potentially secure a massive segment of the global games market.

Sony is targeting 6 million PS3 sales by March 2007, despite a dual SKU price point of USD 499/599 for its Blu-Ray enabled console. Nintendo has projected the same figures for the Wii, which comes in at half the price and could potentially be purchased alongside an Xbox 360 for less than the cost of Sony's base level machine.

2. macrumors 68020

srobert

Fair price but still hoping that they will go for the "or less" option. There are many lauch titles on my "must own" list so the more I can save on the console, the better. :D

3. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

In every interview with Iwata he has hinted so strongly at $199 being a "historical price point for Nintendo consoles" that I'll run naked through my office if it's more than that. Seriously, I've seen him say this like 4 times since E3.

4. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats alot for a overclocked GC(let it begin!) but i will still get it......i'm getting a PS3 too so yea $250 is nothing.

Bless

5. macrumors 68040

takao

well they said on the japanese coference less than 25.000 (which was the original price for every system since the super NES from them)
    that gets translated to 174 euros or 224 dollars... i guess it's gonna be 199 € and 199$ just like it happend the last few times ;)

i hope they add the classic controller thing into the box

(and both wireless controllers and wlan being standard beats the competitors for what ? 300$ ? 250 $ ?)

6. macrumors 68040

Yeah, I've heard that a lot as well, and that's what I expect it to be priced at. Seriously, I'm probably going to have only about $300 on launch day to put down for the console + Zelda. I'm walking out with those two things definitely. But if the console is 250, that's all I will be getting, and I really want SSBB and/or Prime 3 (if it is indeed released on launch day).

7. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

"Overclocked", a term that people love to throw around regarding the Wii, is very inaccurate. Perhaps people don't know what that word actually means.

Wii is an "overclocked" GC just as much as PowerBook G4 is just an "overclocked" PowerBook G3.

If a chip is designed to double the speed of its predecessor natively it cannot be considered overclocked. Now if they had take the exact same hardware (not just architecture) and increased it's operating frequency in order to "squeeze" more performance out of it... THEN you could call it overclocked. :p

8. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I know it wasn't long....i love doing that:) :p .....hey how about the DS being a overclocked GBA?

Bless

9. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I knew you did it on purpose, hence the "(let it begin!)" but just in case you actually believed that, or made others think it were true, I thought I'd comment anyway - even if you were just doing it to stir something up. :p

As for your other "question" (riiight)... consider essientially GBA = SNES and DS = N64, and SNES was purely 2D hardware (save that FX chips used on StarFox, etc) and the N64 was designed for 3D.... then yes, of course the DS is just an overclocked GBA, duh!

And the PS3 is an overclocked PS2, essentially the PS2.5 (Sony just rounded up). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think $250 would be a good price point. I hope they push for $200 though ;)
    Still very cheap though. Try buying a perfect condition NES, SNES, N64, GC, Mega Drive and TurboGrafx 16 console and you'll soon see why even at $250 it's such a great buy. Couple that with the Wii-Fi, the Wiimote, the 512MB flash memory, the web browser, WiiConnect 24 and the other features and you've got unbeatable value for money.

11. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If they had the classic controller and two Wiimotes in the box, plus WiiSports, that'd be a helluva buy... I know they said they weren't planning on putting the classic controller in there, but it would really make sense to ensure that every system had at least one standard controller, just to give an easy out for developers who want to do a cross-platform release, but don't want to redesign everything around the Wiimote (which some games, I am sure, wouldn't benefit from anyways).

Am I the only one who hopes that a bundled "pointer" controller with a system will mean a resurgance of "light gun" games? I mean, those typically aren't to popular because they require you either but a game AND a fairly expensive specialty controller, or the game includes it and is either more expensive, or lower quality as a result.

But, with the Wii, everyone has everything you NEED (you could play with just the Wiimote, even if a gun add-on would be better). Those are generally some of the best arcade games, usually because you need equipment you don't have at home... I want an on-rails Resident Evil shooter Wii exclusive!

12. macrumors 68000

sam10685

E3 just got done less than 2 weeks ago. is he allowed to talk that much?

13. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i think everyone would agree with that. 15 of the games that have been announced are games i plan on buying.

14. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Iwata can do whatever the hell he pleases.

15. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

Oooh... I can't wait!!

Even though chances are in the UK it'll be released at about £160. We like to be ripped off, honest.

I'll be putting a deposit down on one of these in the not so distant future.

16. macrumors 68000

sam10685

sweet... must be why Nintendo kicks ass so hard. same with Jobs/Apple.

17. macrumors Core

Dagless

Well the DS has 2 processors, a 3D chip etc. so it's a lot more than an overclock. Unless overclocking means adding more chips these days.

I'm confused :)

You know what I can't wait for with the Wii? the running cost. My brother has to always shut his 360 down when he's not using it. No sleep for him. just adds so much to the power bill. "a small bulb" running cost will be nice. since I just installed energy saving and halogen bulbs in my room to cut costs down.

18. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think you were replying to my sarcasm... lol!

As for 360, yeah... but no diff then any other system, only with 360 I can turn the system off with my wireless controller! ;)

The Wii "sleep" mode does sound nice though, I guess.

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

£150 here. mark my words ;)

Nintendo want's a closer launch window so I can't imagine them dropping the price before UK launch like the GC last time.

20. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I like the $250 price tag....cheaper than all. I guess i might need a big TV to play my Wii on..can't imagine playing it on my monitor....don't really care for the sleep thing.

You guys do know the DS thing was a joke right.....dance i say dance!

Bless

21. macrumors 604

kretzy

Hopefully it'll be $199 in the US, that way it should be just under $300 here which I think is a fairly reasonable price.

22. macrumors 68000

How about growing up and thinking of a new joke.:mad: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am stoked about the price. Just the fact it's going to be under $250 is good enough for me. I hope that our friends over in the UK see a corresponding price point, i.e., not 250 pounds.

23. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

24. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would crack on you but it would be in bad taste.....so i'll leave you alone(for now). Think they will have a bundle at launch..maybe throw in an extra controller GFLPraxis?

Bless

25. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i'm pretty sure it'll have more tech. specs than just an overclocked GC thing.