Will a MacBook Pro run cubase LE?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by into the white, Jan 15, 2006.

1. into the white macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2006
    A few months ago I bought a PreSonus Firebox for home recording. It came bundled with a limited version of cubase, which I use as my primary audio recording program. Currently I'm running it on a 2.7 GHz Compaq pc with a Celeron processor. I've recently been looking into buying a Mac, particularly a laptop. From what I've read, the powerbook is really the only laptop powerful enough to do real home studio work on, and the MacBook Pro definitely looks like a step up. I definitely want a laptop over a pc, because the portability is a huge factor. Most of my recording of drums and pianos would be done at locations other than my house, so being able to easily transport my setup would be a big plus.

I look around on this forum and see lots of posts about what will and will not run on the new intel macs. Will the software I have run on it? Will the MacBook Pro be strong enough for recording? I don't want to buy new software and I don't want to buy the macbook pro if it won't be good for recording. But if it will run the version of Cubase I have and will run it well then I am very interested in buying one. Thanks!
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    if its a PC app then NO (im pretty sure it wont)

BUT if you get a macbook pro then you will be able to put vista on it (or maybe even xp once a patch is released) so then it would run natively - im sure either garageband or logic express could do whatever you want it too anyway and are probably much better apps
  3. into the white thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2006
    It runs on Windows and OSX. But the compatibility on the site is talking about powerpc processors, so I still don't know about the intel thing.
  4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    My iBook 1.33ghz with 1.5GB of ram ran cubase LE fine.... until I stopped using it. It was useless to me, only let you record 4 tracks at a time. I use garage band now just fine. Considering upgrading to Logic express though.

I sold my iBook and I am about to place an order on a new Macbook, can't wait till they ship so I can start recording again.
  5. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    You are going to be waiting for the audio recording apps to make it over to the MacBook for a while. I expect Cubase to be fairly quick in the transition, but the basic version that you have is well, basic, although i like cubase much more than Logic. It is just a matter of preference. As far as other audio recording apps, forget Pro Tools for a while on your MacBook, as Digi is notoriously slow with transitions. So Garageband might be your best option out of the box, but i would upgrade software later as more becomes available for the MacBook.

The MacBook should be good enough for recording (no reason for it not to be). But you can probably rule out using your cubase program running through rosetta to do recording.
  6. robotalikehot macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2007

i have a regular macbook not a pro.
    but i could only assume it would work as well. and mine works with cubase fantastic. i up graded to 2 gs of ram and an external (7200rpm) and i started with le and it worked great. theb upgraded to cubase 4 and i have recorded 16 simu. tracks flawlessly.
  7. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

Aug 21, 2006
    uh, you do realize this thread is almost 2 years old, don't you?