Wii VC CD-ROM gaming.

Discussion in 'Games' started by combatcolin, Nov 12, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Any news on being able to play back CD-ROM based games on the Wii.

Theres a ton of PC-Engine CD-ROM stuff i would love to play, back in the day they were mega-£££ and mere mortals could never afford one.

Mega CD would be cool too.

And then theres Neo-Geo CD-ROM.....drool.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Sorry but I think there is virtually no chance of this ever happening, the Virtual console game seem to be download only......

Would be awesome if it could, but the machine does not have the capacity to play these discs even if Nintendo wanted to,

ShadoW

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How does the Wii not have the capacity? Yes there is only 512 MB build in memory but as far as I can remember the Wii supports SD media and I've seen 4 GB SD cards for sale. That's almost enough to fit an entire DVD on.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

From what I understood the original poster was asking if the wii could take original neo-geo etc CD-roms and play them back, which it can't......

I don't know if he meant they could be sold on the nintendo wii store, as the post was unclear, If this is the case I'm sure it is possible, licensing would be the issue....

ShadoW

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe after they've exhausted all the original games they would just send over CD based launchers for the VC via the Wii Connect 24? From a hardware point it's possible at least.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It can't currently. However there isn't anything in the HW that would necessarily prevent using the Wii CD drive to play VC games. The only reason I can see that this wouldn't happen would be that none of the discs for those systems are currently being sold. Since the copyright owners would want to make profit off of the VC by selling the older games the best way to do this is to do downloads. If some of these games were still on the shelves being sold I can see where opening up the VC to play the disks would be a good idea.

I've already raised the question in another thread about hacking the VC to play PSone/PS2 and how it might even be in Sony's interest to create a way to play PS2 games on a Wii. If Wii owners don't already have a PS2 then they are probably never going to buy one. But if they could play PS2 games on the Wii then Sony would have a previously untapped market for the games. This would not pose a threat to the PS3 since no one in their right mind would buy a PS3 just to play PS2 games, and it should pose no threat to the PS2 since if all you want is PS2 games a PS2 is half the price of a Wii. Heck, Sony could probably even charge $20-$30 for this functionality.

I realize that this has a snowballs chance in hell of happening but it was fun to think about for awhile (especially since once I get a Wii it would take my house down from 3 consoles to one now I'm still stuck with 2).

7. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

It was being able to play CD-ROM's of various CD based hardware of the time, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD, Mega CD, heck even the FM Towns :eek: for a real expensive retro kick that im intrested in.

The Wii optical drive would be massivly faster than the natve drives of the day, in paticualr the Neo Geo CD which really suffered from a X1 CD-ROM drive.