Wiimote gets smarter

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738645p1.html

A review of the article, the wiimote will soon be able to "learn" your movements. So, say you wanna swing your keyblade up and down, you can, say you wanna do an upercut type thing with the keyblade, ya you can.
    \

2. kgarchar macrumors 6502

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

You've got to have a look at that video to understand just how powerful this tool is going to be for developers.

Link

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Wow. I guess I've been pretty ignorant to the Wii... but I must say, seeing two people playing together (even something silly like that balloon pop game) looks like a lot of fun.

I may just have to spring for a Wii.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

6. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

Balloon Pop looks great! Hope it's a launch title! :D

7. Kinneas macrumors member

That's really exciting.

Wii is either gonna rock or suck. I bet people will either love it or hate it. I'm just glad to see creativity. It'll be interesting to see how well it works with FPS games, sports games, etc.

If it really works out, I'm sure we'll all see USB compatible PC/MAC Wii-style remotes.

8. rob finch macrumors member

Jeez, how cool is that?! The possibilities for this controller are endless. The developers only have to have people stand there and perform the move and it's in the game! :eek:

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I will certainly be developing for the Wii right after uni.
    ps. they have the wrong guy presenting that video.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

@ Jimmi and other coders,

So this is basically a 3rd party API for the Wii-Mote, right? It seems like AiLive is basically coding different things you can do with the remote for other developers to use in their games. So instead of a company having to program a sword slash, the just say "do function AiLive.Sword.Slash" or something like that. I might be way off base here. Could you please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Anyway, good news for the Wii. I can't wait for the release. Once the devs and masses truly get their hands on the Wii, I think the innovations are gonna skyrocket. I'd bet that we are gonna get a lot of new types of gameplay on the Wii: things that people just pick up the controller and say "Hey, this feels good. Let's make a game." I also don't think we've seen everything this little white box can do.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I hope the price tag ($2500) of this cool little tool won't be too much for the very small independant developers. Well, they could always code it "old style". Maybe it's not that expensive but it still costs more than the actual Wii dev kits ($1700). I can't wait to see how Nintendo will help small developers publish to the virtual console.

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

anybody see the package for these

[​IMG]

looks just like a nano box.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's beautiful... :eek: I can't wait to get my hands on one.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought that box was already announced as being fake?

Still, they can't go wrong with the boxing. Especially with Ninty sneaking out Jonathan Ive.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I have a feeling children are going to go absolutely ape over the Wii - it could be the real "if you really love me, you'll buy me a..." gift this Christmas.

The PS/3 and Xbox 360 seem to me so much more toys for big boys (and girls).

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

How much would that balloon game hurt your arm after more than five minutes though :(

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where did that come from? :confused: I'm a big boy and I can't wait for my Wii. This big boy has been playing games for too long and got bored of 'traditional' controllers on the Gamecube. I think it was the lack of FPS ability with a joypad, a genre I quite like.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

About the same of intense 5 minutes on Halo multiplayer? I think my thumb muscles have hit their pinnacle now.
    on a similar note - I was being trained how to spin knives and stuff today (it has been a mad day) but I noticed my arms aching after a while. I hope the Wii can build up arm muscles. get a workout and play at the same time? bingo.

19. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Children and 21 college year olds like myself...

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm 23 so i guess i don't fall into the big boys category

actually i don't know anybody who remotely thinks about buying either ps3 or a 360 older than 20

22. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

That box is only for the Wii Television Remote Control. It's a tv remote in Wii remote casing, distributed to premium japanese fan club members. The actual box for the Wii remote could very likely be different.

23. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Tahts just a suviner wii mote! It looks like a wiimote but it is actully a TV remote. I saw it on IGN yesterday!

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

IGN has a follow-up story on LiveMove that explains it a little bit better.

Link

25. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You know this mature (big boys and girls) and immature (kids) gamer thing is ridiculous.

To be a real gamer(PS3, 360) you have to have mature themes, like sex and violence. So many people are identifying themselves with this to be cool, and completely shunning the Wii.

I think its ridiculous.