Will a G4 Powermac be powerfull enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Johnpartridge, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Johnpartridge macrumors regular

Hi, im currently using a Ibook G4 and use a AMD DURON 2000xp for webdesign and print media work.

I am looking to totally move over to mac but i am unsure if a G4 powermac would be powerfull enough (not having used one before)

I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks , Illustrator , Flash.

If i am going to get a powermac what spec G4 should i get?

I know someone will be able to help :)

John Partridge

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

what's your price range for the PowerMac ?? :confused:

3. Johnpartridge thread starter macrumors regular

Ooops , should have said that, silly me

Up to about £600 at the moment (still havent been paid for a job i did)

But please state what the lowest price i could spend and spec to be able to run my apps effectively

John Partridge

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

anything 800mhz G4 but if you want a Good system with a G4 then dual 1Ghz above would ideal :eek: :cool:

www.ebay.co.uk is your friend

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Why not consider a dual 1.0 GHz MDD model for that kind of money?

Edit: great minds think alike. :cool:

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Should be able to get a decent one from eBay for that.

of course refurbished G5 Powermacs are going for £1000 for a Dual Core 2Ghz, just out of intrest.

Either way - lots of RAM will do you good.

7. Johnpartridge thread starter macrumors regular

ok... could someone tell me what roughly a 800mhz and 1ghz powermac would run like compaired to my ibook, and my AMD?

Cheers guys (and gals ;) )

Yer i was going to use ebay.co.uk to make my purchase.

John Partridge

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The 1Ghz system will allow you to use that system longer (years) before upgrading again to intel etc .. :eek:

1Ghz will be closer to speed to ibook ..

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Going by US pricing you should be able to get a Single 1.8 G5 off ebay used for under 600 pounds(sorry on PC now so I can't just hit the pound symbol like on my Macs). Then put in at least 1GB of RAM and you should be good to go. Dual processor G4's over 1Ghz on ebay are way over priced considering the cost of a used G5. Here's one to watch right now. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Mac-G5-...8777723073QQcategoryZ4607QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Single 1.8 G5, 1.5GB RAM and 2x160GB hard drives. If you have the money right now I say this would work great for you.

Then get a dual layer DVD burner (for backup) from some discount web wholesaler in the UK. I use newegg.com but they don't appear to have a UK site. An NEC or sony drive should be around 40 US dollars.

edit: as to your last post JohnPartridge, "ok... could someone tell me what roughly a 800mhz and 1ghz powermac would run like compaired to my ibook, and my AMD?". This G5 would blow both of those systems out of the water.

10. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

yeah, if you can, definitly go with that mac above ^. absolutely the best bang for your buck.

11. Johnpartridge thread starter macrumors regular

A credit to you man , all the information and help you gave in that short paragraph, if only there were more people in the world like you.

Sadly i dont think that G5 on ebay is going to sell for £360 :p

Single G5 is the way im going to go, thanks velocityg4 :)

John Partridge

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go for an iMac G4 or an old iMac G5 if you can afford it. If you're not looking to upgrade it and don't already have a monitor. I just bought an iMac G4 800 MHz off of another user on Mac Rumors for US$400 shipped.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Your welcome. Sometimes you can get a slightly lower price on items ending at odd hours like 5:00 AM on a Sunday. So who knows maybe you can get around 50 Pounds off the resale on a G5, if you are a patient night owl.

14. Johnpartridge thread starter macrumors regular

What do you recon the current resale value of a G5 Single core 1.8 is?

John Partridge

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just track the one I linked to earlier to get an idea. I tracked one two weeks ago that went for $790 US or 457.81 pounds. That one was only 256 ram and a single 80GB hard drive though. You should be able to get a decently speced one for under 600 pounds. If you want the best deal track several similar auctions. Then note when they ended and their ad layout and the final ending price. By doing this you can then tell based on ending days, times and ad layout what machine you will get the best deal on.

When I purchase on ebay I do this and often save 10-15% because they, the seller, chose a bad ending day/time and made a rather poor ad layout. I also do this when selling and get a higher price. Like an ibook I sold last year was generally going for $425 on auctions I tracked, but some went for $500 I took note of their layout and ending times and got over $500 for mine (these were all the same specs).

Just look at these two the 1.8 went for less than the 1.6 even though their other specs were rather close.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5867493814&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5870581748&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1