Wii Wireless Trouble

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Nov 19, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Anybody else having trouble connecting to their wireless router with the Wii?

I'm putting in the correct password, but I keep getting weird errors. The support.nintendo.com site is down so I can't look up the codes.

:(

EDIT: Had to turn off WEP encryption keys to get it to work.. :D

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I did as well, it took me a while to get connected...the wii did not want to pick up the wireless signal so I gave the router a reset and then restarted the wii and it detected it.

Bless

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I honestly expected tons of trouble, but it recognized my WPA-protected Airport Express immediately and I was up and running fast. Of course the Airport Express got 5 out of 5 stars on their website and is "recommended" for use with the Wii.

4. JW008 macrumors 6502

I couldn't get my WEP encrypted airport express (sorry if the usage of is wrong, don't know much about it) to connect to my Wii either. So, I did what Gimzotoy did and turned them off. Not that I'm EXTREMELY worried about not having a protected airport, but I'd like to turn it back on AND work with the Wii.

I could turn WPA-protection on, but I like I said, I don't know much about it. Is it really any different on a day-to-day basis then WEP? Does the difference come when you're trying to connect another computer to the network? If so, is it just a matter of typing in the password?

Thanks!!

5. PCM macrumors regular

won't work with my WEP encrypted airport express either. My computer is not WPA compatible (or so it says when I try to change the security settings) so I don't know what to do but turn it off and on when I need to use the Wii.

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Wait....arent you a European? Or not...maybe that was just Jaggedjimmi, and MRU....oh well

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You folks with WEP - are you making sure to use the full HEX key rather than a passcode? I know that my DS required the full zillion-digit key to connect correctly.

8. PCM macrumors regular

I've been trying to use the passcode. Where can I find the full HEX key??

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The router itself should be able to provide it for you. Depending on whether or not you're using 64 or 128-bit encryption, it will be 16 (if memory serves) or 26 hexadecimal characters in length.

EDIT: Here's a link to a WEP hex calculator where you can input your exact passphrase and it will generate the appropriate Hex key for you. Worth a shot.

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Dude. That helps a bunch. I kind of hate having the WEP off to get my Wii to connect. This should fix it! :)

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hopefully it will work for you. I noticed that both my DS AND my Mac had similar problems, requiring the hex key rather than the passcode. Odd.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

In my experience passcode only works with routers and cards of similar brands (a linksys passcode will only work on a Linksys card). However, hex has always worked for me.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Makes sense. Irritating, ne?

14. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I keep getting an error code (52030) when I try to connect my Wii up to the net. What's going on?

15. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Okay...I'm frustrated. Basically my wireless system is a single Airport Extreme Card sending out a signal. With the Wii I can pick up the computer...but when it does a connection test I get an error code. Does anyone know what's wrong?

16. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Try doing the hex code thing posted above or turn off your encryption and it should work.

17. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I was having trouble getting the Wii to accept my WEP password. It would let me select WPA and try to connect but it would give me the 51330 error and say it couldn't connect, which is probably because it WASN'T a WPA password. Then I found in Apple's support that WEP passwords should be exactly 13 characters long to be non-Mac friendly. I added a few characters to my WEP password, and the Wii connected like a charm. Hopefully this will help some of you.

18. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I don't know how to do either... Could you please walk me through it? I'd be much obliged, even though it's a pain in the ass.

19. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

my Wii recognizes my wireless signal, tests it and says it works, but then when it's trying to download an "update", it gets an "interner error." :(

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nope....but I would sure like to visit the U.K...anybody paying?:D

Bless

21. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

BUMP

Error code 52030, anyone? How to I change the Hex thing, or change my wireless channel?

I'm just sending out a signal from my airport extreme card in my G5.

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I thought I'd chime in as I just got my Wii connected to the net with Internet Sharing coming from the AirPort card in my Mac Pro.

1. I had to enter the full HEX password. I actually used the WEP hex calculator page that gloss linked above, entered a 13 character password, and entered the HEX string into my Wii settings.

That worked, it could connect to the wireless signal but not to the internet. So I went and...

2. followed the same steps for setting up the DS with shared wireless and it connected perfectly.

I turned off the OS X firewall just in case (as I remember the DS had problems with it) but later I'll try it with the firewall on. I also set the Airport to channel 1, as Nintendo's support site mentioned using channels 1 or 11 with the 52030 error code, which is what I was getting at first (incidentally, that error code also refers to a DHCP problem, which is exactly what that MacOSXHints article fixes).

23. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

None of those instructions work for me. The strange thing is that I have gotten the DS to work with my Mac's shared internet access but the same settings do not work on the Wii. Damn! If only there was a simple utility that could look at the Mac's wireless settings and list everything that must be entered into the Wii.