Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
NINTENDO'S WIIWARE PAVES THE WAY FOR FRESH GAMES, COOL CONSUMER EXPERIENCES

Nintendo Sets a New Paradigm: One Game Can Still Make a Difference

SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 27, 2007 – The search for the next ingeniously ground-breaking video game has begun. At a private developers conference this week, Nintendo announced the introduction of WiiWare™, a game-creation service that will allow developers large and small to create new downloadable video game content for sale by Nintendo through the Wii Shop Channel of the hot Wii™ home video game system. WiiWare paves the way for smaller, more creative games to make their way to the public at lower prices, without any inventory risk to developers. The first WiiWare content will launch in early 2008.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/27/nintendo-takes-wraps-off-of-wiiware/

Sounds great for indie developers. Hopefully the SDK will be simple enough and possibly Mac-compatible.

So, where's our USB Mass Storage support for growing collection of Virtual Console content?

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
i really want some new free channels, wiipaint would be really cool. The last thing nintendo gave us was everybody votes, and it really isn't that interesting

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
You might as well have called this thread, "ATTN: Raggedjimmi".

How expensive will this be? I would LOVE to learn it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was wondering the same. Sony *had* Net Yaroze but that cost an arm and a leg.

I'm wondering if it will be easier to dev for WiiWare over XNA. I wasn't too impressed with that since it didn't offer much over regular PC dev'ing.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
In the last part of an interview reprinted on 'semi-official' Sony blog ThreeSpeech, Sony Worldwide Studios head Phil Harrison has said that user-created content will take a large and central role for the overall PS3 strategy, but in some seemingly unique ways.

When asked about the company's strategy for user created content in a UK Official PlayStation Magazine interview reprinted on ThreeSpeech, Harrison responded that it was one of the features he was most excited about, but warned, "don’t think about it in terms of [making] maps, think of it in terms of behaviours, environments, physics, rules... all the tools that you could want, but in a very consumer friendly way.”

When followed-up on the input devices consumers might use for the new content, be it mouse and keyboard or simply through the Sixaxis controller, Harrison added, "The vast majority of the experience could be done with the pad, but for the small investment of plugging in a USB mouse there might be a second level, or a deeper level of finesse, that you could get in terms of pixel manipulation and paint programs or fine tuning things."

"Different users will have different wants," he continued, "some will go all the way down to buying the special software that allows them to create their super levels. 95% of users are happy to be the consumer, but 5% are incredibly fanatical about creating a huge amount of content and the whole community benefits from it, and that is a really interesting trend."

Finally ,and revealing inspiration from a perhaps unexpected source, Harrison then went on to say, "Look at Second Life. Everything about the experience is user-created content. That is a very, very powerful metaphor for where we’re going. We’ve got two things in development. One in this building and one with an external developer that, when we do share them with you, I think you’re going to go ‘Ah now I know what he was talking about.'"
- November 16, 2006

Sony has been going on about user generated content since last E3.......
(an official product name has not been announced, but expect several different software tools to arise in the future)

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
- November 16, 2006

(an official product name has not been announced, but expect several different software tools to arise in the future)

Nintendo had talked about user-created and original games to download since the VC was brought into existence. They've just been somewhat slower.
This is really overdue!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
- November 16, 2006

The quote you provide is on a very different topic. Sony is talking about making MAPPING software available, while Microsoft and Nintendo are talking about making DEVELOPMENT software available.

So whereas on XBox Live Arcade or Wii Virtual Console you will see games created by independent developers, on Sony you will not see those games BUT you will get fan-created maps for games like Killzone.

One of the things I've loved about PC gaming is fan-created maps. They can often be better than the official maps. I still play Elite Force to this day because of fan-created maps like PadGarden and PadKitchen.

However, to my knowledge, Sony has NOT talked about providing a way for developers to make their own games. They've only talked about letting fans create their own map (not for a profit, either).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Right I'm back home now with a keyboard in lieu of a Wii Remote.

I'm really excited about this. On a personal level of course, I've got access via my studio to a proper Wii and PC development studio. This could be really great for bedroom coding. I really love how the 360 and Wii are trying to bring us back to the age of the Amiga and friends.

This spells a great future for gaming.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The quote you provide is on a very different topic. Sony is talking about making MAPPING software available, while Microsoft and Nintendo are talking about making DEVELOPMENT software available.

So whereas on XBox Live Arcade or Wii Virtual Console you will see games created by independent developers, on Sony you will not see those games BUT you will get fan-created maps for games like Killzone.

One of the things I've loved about PC gaming is fan-created maps. They can often be better than the official maps. I still play Elite Force to this day because of fan-created maps like PadGarden and PadKitchen.

