Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
I have a G4 Sawtooth with upgraded processor and graphics card. I was hoping to buy another Mac this month but the Intel news and the less than impressive mac mini upgrades plus the iMac rumours (they fry - is this true?) means I'm unclear as to what to do!
My mac is slow but adequate for most purposes (2 hard drives are getting near total capacity though). I have 2 memory slots with 64Mb and 2 with 256Mb; I was wondering whether to chuck one 64 stick and replace it with a 512 stick. I run Panther . Would I notice a difference in speed? (My powerpoints get the beach-ball effect)

Thanks

RTK (UK)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You might notice a difference if you add more RAM, but you'll forget about it within a day. If you want a new Mac and you can afford one, there's honestly no reason not to get one (Unless what you want is a PowerBook, because they are almost due for an update).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You have plenty of RAM for PowerPoint at the moment so, assuming you're not running many other apps at the same time, a memory upgrade really probably won't make a huge difference. As Chaszmyr says, you probably won't have any problems with a new Mac and if you do, Apple is very good about repairs and replacements.

My advice, assuming you're simply not happy with your current performance, is to either get an iMac which will be plenty fast enough for years to come, or get a mini with the aim to replace it once Intel minis come out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.