will a Performa 6200CD do ethernet??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by eyelikeart, Apr 23, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I have a friend who is dying for me to come "fix" her Performa 6200CD so that it can network with her TiBook...

I've looked it up on www.apple-history.com and it says there is no ethernet...so I'm wondering if anyone knows of the possibility of adding it somewhere...

Blakespot...u seem to be highly knowledgable with older systems...he he he ;)

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

If it has an PCI slot just buy one of those $30 ethernet PCI cards that works with the mac and you will be laughing (I did it with a Performa 5400.

Ensign

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I love apple-history (I am just about to become a mirror site when I have sorted my server :))

I advise people take a look at Applespec (http://www.applespec.com/) Its a great resource with info on also every product ever made by apple, down to the piece of plastic to add a zip drive to the b&w G3 etc... (Filemaker Pro DB & Standalone)

Just so people know that site was one of my first ever site designs! check out http://www.brooklineuk.com/portfolio.html for more site designs (little advert in there for me :))

Ensign

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hey, i doubt it's compatable at all, but i have an ethernet card for a PowerMac/performa 5400 here... its an Apple Ethernet CS II card... i snagged it because someone had written "modem" on the box, and i felt bad for it... idiot IT people... still has documentation, i'd be glad to send it out to anyone that needs it... it's just collecting dust (the box i mean!) here...

again, doubt it'd work, but let me know :)

pnw

5. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so far...

thanks Ensign....I'll check it out this evening...

also paulwhannel...I see use for it & if u are interested in parting with it we'll talk soon... ;)

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

no problem, I like helping out. If anybody uses AppleSpec let me know what you think cause I have the ear of the guy who makes it!

Ensign

7. MacLuver23 macrumors member

GREAT!

I think Apple Spec is great, tells you what you need to know about your mac, and its compatabilities and what I like most of all tells you what operating systems the computer can run, it could use some pictures, like what it looks like inside of the computer. Just to let you know. Its a good site though, very good! Besides, what more could you want?

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: paulwhannel

I received the ethernet card this afternoon...

I will test it out asap....

thanks so much man!! :p

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

No prob at all :) Let me know if it works out for ya--

it's for a special slot, as you can see. But who knows... anyway i got rid of the damn thing, that's all that matters!

;)
    pnw

10. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

6200CD and ethernet

the 6200 has a communications slot, takes modem, ethernet, and possibly a TV card. My mom has one with an ethernet card, it was used for Telus ADSL. I think the card was an McAlley card, bought it at TheMacmarcket in Vancouver. Ram is expensive for those babies and they were severely expansion limited and flawed. Could never get the plastic facsia to stay on once I took it off. The worst of the beige.