However, to my knowledge, Sony has NOT talked about providing a way for developers to make their own games. They've only talked about letting fans create their own map (not for a profit, either).

in retrospect, not too long ago Sony had a competition for creative game ideas....whoever had the best id3ea would get funding from Sony to start their own studio. So while the above quote may not incorporate user created games, I am pretty certain it will eventually come to fruition. Its one of the main reasons for PS3 linux(besides getting the console labeled as a "PC" for import tax reasons :p )

In an intriguing turn of events, Sony executive Izumi Kawanishi has illuminated some of his company's PlayStation 3 Linux plans, indicating that it will be possible for individual 'homebrew' coders to create playable content for PS3, something actively blocked for Sony's PSP handheld.

In comments made to Japanese game website Impress Watch, and translated by GameSetWatch contributor Shou Suzuki, Kawanishi noted: "Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities... Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3."

It seems that Sony is happy to let basic application and game construction take place without access to the extremely sophisticated rendering and physics libraries available to licensors - Kawanishi further commented: "When a game studio enacts development on a PS3 by entering a license contract, SDK libraries... will be presented, and various technical support given. In contrast, when using Linux World on the PS3... support will fall to the lowest level required, and you must solve and work on things by yourselves."

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
I wonder if it's possible to utilise one of those USB ports on the back to connect a external USB 2 hard drive, also i'm hoping someone is going to get a proper streaming app for the wii and mac up and running, as i believe the wii has the potential for this.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Its great that they are going to have all this stuff for devs, but come on nintendo! We want more free channels! Yes, the browser is great, and everybody votes is mildly entertaining, but we want more!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
in retrospect, not too long ago Sony had a competition for creative game ideas....whoever had the best id3ea would get funding from Sony to start their own studio. So while the above quote may not incorporate user created games, I am pretty certain it will eventually come to fruition. Its one of the main reasons for PS3 linux(besides getting the console labeled as a "PC" for import tax reasons :p )

The quote there, however, was an older quote; Sony then pulled Linux as preinstalled and really didn't do anything to help homebrew coders.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Its great that they are going to have all this stuff for devs, but come on nintendo! We want more free channels! Yes, the browser is great, and everybody votes is mildly entertaining, but we want more!

Wishing upon a star; it'd be great if they offered a free game every week. Sorta like how iTunes has the free weekly single.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I don't really see the 512MB as limiting creativity too much. Does the XBOX version allow games that size?
People keep mentioning the SDk but Reggie when talking about Wii Ware kept making references to the standard Wii kit that's already available.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
So WiiWare is an actual SDK? Every article I've read on it so far has appeared vague on what WiiWare actually is, though I'm assuming it is an actual development environment?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
So WiiWare is an actual SDK? Every article I've read on it so far has appeared vague on what WiiWare actually is, though I'm assuming it is an actual development environment?

Wii Ware is more or less the distribution service. Currently the web browser and Everybody Votes channel are available through Wii Ware. What Nintendo has done is open up Wii Ware to developers so that they can create and distribute software, mostly games. Basically, we should expect to see original and more Xbox Live Arcade-style games instead of just Virtual Console games.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Wii Ware is more or less the distribution service. Currently the web browser and Everybody Votes channel are available through Wii Ware. What Nintendo has done is open up Wii Ware to developers so that they can create and distribute software, mostly games. Basically, we should expect to see original and more Xbox Live Arcade-style games instead of just Virtual Console games.

Oh, I getcha.

So... what's the Wii SDK situation at the moment?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm assuming Wii Ware is also a set of dev tools to enable developers to make at least basic Wii games. Maybe not Super Mario Galaxy, but advanced 2D/simple 3D (better than N64), designed to be distributed over the internet.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Well, the first title that will be released via Wii Ware is this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/first-wii-ware-game-announced-plattchen-twist-n-paint/

I'm assuming Wii Ware is also a set of dev tools to enable developers to make at least basic Wii games. Maybe not Super Mario Galaxy, but advanced 2D/simple 3D (better than N64), designed to be distributed over the internet.

Re-reading the press-release, WiiWare™ does appear to be the name of the SDK. Okay, I lied. Wii Ware isn't just the distribution channel. :p

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Alright, now allow unlimited Wii Channel slots, and let me save to my SD card(and not have to copy back and forth), and use USB Flash Drives, and harddrives as storeage.

Or atleast come up with an add on for Wii...I'd pay for a flash drive add on to the back of my Wii(8GBs? 16Gbs?) Make it fight real nice up against the Wii.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.