Will 320GB IDE HDD work in 5.25 USB to IDE external case?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ImNoSuperMan, Nov 27, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I have an external 5.25 USB to IDE Case (which I used for a DVD drive earlier). It`s something like this. Now I was interested in getting a 320GB Seagate IDE HDD and use it in that case. But the dealer told me that external cases dont work well with drives bigger than 200 GB. I checked the net but i didnt find any size limitation for the HDD to be used in such cases. I dont want to be stuck with a drive I cant use.

Can someone confirm this please.Thanx.

2. deebster macrumors 6502

It ought to work OK if the case is not too old and doesn't have a maximum supported drive size (that I think is around the 300GB mark).

But it probably won't be able to boot up your Mac via USB 2.0. I say probably because the new Intel Macs may be USB bootable. Pre-Intel ones certainly aren't.

I would look at getting a firewire box for the HD. They're not expensive and it will be a bit better looking than a 3.5" HD rattling around inside a 5.25" box.

3. Viremia macrumors regular

I have a 400GB drive in an external case and it works fine. However, as said above, it's up to the external case's firmware. You should check with the manufacturer.

4. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Thanx a lot deebster, Viremia for clearing it up for me. I m going to buy the 320Gb HDD now. If it works in the existing box then great, otherwise I`ll get a new one. I was just worried if that hdd would not work even in a new box, I`ll be stuck with it. BTW I already have a 120GB 2.5" external HDD for the MB. This 320 GB will just be lying hidden beneath my desk so I dont really care how good/bad it looks. Anyways thanx again.