Wii Virtual Console Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by AmbitiousLemon, Nov 28, 2006.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I haven't bought a game console since the original nintendo (ok I was a baby so I didn't buy it, but my parents did) but I have been thinking of picking up the Wii, just seems to bring some fun and innovation back to video games.

One thing I thought was rather nice about it was the ability to play some of the old games, but looking at the virtual console titles list, I was rather disappointed. Where is tetris? I thought it would be really cool to have the original tetris and the N64 tetris games on Wii.

Has there been indication from Nintendo how many more classic titles they will be bringing to Virtual Console as Wii matures?

2. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'll paste a link here when I get home. Nintendo will be releasing about 10 virtual console games a month.

3. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Just found this:

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Supposedly 30 games before the end of the year, with 10 coming each month after that.

5. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I had seen this list, just thought it was weird that Tetris wasn't one of the first Nintendo released:

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I would expect they would run into some licensing problems with Tetris.

I want to know why James Pond 3: operation Starfish hasn't been released yet.:p

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I just might buy a Wii so I can get ToeJam & Earl!

Lethal

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Wow. Super Mario RPG.

Super Metroid.

*drools* I Love my wii.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

10. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Games on Wii

I want:

RC-Pro AM
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark (N64 wasn't quite powerful enough for 2player cooperative)
    Mario Party (can you imagine that with the Wi-motes and 4 players?!)

I cannot wait till this thing comes out in the UK, any idea how much each game will cost for us here in the UK?

F

11. therevolution macrumors 6502

As it has been noted many times before, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are unlikely to appear as VC games since they were both developed by Rare, which is now owned by Microsoft.

12. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Perfect Dark/Conker's bad hair day/Jet Force Gemini/Banjo-Kazooie won't ever show up on the VC, since they are Rare original IPs.

With Goldeneye, however, it's not so black and white. Nintendo bought the rights for the Goldeneye game and let Rare develop it. So, in a sense it's like Rare developing Donkey Kong Country - Nintendo owns the property and distributes it, and makes others do all the work. Only problem is, Nintendo is only allowed to distribute Goldeneye on the N64. The James Bond video game franchise is now owned by Activision, and the James Bond franchise as a whole is now owned by Sony Pictures.

So you see the mess? Rare has nothing to do with this.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Yeah, Pilotwings might be the first one I buy. :)

Daniel.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I can indeed imagine that, but VC and GC games need either the classic controller or a GC controller.

16. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Donkey Kong Country is a Rareware/Nintendo game and it is planned for VC

17. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

As a guy was saying above, this gives hope to Goldeneye, because it is also a Nintendo/Rare game. I'm excited!

Daniel.

18. therevolution macrumors 6502

Whoo, okay. Thanks for the info, you two. The Donkey Kong thing doesn't surprise me as much since DK is a Nintendo property, while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark aren't. Still, good to know.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's kinda with the multiple owners of certain old games, especially Goldeneye. If it's true that Sony holds license to the James Bond trademark, then it would essentially take all 3 players to get the game released on VC. I read on Kotaku that MS wanted Goldeneye on XBLA, but that Nintendo would have to sign off on it (and Sony as well, I assume). With the popularity of the game, I could definitely see the possibility of releasing it on all 3. Just write a contract stating that each sale goes completely to the company on whose console the game was purchased (IE: No royalties to the other companies) or just split every sale 3 ways no matter which console it was purchased on. Everyone wins.

I also hope that MS and Nintendo can reach an agreement on the other Rare IPs (IE: Both companies can publish the games on their respective VC/LA and split the profits or take 100% of their own sales without royalties).

20. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are two N64 games I would love to see on the virtual console. Here's to hope......

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree, but they may not be exclusive to Nintendo's VC. It doesn't bother me, and I hope that all 3 companies can work everything out so that we, the gamers, come out ahead. And non-exclusivity works with current-gen games, so I hope that they can "join forces" if you will, recognizing that the VC market is great enough to share 3-ways.

22. therevolution macrumors 6502

I found a direct quote from Reggie in an article at MTV News (via Slashdot) on the chances of seeing Goldeneye on the VC:

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it depends how the contracts (most likely region base as well) were set up.. especially distribution rights ..

24. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

enough about goldeneye! i want to hear about tetris! :p ;)

25. therevolution macrumors 6502

Sorry! Just trying to make up for my previous ignorance. :eek: :p