Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Samsung is having great success with their phablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/01/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-3-million/

Just over a month removed from launching its latest phablet, Samsung is reporting the Galaxy Note II has already racked up sales of 3 million units. The 5.5-inch stylus-enabled smartphone is selling at more than three times the rate of the original Note, a figure which probably won't be hurt by rolling out on multiple carriers including Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and US Cellular in the US. This supersized device can't quite match the mainstream appeal of Samsung's own Galaxy S III -- which cracked 20 million just 100 days after its debut -- but it should quickly surpass its predecessor, last seen cresting the 10 million mark back in August.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
And Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5's in the first weekend (compared to 3 million notes in over a month)..so..sounds like people are liking the 4 inch screen..

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
And Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5's in the first weekend (compared to 3 million notes in over a month)..so..sounds like people are liking the 4 inch screen..

5 million in the first 24 hours of the device being available for preorder sir

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I'd love a bigger screen. This coming from someone who had original, ip4 and now 5. Would love bigger screen and widgets

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Will a 5.5" iPhone happen one day?

I hope not. I genuinely don't understand who needs or even feels comfortable with a screen that big.

Regardless of whether or not people want or need a phone that size, the answer to your question is: nobody knows.

You don't know, I don't know, the people running MacRumors don't know, and even the people running Apple don't know. Apple may be working on a phone that size...but they may also be working on a triangular iPhone and a paper-thin, see-through one. Will products like those ever become a reality? Nobody knows.

If you're curious as to whether or not this forum community would like to see a 5.5" iPhone, then that's an entirely different question that I'm guessing would be of interest for some (maybe many) people to discuss.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
I hope not. I genuinely don't understand who needs or even feels comfortable with a screen that big.

There is clearly a market for it. Weather you understand why or not is besides the point, but to help you, how about people with eyesight problems, or people who prefer a stylus? The Note proves exactly what we all already know, there is no "one size fits all" in any market. Everyone has different tastes and needs, be it music, cars, phones or hairdryers.

Now, is the market big enough to interest Apple? I doubt it. But then again, the small tablet market was of no interest to Apple a couple of years ago, so who knows.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I'd love one. I still hate this small screen. It's one of the only thing I miss from the gnex. Screen, NFC and widgets.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Love my Note but I'd rather have an iOS 5"+ device.

Apple made a mistake in not going 1280x720 with the 5,
Now if they do a larger phone it has a lower dpi than all the Android 720p phones.

I think will see one in the next year, they are missing so many sales with only that narrow screen version.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

The more choices the better I say. Look at Android dominating with 75% market share for Q3.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-scores-75-of-market-share-in-q3-says-research-firm-idc-01255280/

android-market-share-idc-q3-2012.png

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
i think it's pretty funny that windows phone is still getting smoked by blackberry and symbian lmao

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
As long as they still offer a 4.3" or less I have no problem with that. Choice is good.... But it would suck if they release one new iPhone with such a ridiculous size like the note, I would be royally pissed.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I remember the panic, whining and freaking out of Apple people, at just suggesting a 4" screen on the iPhone. Now you here them picking up their old 4S and now calling it a "stubby brick":eek:

I say give us a 5" phone and make it W I D E R !!!:p

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The more choices the better I say. Look at Android dominating with 75% market share for Q3.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-scores-75-of-market-share-in-q3-says-research-firm-idc-01255280/

You should know by now that Apple doesn't play the marketshare game with phones as marketshare does not equal profit and they are still easily making the most profit in the smartphone arena. That's all they care about. Also notice that Apples marketshare continues to increase as well. Android is gaining marketshare at the expense of the other OS not Apple.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It should have happened already. iPhone should have had a massive screen and iPhone mini should have debuted. Similar to what Samsung did with the galaxy S3 mini except they don't know what they're doing. The iPhone 4 is the perfect size for those who want a smaller phone. One large, one mini - that's the way to go right now and they can see the success with the iPad market. The iPhone 5 screen size is an anamoly, they're a sitting duck if Samsung can capitalize. It's going to take a bold move but I would do iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen and debut a thin/light iPhone 4 style screen 4 months later.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
I hope to God that Apple doesn't make a 5.5" screen. That Galaxy Note II looks disgusting, get a damn tablet, the phone is WAY too big. 4 inches is perfect, if Apple really wanted to, 4.5" should be the MAX, that's it.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I really hope they don't any bigger with the screen and the phone size. The iPhone 5 I feel is the perfect size. Not to big, not to small. A phone needs to be a phone and serve that purpose. Of you want something bigger you have the option of the iPad or iPad mini.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Samsung is having great success with their phablet.
"Company X is doing 123 with success, is Company Y also going to do 123?" is typical industry armchair analysis on any discussion forum site.

Why should Apple copy Samsung? Simply stating that something worked for another company is not sufficient reason in and of itself. Dig deeper. Does it match Apple's strategy? Is it a good fit for their market niche? Do enough of their customers indicate sufficient demand? There are certainly many other questions to ask and points to consider.

If all the analysis you can provide is "It worked for X" then keep your day job and leave the analysis to the pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.