Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A seemingly wild rumor of Apple planning to launch new EarPods headphones with integrated heart rate and blood pressure sensors has been making the rounds today after the claim was posted on anonymous information sharing platform Secret (via Reddit).
Apple's new EarPods will have sensors in them, for heart rate & blood pressure. Also iBeacons so they don't get lost. They will require the lightning port, it's why the audio jack was moved to the bottom. [...]

It stores the data in a similar way to thumbprint point data, fully encrypted and nothing identifiable. But nice to send to your doctor to keep track of at which point your blood pressure started rising for example. [...]

Redesigned remote too. Extra mic for better noise canceling.
While a number of major tech stories have in fact broken on Secret, the anonymous nature of the platform makes it all but impossible to separate legitimate claims from fiction without corroborating information from other sources. As a result, it's easy to dismiss this EarPods rumor from someone claiming to have recently been let go from Apple.

But what makes the rumor a bit more interesting is that it has roots in Apple's research as documented in patent applications dating back years. Whether the Secret rumor is a fake inspired by those patent filings or if there actually is something to it is unknown, but it's worth taking another look at what Apple has proposed.

In one patent application filed in March 2007 and claiming a priority date of September 2006, Apple proposes using sensors integrated into various accessories or even devices themselves to collect physiological data.
The present invention can include systems and methods for integrating sensors for tracking a user's performance metrics into electronic devices and accessories therefor. In one embodiment of the present invention, the electronic devices can include portable media devices similar to iPods sold by Apple Inc. of Cupertino, Calif. or cellular telephones similar to iPhones designed by Apple Inc.

In one embodiment, the present invention can include headsets having one or more integrated physiological sensors. The headsets can be, for example, headphones for receiving audio signals from a media device or headsets for communication with cellular telephones. The sensor signals can be transmitted to a data repository through the same communication channel through which audio signals are transmitted to the headset (e.g., hard-wired or wireless).
apple_headphone_sensors.jpg
Apple's concepts for sensor clipped onto earlobe (left) to monitor pulse/oxygen levels or adhered to the skin (right)
Alternatively, Apple proposes using sensors embedded in an iPod or iPhone "sling" armband to monitor such data. Notably, two of the inventors listed on the patent filing are longtime accessories head Jesse Dorogusker, who moved to Square in 2012, and "father of the iPod" Tony Fadell, who left Apple in 2008 before starting Nest.

A second filing, which was granted as a patent this February, more directly addresses headphone-based physiological monitoring, although the application is also quite old, having been filed in August 2008 with an October 2007 priority date.
The invention pertains to a monitoring system that can be placed proximate to the head or ear of a user. According to one embodiment, the monitoring system can be used with a hearing device, headphones, earbuds or headsets. The monitoring system can, for example, be used to monitor user activity, such as during exercise or sporting activities. The positioning of the monitoring system can also facilitate sensing of other user characteristics (e.g., biometric data), such as temperature, perspiration and heart rate.

Advantageously, the invention can provide monitoring capabilities within a hearing device. Assuming the user is otherwise using the hearing device, such as to provide audio output by a portable media player, the user gains monitoring capabilities without requiring the user to wear or carry an additional article.
apple_headphone_sensors_2.jpg
Apple's concepts for sensors integrated directly into earpiece (left) or in a separate housing (right)
Biometrics have been rumored to be a significant part of iOS 8, with a new "Healthbook" app for tracking various types of health-related information being a key addition to Apple's mobile operating system. With Apple also rumored to be deploying biometric sensors in an upcoming iWatch, it's clear that the company has been looking at ways of collecting health-related data for many years and the effort may finally be coming together.

Article Link: Wild Rumor of Apple EarPods with Biometric Sensors Has Roots in Apple's Research

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If true, those headphones better be comfortable. Also, if headphones do in fact end up using the lightning port, then, that just means the replacement headphones will be expensive.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So new earpods would use lightning port instead of headphone jack?

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
I use my EarPods in the gym/running because they stay in your ears and sound good. With these added features, my EarPods will become everyone's go-to fitness earphones.

----------

Yes. No one charges their phone when doing any sort of fitness anyways so it won't make a difference for most.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Great idea. But very specific to when you're working out.

What about when you're not?

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Nonsense, for several medical reasons.
Not least of which is you can't measure blood pressure in your ear.

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
"Yes. No one charges their phone when doing any sort of fitness anyways so it won't make a difference for most."

But many people listen to their music whilst charging their device e.g. when studying in the library - I have done this countless amount of times. If such a thing happens, it'd be a stupid move by Apple. However Apple would not make such a move as they may just be able to do this through the headphone jack by embedding such technologies into the port.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes. No one charges their phone when doing any sort of fitness anyways so it won't make a difference for most.

I wasn't knocking the idea; I don't use earpods but I do use a 3rd party accessory with my headphones that uses lightning port, not headphone jack. So for me it would be no change.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I wasn't knocking the idea; I don't use earpods but I do use a 3rd party accessory with my headphones that uses lightning port, not headphone jack. So for me it would be no change.

Interesting, what accessory is that?

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

Fitness aside, what about those that charge their iPhone while they are at the office and charging or syncing their iPhone? Does this mean then we will have 2 lightning ports?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
They will require the lightning port, it's why the audio jack was moved to the bottom.
The Secret rumour claims the earpods need the Lightning port which was why the headphone jack was moved to the bottom. That makes it sound like it'll use both the lightning port for data and the headphone port for audio. If they used the lightning port only instead of the headphone port, then they wouldn't need to move the headphone port. It could mean an ugly split connector at the end of the earpods though.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Something the current EarPods are not.

Such a tough product to get right for all. I hated the original earbuds but like the new earPods so much that I have some at home, at work, and in my vehicle.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
This may also be part of the Hearing Aids for iPhone program. This allows for the hearing aids to also function like ear buds and music, phone calls, the Navigation Nazi can all beam wirelessly into your ear. Might as well add other sensors to them while they are there.

Apple could completely take over the hearing aid industry if they wanted to actually sell the aids themselves, bypassing existing manufacturers. Only something like 5% of hearing impaired people actually have those awesomely overpriced hearing aids.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
So if it goes though lighting - where can it go on a watch as it be too big? It can't go on the sides as it dig into you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.