Will 4 x 4 Evo 2 work on a G3 500 Pismo PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Moo-Boo, May 7, 2004.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

G'day there,

I have a slight quandry at the moment...I am looking to buy a Pismo PowerBook, 500mhz, but I'm not sure the 8mb graphics card is up to the job. I tried using the game on my iMac 266, but, it froze up. Surprise, surprise. Right now, I'm using OS 10.3.3, and it is very nice, but also, very processor and RAM hungry. Yet I really don't want to have to swap over to OS 9 every time I wish to play. So...will 4 x 4 Evo 2 work on a Pismo PowerBook with OS 10.3.3? I would be very grateful for your wisdom and sage advice!

Thanks for reading and replying,

Matt

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Duuuude...

Look up the game online, read the system requirements. Simple as that.

3. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

My dear friend,

Yes, I did as you suggested a couple of weeks back, and yes, the specs will allow for the PowerBook, but I'm worried that the gaming experience will be that slow as to be painful. I did an experiment with the demo of the original 4 x 4 Evo on my iMac 266, which could cope with the game, but it was slow and blocky...so much pixelation! For me, 4 x 4 Evo 2 is the most enjoyable game I've ever played on the Mac (I played it on a friend's 600mhz iMac). I wish they'd port over Need for Speed 4, but I'm yet to hear of any development.

As for the PowerBook, it is a beautiful machine, certainly powerful, durable and expandable enough to cater for all my needs...apart from perhaps 4 x 4 Evo 2. Thus is my quandry.

Thanks for the advice though...I'm hoping you're right!

Matt

4. Swiftstorm macrumors newbie

I have 4x4 EVO 2 on my dual 450 G4 and it works alright. I have a 32MB Radeon 7000 card in my comp and plenty of ram 896MB, but it played slower than I was hoping for.

I'm saying that you won't be very impressed by it on your G3 500.

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I tried playing it on my old 500mhz TiBook, which I used to have, when it first came out and it was not that much fun, the game is great, the machine just didn't handle it that well. I don't think you'll enjoy playing it on that machine very much

6. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Update on situation!

To those of you who replied to me with your insightful replies, I thank you very much. If there's one thing I have learnt to love about the Mac community, it's that they always have time for their fellow colleagues, and are generous with their time. I am thinking that the majority of you are right...it won't run all that well on the Pismo, but it should still be enjoyable.

Anyhow, my fate was sealed today...I got a good deal on the Pismo, so it's coming next week. It should be faster and better than the first generation 500mhz white iBook I had...though it ran the 4 x 4 Evo quite nicely, albeit in OS 9.1. I have always lusted after the PowerBook G3 500 ever since it came out, and now I have the cash to get one. A new generation iBook can wait for a while. There'll be plenty of them at a much nicer price next year. And yes, I know, I'm a cheapskate!

I will also let you know how the PowerBook deals with 4 x 4 Evo 2 hopefully sometime next week.

Take good care of yourselves until then,

Matt