Will a small marketshare gain result in more Mac games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnbro23, Feb 12, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering how much marketshare you think we need to have almost as many games as there are for PCs?

I'm only asking because if this Halo Effect takes off, we could be looking at a 50% marketshare jump easily.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you'll see a few new games who target the mini's GPU, meaning less graphically-intensive ones. I don't think you'll see a lot of new games, even if market share ticks up, for quite a while, as it takes time to acquire Mac coding talent. You definitely won't see games comparable to high-end PC games being the normal case for some time, if ever. However, quite a few top-notch PC games are already being released simultaneously or with little delay on the Mac.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Steve Jobs lives in a reality distortion field thats prevents him from realising that people buy computers for gaming as well.

Shame really, as Steve could turn around the Macs gaming repuatation overnight by ploughing cold hard cash into Mac conversions.

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha true, but don't forget about the second part of said reality distortion field... Ya know, the one that grants Steve the ability to convince anyone of anything within a matter of minutes. Even if you're rooted on one decision, he'll change your mind. Think of what he could do if he cranked it to full-bore and told everyone that Macs are sweet gaming rigs :rolleyes: :D :eek:

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

It seems to me the only thing really hindering games for OSX is DirectX. There alot more games that run on OpenGL come out on PC and Mac at around the same time or a little bit after.

Not the reason of course but I'm willing to bet one of the biggest.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think he already tried... IIRC A few years back the first time they demo'ed Doom 3 was, yep you guessed it, on a Mac. And ole' Steve was there working his RDF. Didn't help the situation a bit - just look at the release date of the Mac version of Doom 3. :rolleyes:

My memory may be faulty though, and I got Mac mixed up with ATI...

7. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

as Dr. Dastardly said, whats mainly holding gaming back on the Mac is DirectX. I highly doubt we will ever see DirectX for the Mac. If a PC game wants to be ported to the Mac, and its in DX, its gonna need to practicly be completely re-written. but if its in OpenGL, its just a matter of copying the data files, and making a Game.app (simply speaking)

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I thought Steve hated gaming? His thought being that creativity/productivity are better. :rolleyes:

DirectX is Microsoft's way of controlling the games industry. Without DirectX, Windows would be in very bad shape right now for gaming... a lot of gamers are already switching to Linux, which uses OpenGL.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

This Mac Mini could create a second "halo effect." As people have noted, there probably will be games that are targeted at the Mac Mini hardware. Probably mostly from big shareware companies (examples: Ambrosia and Freeverse) or even those rate-B or rate-C,"bargain bin" commercial PC games that never got ported previously.

But, let's say the Mac Mini is getting people to switch... Maybe those switchers will realize how good Macs are and upgrade to some beefier machines. This is where I think a second halo effect could occur. Then, let's say we get around 20% market share, it will become more appealing for a commercial game company to do a simultaneous release or at least speed up the process somehow for a rate-A game. So, sure, if our market share jumps (or even at least doubles), we can definitely see more games.

Anyways, didn't we have a similar thread on this already? :confused:

10. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

Direct X playes a bit of a factor I'm sure, but...

It's market share that is the primary motivator, if a game had a chance of making some serious cash in mac sales, it would get ported. Look at all the titles that get ported between gaming consoles, and it's not like that's a trivial drop code on dev box and recompile situation.

And, as stated above, I'm sure as the marked increases, we shall see more games, first from the smaller houses that don't need to sell as many copies to make their return.

As for threads being revisited, that's the nature of online forums. :)

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

He might hate gaming, but I'd imagine he has a far greater interest in shifting as many units as possible. If it'll help Apple sell a few more computers, I doubt he'll lose too much sleep over it.

12. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Due to the Xbox2 being based on PowerPC, we might see DirectX ported to PPC. This would make Mac games much easier to port. Does anyone think this could happen?

13. cubist macrumors 68020

Marketshare gain will not result in more Mac games.

