Wil Airport Extreme Ever Get Faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman35, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Macman35 macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2006
    It seems like Apple introduced Airport Extreme a long time ago. Any thoughts on whether or not apple has plans to increase the speed from 55? Everytime I open a Best Buy flyer it seems like there are 3 to 4 companies boasting speeds up to 100 Mbs. I have a fiber connection at home and feel like I am not harnessing it full potential.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Those companies are using the "Pre-N" technology that has yet to be fully decided on. I would imagine Apple will release updated Airports once the "N" standard is fully certified.

Edit: 802.11n equipment is supposed to be officially released in mid-2007 and will support a max of 540 Mbit/sec with increased range. I would imagine that's when we can expect Apple to update Airports. Any other enhancements are cheap tricks like caching that provide sketchy real-world results at best.
  3. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2006
    Jonesboro, Arkansas USA

If they do, they probably will introduce it at WWDC. I'll let you know, I'm going :D !!!!!!
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    When it eventuates, it'll probably get a name change. They won't keep the Extreme nomenclature IMO.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Airport Exceptional? Airport Extraordinary? Airport Enormous?
  6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    I doubt that it's going to happen that soon.
    Wishful thinking really....

You lucky pup. Have fun at WWDC. If your a girl, flash Steve for me. ;)
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The trouble with those products that work at 108 Mbps or 125 Mbps is that they don't interoperate. They almost always work with only one brand of products. As far as the pre-N products go, I wouldn't even consider anything like that because, despite the claims, early adopters will probably have to replace everything to get conforming equipment after the standard has been ratified.

As soon as the new standard is available, Apple will support it, and later on, they'll support it well.
  8. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Not necessarily, if you pick the right vendor, it will merely be a firmware update. The problem is there are two conflicting Pre-N hardware standards. Only one will be used.
  9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes, it will. Then it'll be called MacPort Extreme Pro.;)

I think that one reason they didn't start using 108 Mbps is because it is known to cause more interference. Wikipedia Article
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There is a right vendor?

I hate to say this, but we've faced this so many times. Video discs, Video tape, AM Stereo, Stereo t.v., audio discs, and the list goes on forever. It's just as well to wait for the end result and not make an expensive gamble for a few Mbps.
  11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    Sorry for the noobish question- Whats the deal with the letters- the 802.11 wireless went from A, to B, to G, and now N? Any significance to these letters? Any reason why they didn't go from B to C and then to D?
  12. penter macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2006
    totally out of the subject, but i never got why the grades in school go from D to F, and not D to E :confused:
  13. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    My high school gave out E's. Trust me. ;)
  14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    See this page...scroll down to the "Standards" section.
  15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've never noticed why U.S. schools went from D to F or why public schools don't charge.

Certainly, if you got something greater than an A, it wasn't better, as it is with 802.11. :D
  16. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    My only hope with Apple supporting 802.11n is that they make it compatible with current AirPort extreme card slots. I remeber that you couldnt fit an extreme card into a machine that took the old 11M/bits card. I really hope that isnt the case again.
  17. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH

That seems to be the way Apple works with everything and once they do come out with a new APE expect to buy a new Mac unless Apple is smart and makes upgradeable cards...
  18. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    They will sign a contract with Universal and call it "Airport Superman"
  19. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    I would like to point out apple did start using wireless G before it standards where set and the airport extreme was using pre G techologys when it first came out.

I dont know how long they lag behind other companies at doing this but I know they release it a head of time.

Wireless N is starting to appear all over the place. Just figure I point out in the past apple has moved on wireless tech before it was standardizn and now they are one of the only wireless makers that are not using N.
  20. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY

I'd be VERY surprised if you were maxing out even a regular 11 mbps connection.

You'd have pretty much the fastest internet in the world if you could max out a 54 mbps connection.
  21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    A 54 Mbps connection only has about 20 Mbps data throughput. Wired protocols have much less overhead but we still haven't reached anywhere close to the limit for home users.

I noticed today that eWeek is echoing my concerns over buying non-compliant hardware early.
  22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    They will just call it Pro like everything else ;)
  23. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    Is there a chance there will be AirPort and AirPort Pro?:D

I think it will be quite difficult upgrading AP cards in MB(P's) since they're placed in the hinge, and it will require complete disassembly and a detachment of screen part...:(

So far N won't be relevant for me though, since we have 1 mbit internet at home, and though N may have better range, it'd be cheaper to just buy an accesspoint or stronger antenna.:p
  24. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Not true. Sweden has lines with 100Mbps DSL lines. :(

I wonder when us lonely Jacksonvillers get ADSL2+. :\
  25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The next generation should be close, Broadcom and Atheros are conducting compatibility testing for their 802.11n products.

Should be close to kicking the things out the door.

However, 10Gb ethernet has been gathering dust on the shelves -- about time for the Pro line and XServe to get a bump with a set of new Broadcom chips.