Wii version of Zelda: TP mirrored?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghall, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I just saw, while reading the IGN guides for Zelda: Twilight Princess, that the Wii version and the gamecube version are mirror images of eachother. Couldn't they just have mirrored the Link model? Anyone have any theories as to why this is?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Apparently because the entire game was designed for Link as a leftie, whatever that means, and so instead of redesigning bits of it they just flipped the whole thing.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I take it I'm a bit late at figuring this out, right?

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Clever. :)

It was kind of funny, I was looking at the pics in the guide and they were taken from the Wii version, and were reversed so all the writing was backwards. I was like: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    I'm so smart.:D

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So which version is lefty ?

maybe that's why I find the controls so awkward on the wii ...

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Link was always left-handed before the Wii version.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, I was trying to remember the way he looked in Ocarina...wow, you're right! :eek:

[​IMG]

It would've been cute if they made the actual game dynamically configurable for a left or right handed player. :)

I could even train my leftiness after completing the game right-handed, for a real challenge!

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok thats it. I'm trading in the wii version for the cube.

I want to enjoy the game, at the moment I'm not and actually this was one of the games I moaned in an earlier post it annoyed me becaause there was no left handed option. Well know there is - its called the cube

:rolleyes:

unfortunatly I'm a chronic leftie and its not training me, it more fustrating me at the moment.

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

You're trading it in because he's right handed in one and left handed in the other?

What's the point? The controls aren't hand-dependant in the Wii version. If you're left handed you can just hold the Wii remote left-handed by swapping the pointer over to your left hand. Problem solved. Slash left, slash right, jab, etc. will all operate exactly the same.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes. my prerogative, have issues with that ? :rolleyes:

Do you not think I have already swapped controllers ? It feels strange holding somthing in one hand whilst mimicking actions that are on the other on screen. You may not find it irksome, but I do.

Besides its not just the character that is switched, on the cube the entire world is reversed.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Ok this is just dumb. You do the spinning attack with the nunchuk .... so everyone is controlling the sword with a hand that is not the same as the screen.

And then you get the gamecube version so you can go back to the buttons which have nothing to do with the hand. The world being flipped actually makes it seem more different for me.

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

:rolleyes:

Obviously, it's not. Nintendo made a specific effort to make Link right-handed due exclusively to the fact that the vast majority of Wii gamers are right-handed. Top Nintendo brass has said exactly that on many occassions.

Before the Wii, it didn't matter, since you pressed a button to swing a sword. Now, however, it makes a difference. The Wii controller is designed to provide as close to a 1:1 relationship between your movement and the on-screen character's movement as possible. Putting the sword in the opposite hand makes no sense, in that regard.

I think we'll see future Zelda games on the Wii feature the true Hyrule layout (as seen on the 'Cube) and everything will be designed with an ambidextrous Link in mind. Once they do that, it's just a matter of setting the handedness option (left or right) in a menu somewhere.

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Just to be clear -- the version of Hyrule you see in the 'Cube version is more accurate than what you see in the Wii version. The Wii version is the one that is flipped.

Check your old Hyrule maps and you'll see that to be true. :)

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

How is it being a leftie on other games?

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't see why people are complaing about this lefty righty thing. Yea everything is mirrored, who cares. It doesn't effect anything, it's the same great game. As for Link being right handed now, I don't see how that effects controls. Granted I'm not left handed and Nintendo did specifically change it for the mass, none of the movements are left or right dependent. You shake the damn controller, that's what I do. No horizontal slash, no vertical slash, not stab, I just shake the damn thing when I get near an enemy.

I'm goin to try switchin the controllers, maybe it is a big nuisance... :rolleyes: When I first held the nunchuck and Wii-mote, the nunchuck felt more natural in the right hand, dunno why.

19. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I just think it's one of the strangest criticisms of the game I've heard. I'm left handed, played through and beat the entire game, and didn't even notice that Link was right handed until I read this thread. It seems like such a minor problem since the game play is exactly the same no matter which hand you hold the remote in.

I rather enjoyed the pointing with the remote on the Wii version, so I'd probably find the lack of that on the GC far outweighs purely visual wrong-handedness on the irksome scale.

20. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think its fine that nintendo switched, but I personally don't see the difference because both controllers control the sword. I see what they're going for and I have a feeling it was more about making sure that wii zelda didn't look too half done because everyone had known it was designed for the gamecube.

Its just like voice acting, I'm glad there aren't voices.

I understand what nintendo is going for, they aren't there yet in TP though and I highly doubt you will be able to switch at any point.

21. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

That's exactly why I opted for the GameCube version.

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I dont' think the game is unfinished, its great and I love it. I wouldn't sit down for the whole thing on a gamecube personally. Doesn't seem worth it or as fun after playing the wii-version

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

On Rayman it can be a pain because I have to swap controllers to my right hand. Which is my weaker and my level of acuracy is hindered on my right arm so its a pain especially on things like the drawing and stuff so I have to keep swapping hands dependant on mini-game. A pain in the bum.

And for Redsteel, playing it lefty feels weird when what you see on screen is opposite, espeically so for sword fighting sections, so I have to struggle with right handed config, but my aiming on my right hand is simply awful and cumbersome, I just pretty much dont have an ambidextrous bone in my body and it shows.

Some left handed people can cope better than others. I really cant, I find it difficult to even control a mouse in my right hand after a couple of seconds doing so I get fustrated by my lack of precision.

If I'm paying €60 for a game which is designed to be played with the control scheme it has, I think a left handed option should be available to me. Simple as that.

When you ask a left handed person to stand and spin around. They will naturally spin in a direction oposite to a right handed person.

So when your asked to spin the controller in your left hand, guess what.

24. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Which is exactly what he was saying. It doesn't matter. You don't spin the controller, you shake it. The direction you shake the controller in has no effect on the resulting motion on-screen. Shake nunchuck = Link spins. Everyone controls the sword with both hands.

I can see how Rayman could be difficult (I play that one right-handed), but Zelda was simple to play swapped.

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Exactly. In Zelda, it really makes no difference. You just giggle the controllers a little is all.

In fact, I don't see any reason they needed to mirror the game in the first place. I don't see anything wrong with Link being left handed on screen, or at the very least, wouldn't it be super easy for them to add a left/right option to the game?