Wii Virtual Console prices??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    What do you guys think about the prices set for the VC on the wii? Personally I think 8 bucks for a snes game is a bit much...I mean, one could just download it for free, ya its illegal, but its an option. I would like it if they would bump the prices down after a while...
  2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    Its a little high I think. $10 and up for an N64 game? Please. I bought Golden Eye for 8.99$ a few months ago, and Mario 64 for $15 almost a year ago. with all the packaging etc.

For certain, hard to find games it's not bad. For newer games (like if they could get Dreamcast/Saturn games) It would be the bomb because they are harder to find/emulate. SNES roms are only a few meg's and emulators are everywhere.
  3. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    gonna depend on the game: for the everybody-had-it game it perhaps is too much, but for the hard-to-get and low supply games it's not bad
    the snes weren't as popular around here and games sales normally are smaller too so the amount of games is limited
  4. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I'lll pay 8 bucks for a legal copy of some of the best games ever!(Plus Computer emulators often suck, and aren't hooked up to my TV, and I don't have a controlller)
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I for one am relieved about the prices.

If a SNES game is only $8=£4 then w00t. SNES games here range from £5 minimum to £40/$76 for the classics (Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy). just look at the attachment!
    I can't wait. these prices are so much cheaper than what we're used to. Only problem are the NES games. One can pick up a NES cart for just 99p now, complete with box, though again the rare ones will set you back £30+ (Zelda, again!).

ps. Chrono Trigger is £69 = $132 and FFV is £39 = $74. Anyone care to tell me that's better than paying $8?

Attached Files:

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    What would be really cool would be if the VC had a method for inputing Serial numbers and UPC codes to allow you to get the games you already have sitting at home for a discount (ideally free, but who am I kidding). I have a bunch of NES games sitting at home and a few N64 games. I probably won't replace them all but it would be nice if I could get a discount for the games I already legally own.
  7. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    You should be able to type in a code on the original box or cart to download for free...for example, I have Zelda OoT cart just laying here, cause I don't have my N64 anymore and just found this game in my closet. It would be cool if I could use it as a code to dl it for free on the wii since I already own the physical copy.
  8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    NES= 500 VC points, $5
    SNES=800 VC point, $8
    N64= 1000 VC points, $10
  9. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    a bit high IMO. but i'd gladly plunk down some cash to be able to play my old Sega Master System and Turbo Grafx 16 games.
  10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'll definitely pay those prices because, as jimmi said, cartridges of the good games are pretty darn expensive, and those are the ones I want! I just finished the original NES Zelda on my computer and want to do LttP next, but as gorgeous as the Wii Classic Controller is, I think I'm going to wait....hopefully they'll release LttP in the US in the next wave of VC games in January...
  11. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    $8 for the Mario/DUCK HUNT game... HELL YEAH! especially with the new Wii Remote, it's totally got some potential to be really, really fun! I just with that nintendo did what Microsoft did with the 360 where they had limited test machines at like bestbuy, EB games and Wal-Mart, cause I really want a Wii and if I buy one of the new gen systems thats what it will be (I love the idea of having a blu-ray player with the PS3... but $500-$600 for just a console... no way) but I'd like to try before I buy and I'm afraid my only option will be to buy it the day it comes out by going to bestbuy bright and early before they open (well possibly before its bright out...) I think there reasoning is they want people to buy it and just give it a chance instead of trying it for 5 mins and deciding if they like it or not
  12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I am fine with these prices. I think it cost me 400 microsoft points for Contra on the Live Arcade......which is about $5 for an 8-bit Nintendo generation game. I'm pretty sure Street Fighter and Mortal Combat on the Live Arcade is more expensive. As long as prices are comparable I don't have a problem with it. I'd spend $50 for Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and possibly some others :)