Will 2gb of Ram Make a Huge Difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by berkleeboy210, Aug 9, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

Ok guys,

I just bought 2gigs of ram for my 15" PB and another 2gigs of ram for my powermac g5 online through macsales.

Will I notice a huge difference in speed once I do this?

I'll be maxing out the powerbook, and the g5 will have a total of 2.5gigs.

2. macrumors 65816

me_94501

Hoe big a difference you notice will depend largely on what you are doing. If you're doing heavy graphics/video/audio work, you'll really notice it. If all you're doing is using your Mac as a glorified typewriter, the extra RAM has less of an impact.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

i'm using Garageband, Logic Express, final cut express, Finale, and Reason.

Those are just some of the music/video apps i work with. I shouldn't notice any lag w/ that amount of ram should i?

4. macrumors 6502

Running Final Cut Pro on my PowerBook is painful! I guess it's because I tend to work with super-high resolution video (I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just work on the "bigger is better" principle).

GarageBand runs flawlessly... but that's not really saying much.

I'm yet to max out Logic. I use a lot of software samplers when I'm working on orchestral compositions and I've never noticed any slowdown.

I didn't find that adding RAM made my PowerBook any faster. It did, however, make it seem a lot smoother. But I guess speed is a matter of interpretation.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of the knowledge that I can't add any more RAM :eek:... which, sadly enough, is worth investing in that second GB.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the Replies.

Maybe I should just get a gig for my PB, and then get more for the G5?

6. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wait... you actually have super-high resolution source material, or you just throw DV into HD timelines? :eek: :confused:

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

A little off topic, Sorry. But once I was doing some editing in iMovie HD, and after i imported my video. It said it was "Pillaring?". It took forever. Can someone clarify on what Pillaring means.

thanks.