Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Is there enough interesting and new stuff to be released at WWDC 2006 this week to cause a topple of the MR user online record currently at 5890? What's your prediction?

Attachments

• crystalball.gif
    crystalball.gif
    50 KB · Views: 94

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
the user online record is probably artificially low since the server ends up crashing when it gets that high.

This time we have more resources, but I don't know if it will be enough.

arn

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Not that it would make much difference, but I wonder if this might have been more correctly asked in the Site and Forum Feedback section?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Assuming the server doesn't crash, the record will be beaten tomorrow.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
ham_man said:
Assuming the server doesn't crash, the record will be beaten tomorrow.
Car to venture a numbered guess? As Arn mentioned, they're better armed for incoming this time. Still it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
11:45 ET - and it's at 1845, already. Interesting, 'tars have been temporarily disabled in anticipation of incoming. Navigating around seems smooth though.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
xsedrinam said:
Will 5890 MR User Record Stand?
Simply? No.

Apple is gaining traction in the mindshare of the up-and-coming age of kids, and the general public alike. Interest in these matters will lead them to converge on MR on an event day (+/- 2 days).

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
First session over: I can hear the rumbling sound of incoming. Catch ya' later.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It might be helpful to have a link to the MR forums from macrumorslive.com? After the keynote is over, there was a window of time where macrumorslive.com was still up, most people left.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
spicyapple said:
It might be helpful to have a link to the MR forums from macrumorslive.com? After the keynote is over, there was a window of time where macrumorslive.com was still up, most people left.

That's intentional actually - the number of users on MacRumorsLive is an order of magitude above what the forums can realistically cope with [at the moment]. A link to the forums was given soon after the keynote finished in January and the forums didn't recover for several hours.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I plan on having children at some stage. On that day, I expect them all to join MacRumors and start posting. Hopefully this won't see the demise of MacRumors.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
mad jew said:
I plan on having children at some stage. On that day, I expect them all to join MacRumors and start posting. Hopefully this won't see the demise of MacRumors.
Aww... I can't wait to see all the little mad-jewligans runnin' around this place!

Back on-topic, I'm anxiously awaiting the stats from this year's MRLive "broadcast". Was the threshold reached? How high did we go?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Currently at 3129 on board and it's just 6:46 on the West Coast. Maybe today is the day to top 5890?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The record will stand because this media event just isn't interesting enough to warrant any more attention than it's getting.

If the rumour sites ALL reported that they were releasing new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro form factors, an Apple TiVo type device, and true video iPod, and some other things at WWSF 2007 or whatever, then I'd believe that record would be shattered.

The only reason it might be broken is because there are more members and more Mac users than before.

mad jew said:

No, it'll only be the demise of quality on this board. :p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
arn said:
This time we have more resources, but I don't know if it will be enough.

Captain, I cannae hold it much longer!
I cannae push her any further or she'll explode!

scotty.jpg

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Nope, looks like it'll take a bigger event. 3619 was the highest (I saw) at rush hour about 45-50 minutes ago.

Attachments

• 3619.gif
    3619.gif
    169.2 KB · Views: 69

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
So will it be MWSF 07. If the rumors confirm a true Video iPod and an iPhone along with Leopard and MBP redesign to be announced on MWSF, it`ll definitely beat that 5890 mark:D . And by miiiiiiiiiiles too.:D

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
We peaked about 4,500 prior to the event. We usually avoid linking to the forums immediately afterwards so we probably waited a bit too long this time. I have been making some changes to the servers & code to allow for far greater numbers of users - hence the lack of any busy messages (for the majority of the time at least) this event. Next time I think we'll be a bit braver :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.