Will a 12" PB be powerful enough for me

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Anthony8720, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

I am wondering if a 12" PB will be powerful enough to suit my needs. I was going to get a 15" but i'm not now because of the horizontal line issue and waiting is not an option. This will be my first mac so im not really familiar with the hardware or the os. My primary use for it will be music, work(ms office), and running software such as Starry Night Pro. I want to use it to control my telescope and edit home movies (me and my buds doing stupid stuff). I would also like to use it for some light photo editing. I am also really interested in making my own dvd's (with menus and stuff). I am also a little concerned about the upgradeability of the 12", the lack of a pc card slot scaires me a little. I guess I would just like some opinions based on what i will use it for, any information will be greatly appreciated!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get the 15"
    Firewire 800, larger and better screen for DVD / movie projects, faster CPU, less expensive RAM and more of it installable, larger screen for applications (including music production) Didn't hear that you value the portability aspect.

3. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

I second the 15".

1024x768 speaks for itself!

4. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i am very interested in portability since I will be outside using the telescope. Plus I work at a university with hot spots everywhere and would like to be able to carry the pb around for time killing type stuff.

5. themacman macrumors 6502

i have the 15'' and no issues at all. get teh 15

6. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

You'll lose tons of screen space going with the 12 in instead of the 15. And you'll only save half a pound in weight. Not worth it IMRO. (in my revered opinion.)

7. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Get the 15". I have no problem carrying around my 15" Pbook in my bag and if it's the only thing in there, I sometimes don't even notice it.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

What the above posters said.

Get as much power as you can afford. 15" isn't that much less portable than 12", and you get a lot more for the extra three inches.

9. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just curious, do any of you have the hi res 15" and not have any issues. I'm almost contemplating getting the previous 15" model. It just sucks because i dont think i can get a refurb now with a superdrive.

10. jfive macrumors newbie

12" PB works fine (speaking up for the little guy)

I noticed that all the replies here were from 15 owners. I have the 12" and love it. Indeed, it has less features, but in tight quarters, as on an airplane or in a car, the 12 is far more portable and practical. I've used the 15 extensively as well, but when it came time for me to make the plunge last month, felt the 12 was more suited for me. I have a home mac too, but willl retire that soon, since I'm getting accustomed with having a wireless laptop. We all have our biases and this is mine. I use it for FCP, iphoto, email and web surfing. It also runs external monitors. I spent many hours playing around with it at the Apple store prior to making my decision.

You might also look at the ibook. It has most of what you need and costs 33% less. Hope that helps.

11. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

The replies were not all from 15" owners. I'm a 12" PB owner (Rev. A) and the screen resolution annoys me. For that reason alone, I recommend the 15" PB.

However, OTHERWISE I am completely happy with my 12" PB. It's the ultimate in portability, gets stares from everyone and is at a decent price.

12. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Tons of these are for sale every day on ebay...you just need to be careful about who you are buying it from, make sure they have applecare or are still under warranty+still have the original receipt (so you can purchase applecare yourself)

I have a 15", which I LOVE...however, I would really wait to see what happens in Jan. with the announcement

13. Kace macrumors regular

if you need portability, get the 15".
    why? plenty of reasons have already been cited.
    12" is highly portable, but considering its your first mac you wont get the full mac experience unless you get something thats half decent for its price.
    wait till 9th jan (or is it the 10th?) if possible. you probaly wont regret it.

14. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice everyone. I will be going to the apple store tomorrow. I am going to go ahead and get the 15", with 1G of ram and my student discount (graduating soon so i should use it) it will come out to $1899. Not a bad deal. Again, thanks everyone.

15. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

16. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Dont get the RAM from Apple! It's WAY overpriced. Buy it from crucial or newegg.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have a new 15" PB and don't have any issues w/ the screen.

I have no doubt that it has the "horizontal line" issue, but it's my first PowerBook (so I have no other Apple LCD to compare it to), and I'm used to spending 8+ hours a day using a IBM ThinkPad screen, and .. I just don't see anything wrong with it.

Simply my personal opinion. I do respect others who can't stand the new 15" PB screens. :)

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Plus, won't the backlighted keyboard on the 15" be helpful in this situation? :D

19. Morn macrumors 6502

I advise a 17" or an older model 15" from ebay. Avoiding the scan line issue would be wise.

20. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

man all of you people who complain about the weight of the 17" really need to go the gym!!! its like .9 (or somthing) pounds heavier. plus it looks so much better than the 15" and the 12". 17"pb is awesome had mine for 2 years now not a single problem. :D

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

For me, it's the SIZE (not the weight) of the 17" that would make it a huge PITA to lug around. :cool:

22. Daeman macrumors newbie

12" crusader :p

hey i know u went for the 15" which i have no doubt is the best decision for you. i switched a few weeks ago and its been awesome :) computing is a pleasure. lol i went for the 12" and find it perfect. i link it up to an external monitor and then use it alot round campus and in presentations. for me, i couldnt justify the pirce jump between the two. have fun with the PB :)
    Lj

23. generik macrumors 601

generik

24. Megatron macrumors regular

I'd have to agree that the 1024 x 768 isn't cutting it if it's your primary computer. The portability is really nice, but I would really like a bigger screen, and with an ibook, we don't have that option. I'd say go for the 15" powerbook.

25. Morn macrumors 6502