Wiki.. Wait a min... I can change stuff?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Jun 5, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    It seems with the wiki you can just go in and edit articles and what not? Is it monitored what you add or change? I mean it would have to or else it would get really crapped up.. for lack of a better word.. really fast..
  2. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Misinformation is usually fixed within minutes so you can trust (obviously to a point) that what you are looking at is accurate.
  3. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Yes, this is the primary goal of a Wiki (shorthand for what was once called a Wiki Wiki Web :D)

I've seen them in action since 1999 or so, and only recently have they really started to catch on, i.e. Wikipedia, Homestar Wiki.

Personally I think they're still a little clunky, particularly the notions you have to use when linking to a new (or existing) page.

Lots of version management generally behind the scenes, to prevent pranksters from making dire changes (or at least, fixing it quickly).
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    its like the theory of an efficient markets here in the midwest .... the system will self regulate itself
  5. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    yeah i added something to the article about steve jobs and perhaps they thought it was opinion so they deleted within 4 min... :p
  6. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    A study by MIT found that a random curse word inserted into an article is removed with 1.7 minutes on Wikipedia.
  7. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    What did you add?
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    But if I started to make official-sounding statements, full of figures and statistics in a field that most people don't know about, there's no way they could make a correction.

If you search "Coldplay X&Y," Wikipedia will tell you that its Coldplay's 3rd full-length album, and that "Fix You" is the 2nd single from the album. This was given info as early as 3 weeks ago, and yet nobody but the band probably knows this. Hmmm......