Will a disk image work for games that require CD?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesatzones, Oct 11, 2003.

1. jamesatzones macrumors regular

I want to know of a way to make a disk image so I don't have to load my unreal CD everytime I play, the G5 superdrive is rather loud... Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

2. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

i've tried it with star craft and warcraft 3, and they don't work like that.

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I don't know if it would work, but wouldn't that take up a lot of hard drive space for a rather small inconvenience? Perhaps there are no-CD cracks for it. Have you checked LimeWire or mLMac? I was able to find them for "The Sims" and "SimCity 4". Anyhow, best of luck.

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Diablo2

Worked for me on Diablo 2. I made a DVD/CDR master image. I think that makes an exact bit for bit copy. NOT SURE. Well anyways work from me.

5. jamesatzones thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Diablo2

Tried the DVD/CDR master image, didn't work. There has got to be a way, I remember seeing somewhere in a Mac mag about this but now that I have the storage to do it I can't find the tip...

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

some do, some don't. things to remember, if the game will allow it, is that you need to a) have the image named the exact same thing as the CD, and b) have the image mounted, which is a step most people forget.

the reason so many don't, is because it's more of a pain in the ass to pirate a game if you need to burn a CD... i can't stand this logic, as i do not want my drive to have to be used! it's extra wear on the drive... and i don't want to worry about swapping CDs, or keeping them handy. why don't games just let you do full installs, for people that have plenty of HD space for them...

pnw

7. jamesatzones thread starter macrumors regular

I have the image mounted and named the exact same as the CD, but I did notice that the CD icon is just the drive icon, not the same. Wonder if that makes any difference. The G5 rocks, the super drive can be rather loud though. I like to switch games frequently if I get bored or pissed at the game, having to keep the CD's out is just a pain. Thanks for the help...