Wiis adult appeal

Discussion in 'Games' started by supergod, Nov 25, 2006.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

I was given a Nintendo Wii for my birthday two days ago. So far I've been greatly enjoying Zelda and Wii Sports. I was dissapointed with the design of the system: it feels very cheap and the base is flimsy. The lighting on mine seems to be broken as well so no blue glow (it will occasionally flash for maybe a tenth of a second but not bright at all). The controller on the other hand feels great in the hand...

either way, that's not the point of this post. the point is, my parents, in their fifties, who have NEVER played games before and have pretty much hated every game I have ever owned (with the exception of a slight interest in the game Shenmue) have invited over their friends and are playing wii sports. I think Nintendo has finally created a system that appeals to all age groups.

My parents and their bunch of wealthy friends instantly turn into little kids when they play Wii Sports Tennis and without having the controls explained at all. Normally my mum will need to get my help if she wants to use any piece of electronics equipment, TV included. It's taken her years to figure out how to do basic tasks on their computer. But she has been using the Wii now with no problems and hasn't had to ask me any questions.

So, if my situation is any example I would expect a lot of parents are going to buying this system for their kids and then using it themselves to play simple party games.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Cool story. :cool: I guess Nintendo succeeded.

I think it's only supposed to flash when you turn it on and be off during normal operation. I guess a lot of people expected it to be on whenever the system was on.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, another one. This seems to be happening a lot now. I can't wait to see this parent appeal. Sick of playing games on my own now, just hope the Wii can get all my family playing again.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My parents like the Wii too and are gonna play Tennis with their friends tonight for a bit.

However, I doubt they will ever buy a game for it. And they certainly would never buy one if I hadn't. It's fun, but how many non-gamers are gonna spend $400 on a video game? And once the novelty wears out, will they still wanna play it? My dad used to play Hot Shots Golf like mad crazy but after the fun of it wore off, he stopped playing games altogether

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indeed, this is where I think Nintendo's type of advertising works (ie, none :D )

I buy a Wii.
    Parents love playing it.
    Arguments ensue.
    Parents buy own machine.
    I show them a new game (tough gen?).
    They buy their own copy.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't think any kind of advertisements will pull in my parents. But hey, it's working with the DS. I know people who bought it just for Nintendogs and now play Brain Training. No actual games at all! Still going to be interesting.

6. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Advertising will prove somewhat effective but I think the big difference this generation has been the amount of coverage devoted to the system in mainstream press. The Globe and Mail have been running Wii articles prominently for the last few weeks.

I believe that one of the things keeping adults from buying more games is the lack of game reviews in major newspapers. My parents never knew what Zelda was but now that it has gotten a full page review in the newspaper they know all about it. As soon as Wii games start getting reviewed on a regular basis in the paper I will predict that game sales on many games marketed at casual players will go up. Just look at the huge amount of newscoverage that Brain Age has gotten and the corresponding sales.

7. CeeGee macrumors newbie

The Wii's blue light only comes on when one has email or there is an update from nintendo waiting for you.

Your machine isn't broken.

The "cheap" feel of the unit is understandable. It only costs $250 and most of that money is to pay for the R&D that went into making the Wii Remote.

If it makes you feel any better I have never had an issue with any nintendo hardware in over 20 years of buying their products. They are simply the best in the business. Zelda is the pinnacle of gaming it doesn't get any better.

BTW I am 34 and the Wii is by far the most appealing console on the market to me. I absolutely love Nintendo and their franchises. My wife and children agree.