Wii's in the UK

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone know of shops stocking the Wii? I've scoured Virgin Megastores, Argos, HMV, John Lewis... pretty much all of Manchester and Trafford Centre. Any small shops I'm missing? What about online retailers?

getting desperate now (but not eBay desperate :p )

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Virgin sell stock as it arrives no preorders so they're a pretty good bet.

Gamestation have filled their preorders and again, are starting to sell stock as it arrives.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

My Girlfriend managed to get me one for Xmas (didn't know I was getting it!) from a local independent toy shop.
    I don't know Manchester at all so don't know if you've got anything like that, but if you have I'd give them a try.

4. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hm, I have two pre-orders (a gamestation which will be filled on their next delivery) and a Currys one waiting.

If either come in before you get one I'd be willing to sell it to you for cost + paypal charges (unless you paid by cheque/cash) and postage. Options there if you want it. I ain't out to make money on this thing (if it coms through soon - I preordered twice and managed to walk in and pick one up off the shelf elsewhere...)

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd be up for that!

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

What a great guy!

Helping out his fellow gamers like that, it brings a tear to my eye. *sniff*

;)

7. LastLine macrumors 65816

Well let's see what happens first. I mean I preordered with gamestation in York, and Currys in Doncaster.

However I managed to walk into Gamestation Doncaster and pick one up due to a tip off from a friend meaning I have two sat on preorder.

The York one came through 2 days before Christmas (or was it three) but couldn't get there in the 72 hour limit because of work so I told them to ring down the list till they found someone buying it for their kid to make someone happy for CHristmas :) Hopefully they did as asked, which put me at the top of the list for the next console batch.

Will update when I know.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doncaster & York :eek: That's some distance apart unless your selby / brayton area ?

9. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hah not many people know the area :) You local? (I think I may have asked that before now I say it...)

But I live iN Doncaster, study in York :) Only 20 minutes by train.

Oh and just in case anyone pops in and worries - I'm market place eligable I just didn't tfeel this worth starting a thread to talk about :)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I'm about 400 (366 according to google earth if travelling in a straight line) miles away is that local ? :D

I know donny though :p

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh MRU has been everywhere. And knows of a semi-obscure band from my little town. :p

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You know it :D

13. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

I've heard that a Toys R Us on the outskirts of Manchester had stock, and that a Tescos in Liverpool had stock and never put it out on display! I'll keep digging for more news :)D

14. Butters macrumors 6502

I work at Argos, and they have some in stock in the Wolverhampton store.
    So it could be likely that other stores (nearer to you) have them too but I wouldn't know for sure.

Cex Stores also have them but they charge a little more.

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

its going to be very difficult, and i have heard differing views. my girlfriend bought one for me as a surprise, but she preordered with argos and game, and the argos one came in first.

virgin megastores, as well as game, told me that supply wont come close to demand untill spring, which is terrible from a consumers perspective. However game said that they get 2 or 3 units in every couple of weeks, so you'd have to be very lucky or in the know to get one.

they did have a couple in wh smith though, which was unexpected, so try less obvious places too.

hope that helps

16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My dad found one in Game (Preston) on 23rd December! It was reserved by the manager of the store, but he was to prepared to sell it if we also bought 5 Wii games (Zelda, Rayman, Super Monkey Ball, Call Of Duty 3 and Red Steel), 2 Wii remotes, a 2GB memory card, a few thousand Wii points, a Wii carry case and a 3rd party GameCube controller! :eek:
    It seems like a lot, but its (mostly) all stuff we would buy at some point.

Currently, I'm looking for Wii Play (with the free remote), 2 nunchuks and a Virtual Console controller.

17. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Gamestation in Widnes has about 10+ WiiMotes with Wii Play, pritty much the same for any gamestation around. as for Nunchucks, good luck :)

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I just found one in Woolworths!!! :D It was probably the last one in Kingston!

19. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

I just picked up the last nunchuk in Woolworths' most easterly UK store today!

Had tried last Thursday, and they had no stock but apparently they get stuff in their daily deliveries and can't tell what they'll get or when.

My girlfriend & I spent ages on the weekend before Christmas trying to track down nunchuk's, Wii remotes, Wii Play - it was fun in that crazy pre-Christmas madness kinda way (our Wii came in on the pre-order at Game, but the box was broken so they put us to the top o the list for the next batch. We still got it before Christmas, but the rest of our pre order stuff got missed off the order. We both really wanted to open it, but then decided that as it was so close to Christmas we'd wait and open it then.)

Managed to find Wii Play @ Argos (really didn't want to shop there after a poor customer service experience, but they were the only place to have 2 in a 40 mile radius) and my local GameStation had remotes (i think the stock for the whole county had ended up there!) and we got a classic controller from Currys.digital.

Really glad we managed to get WiiPlay + an extra remote - Rayman & Wii Sports was really fun over the holiday :D

Oh and LastLine - really great to hear of someone doing something so thoughtful & kind.

20. LastLine macrumors 65816

Well I'm going to give it another 7 days (until I move back to York for the new term) for the Currys one to arrive as I'll not be back in Doncaster for a bit after and need money desperately (£20 makes a lot of difference) but the Gamestation one in York can wait for what it matters :)

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wii Found!!

Just a quick note to say that the Woolworth's store in Brighton has one Wii in stock as of about an hour and a half ago although they closed at six I think so it should still be there tomorrow. They had one of the "take this to the counter to buy this system" dvd boxes which means they have one. Woolworths have been great for having stock of things, they're the only ones that seem to consistently have wiimotes, nunchucks, classic controllers and games in stock.