Wii virtual console is lame.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

I hate to be complaining too much, but one of the main reasons I got the wii was to download the old games. But nintendo is failing in this aspect. Who the heck heard of alien crush? WTF? <--i never use that, thats how mad i am right now.

A more logical way of going at it would be having all the marios and zeldas and all the notable titles, not Dr. Robotnicks mean bean machine....

Does anyone know when Nintendo is going to get their act together and have the older games that everyone knows and loves?

Thanks...now that I've downloaded "Alien Crush" I'm gonna see what this game is all about....hah.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Relax. They're going to be releasing something like a dozen titles a month for the forseeable future.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A lot of us have heard of it. I remember the original and it's sequel Devil Crush. Alien Crush was a great little pinball game in its time..

But I fail to understand why your upset or angry.

Are you saying Nintendo should only release retro games that you have heard of?

A lot of gamers like myself have been gaming for the last 20 + odd years. I'm sure there's a shed load of titles you have never heard of :rolleyes:

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well I think it's quite good that they're not just releasing all the 'obvious' games. It would be good to see if there are a few games that slipped through the net back in the day that never got the recognition they deserved. But there certainly is a balance to be achieved regarding classics vs unknowns.

What I'm more bothered about is if Nintendo allow for demos of VC games so you can find out whether its a good or half-arsed conversion...

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The reason they're doing this is so they can release the better ones later. Remember - there are a finite number of potential virtual console games, hence they're staggering them

6. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Alien crush is sorta fun.....im sorry for bashing it :(

i guess me buying 4000 points just wanted something better lol.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This should keep you busy for a long while. It can also be had on FeeBay.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would seem like letting you play it for two or three or five minutes and then buy would be a really good investment for them.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem for me is other than 'nostalgia' factor, I dont see the attraction.
    And the nostalgia factor very quickly wears off.

Xbox marketplace arcade biggest asset wasnt the old arcade titles to me, but the new smaller independant games. Like Geometry Wars or Small Arms.

Paying good money for Defender or MK3 :rolleyes:

Same with Ninty's Virtual Console.

Ok there will be a few classics, but by god do Nintendo know how to milk them.

I've played through Mario World / 64 and most others many times (and have all the old cartridges anyway). Doing it all again and having to pay €10 per game for the privilege ? Sod that... I can play them free of charge on my macbook, and since I have the carts I'm legally allowed the roms, and it costs me nada....

I'd like to see very simple original games like Wii Play released on the marketplace. That would be excellent, but retro games... Just a fashionable fad these days I fear.

10. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard that they were going to do something like that...or just demos of upcoming games, like xbox does.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hoping on picking up some unheard of gems with this staggered release too. Excited as hell to finally get a chance to play Super Metroid, maybe the SNES original of Yoshis Island.

Wonder when the non-emulation Virtual Console games will start appearing?

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The way I see it is that Christmas morning is a Monday, they release games on Monday, what would be better than Super Mario Bros 1 on Christmas morning. Just like old time... :)

13. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I like the puzzle games like hexic, bejeweled, geowars, I want to see columns (I know it was considered the bastardized tetris of its day but I liked it)

14. shortyjj macrumors regular

15. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I don't own a Wii yet but what I've heard about the VC, I have 3 nitpicks:

1) No demos
    Pretty much everyone has already touched on this subject - there's no reason to not be able to download a demo of a game and try it beforehand before paying for it) :rolleyes:

2) Widescreen/Letterbox stretch issues
    What's the deal with having to go in and change the screen proportion prior to playing a VC game in order to have it display properly? Versus the game either a) being resized when launching or b) automatically changing and the readjusting back to widescreen after being done playing? In fairness, I do expect this to be fixed via patch or update soon enough.

my big gripe: :mad:
    3) No ala carte/subscription based service
    This is really really one thing I cannot stand about the VC. Nintendo is showing new levels of greed by not doing this and setting their prices like they have. They should have a $10/month "play what you want as often as you want" service or fee and quit with the nickel and diming $5 for a 20 year old NES title etc so on and so on BS. $10 a month would be a very good deal and I'd do it in a heartbeat. As it is - when I buy a Wii, I will not be getting anything from the VC because I wholeheartedly think the prices are insane. The games are great, nostalgia is there...but not for those prices. :rolleyes:

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

As stated, if Nintendo put up Super Mario World, LTTP, Super Metroid etc. from Day 1, a lot of people would dl those and not go for the more obscure titles. Als, third parties like hudson and Sega would not be happy.
    There's already some great games out. Check out Gunstar heroes, one of the best games for the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Some of the older NES games are so basic, a demo would be pretty much the whole game. Personally, I'd like to see a 30 second rolling demo of the game in action.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Prices good. (wii prices in brackets)

NES game (stored in box=good quality, not damaged) - £4.99 to £39.99 (3.50)
    SNES game (same again) - £5.99 to £69.99 (5.60)
    N64 game (unt again) - £9.99 to £29.99 (6.99)

VC lets me buy games that I don't need additional hardware or connections to play for much less than an original. Brilliant beyond anything IMO.

