Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
well just thought i would share my experience today. i transformer blew at a power grid that is near my subdivison today. next thing i know i'm watering the house and lawn and getting stuff together to evacuate. it got kind of scary preparing for the worse all day today. the fire has subsided and everything looks okay. for all macrumor members in texas and oklahoma start your rain dance, cause i know i will be.

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
And on the other hand....

Watching the Tournament of Roses Parade this morning....

Very soggy.....

And just about the time where I say to myself (sitting here in Los Angeles watching the rain outside my place...getting ready to run out for some errands...), "Heck...it's just a LITTLE rain....... folks in Seattle face this nearly every day!"..... they break in with the EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM about a flash flood watch in Los Angeles. :eek:

(Hmm...maybe today is a better day to do stuff around the house....)

Happy New Year! :D

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Watering your house? Sounds bizzare.
Anyway home much water do you use, I'm assuming this is a precautionary to stop your house catching on fire. Does this actually have much effect as apposed to a non watered house. Just seems that a large fire would probably cause enough heat for the water to quickly evaporate and house burns anyway. Or is it really useful?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
As bizarre as it sounds, watering the house can help quite significantly. Bush fires are notorious for their haphazard jumping around. They'll burn three houses, skip the next two, it's one of their scarier aspects. Watering the house increases the chances of your house getting skipped. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Would a moat help? Clear cutting trees around the house and building a wall of sprinklers could possible prevent future forest fires occurring on the front lines.

I hear there's also wildfires in Sydney, Australia.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A moat would help in theory but you can't get a good moat these days without also getting a dragon. The dragon factor usually offsets the moat because no matter how many times you place it on the opposite side of your moat, it just keeps flying back over and burning the house down again and again. :(

I hope the wildfires (or bushfires as we call them) don't get my Sydney home. It should be fine.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
you know whats ironic here in texas? there is a burn ban, but all the fireworks stands have lines out of the wazzoo.

now i know there are legitimate reasons why this doesn't matter. but for the sake of safety and the quality of life of those who are in the line of fire (literally) it warrants more consideration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.