Will 10.4.x get cheaper - somewhere?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MegaSignal, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Now that Apple will being announcing Leopard soon, will there be any hope in purchasing a copy of Tiger at a reduced rate anywhere? (I have a G5 which needs the unpgrade...)

TIA

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Maybe eBay, but in retail outlets Tiger will be the price it was released at until the minute it is replaced.

3. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Appreciate the reply.

Here's hoping (would like to use my new Mighty Mouse Bluetooth with my G5!)

Cheers!

4. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

You can get Tiger for $69 with the educational discount... probably the cheapest you'll find it.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Holey cow, that is so cheap. But, is it an upgrade? I mean, for Windows, for 99.99 you get the "Upgrade" version, which is really dumb. See, the thing is, I bought an OEM windows machine, and I have since upgraded everything about it, to the point where the only hardware from the older machine still in mine is the hard drive and some ram. But, Windows is the same, and it bugs me. It doesn't give you a choice of what you want to install. So, when I start up, I have AOL, BigFix, Napster, a whole lotta BS. So, that is why I want to get a "clean" un oem version of windows, and that costs, for the non upgrade version, 199.99. When I saw the price for OSX, I thot it looked very attractive. So, the price where it is now is awesome.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is no such thing as an upgrade version of OS X, every version is the full version. Unless it comes with the computer, then it is tied to that computer.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not entirely true; Apple doesn't generally sell "upgrade" versions, but the Up To Date copies they "give away" (not quite) are upgrade copies--they refuse to install unless you have the previous version installed. I was once stuck in a situation where I had upgrade versions of 10.1 and 10.2, so to install I literally needed to install 10.0, then upgrade it to 10.1, then to 10.2. But that was sort of a fluke.

8. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

In fact, after checking some things out. Almost all versions are upgrade. Well, for the Intel versions at least. The thing is, they don't want to sell the normal version of the intel software, becuase people can simply install it on their machines, ie pcs. Now, I'm not 100% true on this, but it is mostly true. But I'm not sure about the IBM proc versions.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What? Apple doesn't sell 10.4 for Intel because any Intel machine already ships with 10.4....

10. Tourist macrumors member

BZZZT: nope, trying to install OSX will fail on any non apple PC, not sure if there are any underground projects to attempt this, but if it happened Steve's lawyers would be fairly close behind.

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am sure tiger discounts will start after Christmas.