BUT HEY us Europeans will be able to convert our Star points into Wii points! 7,600 points in my case! booyah!

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You're comparing apples to oranges :D
    Let's be fair, shall we?
    VC games you don't get a physical cartridge, you don't get flawless labels, the cartridge dust slipcase, a box, maps etc.

If you go on eBay and purchase a Final Fantasy II (IV) or III (VI) SNES mint game for $40-$50, you're getting a cartridge, the instructions, the Overworld/Underworld map, the box with no creases, folds or tears, etc.

If you buy either game for $8 on the VC, you get...the game. Nothing more.
    (Granted, in this case, if you buy a loose FFII or FFIII cart, you'll probably pay between $12-$20 which is more than the $8 VC asking price, but nevertheless...the VC price is at a minimum 2-3x over (in many cases - 10x +) the asking price of 99.9% other games offered.)

Therefore a VC game is no different than going out and buying a loose cart, right? ;)

Ok, let's look at cart prices on MOST games and compare them to VC prices and you will clearly see that the VC is dramatically overpriced (at least it is in the United States). Considering that I can get a Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet cart at Funcoland (now Gamestop) for $0.01 cents, I think a $5 price for each of those games (if all three are available someday) is ludicrous. :rolleyes:

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Demos might be okay but for the most part people are downloading these games for nostalgia...

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I dont know where your buying retro games jimmi but I've picked up the most common games for as little as 50cent (30p) and the most I've had to pay is €1-2 (75p - £1.20) and thats for a physical item, fully boxed. Not some virtual nothingness.

It's only really rare games in mint condition that go for big money to a small amount of collectors.

I think the pricing for the wii virtual arcade is way off the mark altogether. It needs to be half of what it currently is at least...

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

Think more like time based demos like you get on mobile phone apps. Even a 2-day demo or a 30 minute runtime demo would be good. I can see this happening with an update.

I could see something like a subscription service popping up, though I'm not sure I'd use it. And as far as the quality of the titles, Nintendo may be saving some of the top-notch titles for a rainy day; a week or 2-week span in which no great games are scheduled for release... oh look, the metroid series hit's VC this week. It's games that drive console sales, not the other way around.

Strategically placed VC titles could really provide a boost during (historic) sales slumps. Obviously with the Holidays, the practically Wii sells itself (Zelda doesn't hurt :) )

22. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I agree with the general thrust of this thread. It says a lot when the selection from third-party consoles far outshines the first-party titles. Is Nintendo doing this like state quarters, start with the very earliest releases then work forward in time? 'Cause that may be the only way to justify so many crap one-word games from 1985-6.

I understand the argument that Nintendo might not want to overshadow the other platforms - but clearly not in Japan, and when has Nintendo ever put others' games ahead of first-party sales?

Given a decent selection of titles, I easily could/would have downloaded 10+ games by now. I have 3. Nuff said.

EDIT: I also agree that prices are a bit too high. Nintendo programmed me so well in the '80s/90s that there's no way I'd pay $8 for a Genesis title. Alien Crush, maybe, but six bucks...? With prices where they're at, they discourage casual sampling and instead promote a download-only-if-you're-already-a-fan attitude.

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hey, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine rocks... don't knock PuyoPuyo! :D

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

*cough*cough*...or just get an emulator and download some ROMs...*cough*cough*

25. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Well everybody knows you can do that, but on the example of Gametap, you pay $10 a month and you can play some Dreamcast games (like Crazy Taxi and Toy Commander), some arcade CPS-II games (like Street Fighter Alpha 3) and even some Xbox games (like Splinter Cell). Versus Nintendo charging what they do for their games...which are great but severely outdated (compared to the Gametap example).

Look, I understand the whole "we're out to make money" scenario; I'm not downplaying it or trying to gather a bunch of torch carriers to march to Nintendo HQ and burn the place down. But they're approaching levels of greed that are disgusting. I mean, I can't say I'm too surprised, because they did release Urban Champion for the GBA with a $19.99 price tag, and some of those titles released in the NES Classics series were good games...but $20 good (in the grand scheme of things when $50-$60 buys you games like Okami and Gears of War)? Hell no. :rolleyes: /shrug

Nintendo needs to drop the then and get with the now. I'm not saying "give 'em away for free", but for the love of god...make your money, just don't rape your fanbase and longtime loyal supporters with price tags like you currently have for those games. Super Mario Brothers is one of the greatest games ever made, and everyone around the world appreciates what the game has done to gaming, and everyone likes the game. But there's only so much Super Mario Brothers you can tolerate at a $5 price tag before you start questioning some people. :rolleyes: