Wiki or webpage ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRhyknow, Mar 3, 2006.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I am intrested in starting a place to provide informtion for myself to access and possibly my family photos and whatnot for family members, depending on what is available. I know.mac can handle the later however I would like to try something free at first, and I may not really be intrested in the photo/webpage stuff just yet. Will a Wiki provide a place for me to store links and and text well enough? Are there any free wiki's for mac? Should I start a blog instead to record the info...:eek: ? If anyone is doing something like this please give a confused newbie some advise :eek: . Thanks in advance as always!
  2. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    A Wiki could work, but I can't see the advantage over a blog, unless you want other friends/family to edit the info on occasion?

There are many free Wikis you can get - and you don't need to find a Mac-only version, since it will be running on a Web server and not your Mac (even if you ran a web server on your Mac, any Wiki will do, since Apache+PHP+MySQL all run on Macs).

If you google for 'Wiki software' you should be able to find quite a few.

I believe even has some demos you can try.
  3. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I don't have any need, at this point at least, for someone other than me to edit the info. Maybe a Blog would work. Is there something out there for a person who has no idea where tro start, hopefully something with the ease of OS X :) that anyone could recomend.
  4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2004
    You have a few options. Before you do anything, though, you should decide where you want this website to be. Do you have an account with any web host? Are you willing to pay to keep this site up, or would you rather host somewhere for free?

If you're interested in paying for a web host to host the website/blog/wiki, check out some of the threads here on the subject. Here are a few including my own. I personally recommend A Small Orange, or if you think your site will be relatively small, I could host you.

Another option is getting a .mac account and hosting your page there, but this is relatively expensive and won't offer the features of a commercial web host.

As far as software, check out MediaWiki. This is what most of the large wikis use and it is fairly straightforward. Wikipedia uses MediaWiki.

For a blog, I prefer Wordpress. It's extremely easy to use and it'd do just about anything you need it to.

Check out It has a list of various free software projects, including blogs and wikis.

If you'd like help installing or setting up any of the software, I'd be glad to help.
  5. Shahrum macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Honestly, it sounds like you should take a look into That might be your solution! :)