Wiis being held till DEC 17! (?)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bobdude161, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

It is confirmed Best Buy will be selling a "limited quantity" of Wiis on Sunday DECEMEBER 17. But rumor also has that Wal-Mart, Target, Gamestop and other retailers are also holding off for this special day. Can anyone else confirm this?

Edited date: Just woke up.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

WOW, November 17!!!??? That's like a WHOLE YEAR AWAY....or a month ago...depending on how you look at it.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I just tried camping out a Target yesterday (12/10) when they finally opened antoher person in line asked an employee, who said they would be getting Wiis next Sunday, 12/17.

After that I went to BestBuy which opened an hour later, and they had no Wiis, nor any information on when they would (at least not they would tell me).

4. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I heard the same thing at 2 Targets and an EB world store yesterday.

Get your camping gear ready for 12/17.

5. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

That's what happens when you post right as you wake up. :p

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Heard that...

I heard that too, the 18th, but they might have bumped it up a day to the 17th...

The same thing happend with the Gamecube. I got mine on launch day in November. My friend's kid wanted an XBOX, but they were too much money and hard to get for my friends. He came over and played my GC and he said one of those would be geat! (he'd wait until his birthday the following year for an XBOX).

I remember they ended up running over to a Best Buy mid December and they had a whole slew of them, and people lined up and Best Buy had a special table and register line for GC purchases (systems, controllers, games). His wife went in, picked up the system, a controller, and a couple of games and ended up at the registers. They had tons though, and she was able to go after work.

Sounds like Nintendo will be doing this again....

7. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

This is true, the wii is featured again in the sunday ad so they are holding until then. May hold the same for other retailers.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Damn these RE Wii-leases! I just want a Wii for Mii! I have half of Mii company looking for one, so I thought Wii would have better luck, but NOTHING!

aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Yeah my friend tried to get his Wii two weeks ago and the rep. said they had them in stock but weren't allowed to put them out until this date. I really don't know what the point of holding the stock is at all. The price is the same thus profit is the same, so what's the point of not selling to the guaranteed buys now :confused:

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Just to add more potential confirmation... The Best Buy, Toys R Us, Circuit City and Targets in my area are holding off until the 17th as well.

I think there will be a lot of stock though, of both consoles and controllers.

A guy at Best Buy told me that the 17th was when they were going to have the next shipment of controllers available, so they're holding off on consoles so folks will buy both at the same time instead of just buying the console and then going somewhere else for the controllers. This way the retailers make more money from the customers

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

maybe it's to keep steady traffic coming into the stores, to get people to buy even more things.

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm so glad that I got mine. I just need some extra nunchucks now.

13. emaja macrumors 68000

It is not about profit at all since the retailers do not make anything on the consoles themselves. It is about advertised quantities. The sales fliers will have "minimum x per store" in them and the stores have to be sure to have that many, plus a few extra, in stock. for Sunday when the sales start.

I knew there would be issues with game and controller availability, so I grabbed those before the launch just to be sure I had them.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Componenet cables?

Does anyone know if they'll have the Nintendo Component Cables too??

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wow, you guys have it tough.

There are so many Wiis, controllers, cables, games etc in all the stores it's like we've gone Wii-mad down here - there was actually a crowd of people watching people play golf on it down the shops today. And I mean a proper crowd - even the department store staff were having a go.

There's certainly no shortage of accessories either - the little back alley game store had 14 Wii motes and about the same of classic controllers. Haven't seen nun chucks but I wasn't really looking for them.

Shame I'm not a gamer eh?

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The boat doesn't have to travel across the ocean to get to you the Wii's...:D

17. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Same in Canada

I've heard december 17th for the Toys'R Us here too.

I hope they get the components cable.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Um, geography not your strong point?

We're an island.

19. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I'm no geography buff either, but I don't believe you have to cross an ocean to get to australia from the east side of asia, just a sea or 2, right?

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, it's about 10 hours from here to Tokyo by plane. That Pacific Ocean is a big mother.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No worries, it's about 19 from where I am.

Worth the trip, though. Neat place.

22. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Component Cables are already out, my Best Buy has some just sitting there. Only reason I didn't buy any is because my tv is too old to use them.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, but unfortunately, the stores (the big ones, anyway) don't give a rat's a-- about us, the customer. I've thought about playing the "You just lost a guaranteed sale" card, but more than likely, they could literally fling poo on us and we'd still buy the console from them if it were the only place they were available. Let's face it, between now and Christmas, every Wii that comes in to Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target will be sold, whether we buy it or someone else does.

It's the same thing with the crappy bundles... If you wanna play, you gotta play by someone else's rules.

24. afornander macrumors 6502

sounds good, night of the 16th im gonna be camped out in front of my local target!:D i cant wait a week though!!!! i know, i will freeze myself for the next 3 days, then unfreeze myself on saterday! it will go by in no time:cool:

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What gets me is that some of the smaller hole-in-the-wall places are playing along with this. I went into a small hole-in-the-wall GameStop yesterday and asked about Wiis. They said to check back on the 17th. Now if the supply at Target, Walmart, Circuit City, and Best Buy are bountiful the GameStop could end up not selling all of the systems (I realize that supply is not likely to be that bountiful but a guy can dream can't he?)

If they were to release their stock on Wednesday, or even Friday, or yesterday, they would almost be assured a sell out just due to word of mouth. They might have even gotten me to come back to them to buy accessories and games, now it looks like I'll end up buying from Target or Best Buy and GameStop will probably never see any of my money.