If you go to your local Wal-Mart or Best Buy, you'll see hundreds of games for the PC you've never heard of. Just the other day I bought an RTS called "No Man's Land" for $4. Hundreds of developers wouldn't deliver games for the Mac even if the ghastly DirectX was supported, because they don't have the resources or desire to support another platform anyway. The Mac will never achieve parity with the PC, and I think that's a good idea, because Sturgeon's law applies here.

Dferrera is right when he says "DirectX is Microsoft's way of controlling the games industry." Microsoft uses its proprietary standards to lock people into the platform, not to advance technology.

More and more games are moving to consoles only. Even the PC platform is dying, gaming-wise. Most new games come out on consoles first these days. Fewer and fewer games will come out for PC or Mac in the future.

Publishers are consolidating, as the price of market entry in the console world is very high. The barriers are artificial of course - license fees for proprietary development kits. It's a sad scene for everyone except the console makers.

The only possible bright spot is that some developers will spot the opportunity to produce OpenGL games for Linux, and possibly release a Mac version at the same time. This stage will probably take a year or more to develop, however.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Marketshare increase WILL lead to more software being written for the Mac.

I would say that if Apple manages to increase it's marketshare to 6-10% of computers sold (which is a HUGE jump BTW), you will see a very noticible increase in software. However, even at Apple's current rate of growth such an increase will take several years, and we don't know yet if Apple's growth can be sustained.

15. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

ain't gonna happen until you can get an imac or emac that has an above average graphics card. There just aren't enough people who can afford to invest the $ it takes to buy a powermac and put a good card in it.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Something I posted in another thread:
    I remember Steve talking about games during MacWorld New York 1998. (The MacWorld where the 56k modem was introduced in the original iMac, and the roadmap for Mac OS 8 and 9, Rhapsody and Mac OS X)

Steve said: "Somehow the previous senior management didn't care about games. But we do. we love games!"

Then went on to mention the Tombe Raider series, some kids games etc. Even a pic of the original Unreal game CD....
    Hardly a year later: OpenGL 1.0... and... Quake 3.

So far for a strole down memory lane
    But it does inspire.

Where's OpenGL 2.0?

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, to answer the main question of the thread...YES, increased marketshare of Apple's Macs will lead to more software in general, including games.

Secondly, I'll offen my own opinions on this subject...

The Mac is widely viewed as a creative platform, right? With that in mind, doesn't it make sense that the shareware, freeware, and open-source game developers are flourishing on the Mac because they're attracted by its creative potential? On the other hand, commercial game developers don't really try to be creative as a group (of course, there are exceptions, like The Sims), and thus tend to stay with the workhorse Windows platform. Therefore, I'd expect the numbers of shareware/freeware/open-source game developers on the Mac platform to continue to increase, and I'd expect the number of commercial game developers making Mac games/ports to shrink over time.

Finally, what does this all mean?

The "shareware revolution" will live on with the Mac platform and become even better than it is now as the commercial game makers move away. I am a fan of many of these shareware developers - they make some surprisingly good games.

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

OpenGL 2.0 was released via system update a while back.

19. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

The Dark Cloud hanging over mac gaming is the pullout of GameSpy (no crossplatform multiplayer in the forseeable future unless someone steps in to replace them), as well as to a lesser extent, the lack of interest in porting engines such as the Havoc engine (no Battlefield 2). Luckily gfx card manufacturers are still hanging in there for us, although the pricing is a serious obstacle... PCI express would be a good direction to go soon for macs...

Marketshare would have to change significantly (multi-triple digit growth) to change the cost/benefit balance for these devs, and even then we'd be looking at the post MM era since the MM is not intended for gaming (nor are the iMacs really).

I really have to wonder if Apple is partially subsidizing the quick releases of titles such as UT2004, Doom3, and WoW. We certainly have seen elements of recent OS X updates directly targeted to WoW performance, so I really wonder what is going on behind the scenes here.

Anyways along these lines, I interviewed Ryan Gordon (of UT2004) and asked similar questions, and he had some interesting responses. Scroll down about halfway at this link.