Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philosophish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Steeltown, UA
Hello,

Preliminaries:

1) I am in the possession of a June 2004 PowerMac G5 DP 1.8.
2) It's the AGP+PCI variety (not PCI-X, not PCIe).
3) It's running Leopard 10.5.8
4) I've got an Ultra 6800 DDL installed.

Main Question:
What is the best way to add another (3rd) monitor?

Considerations:
I think it means adding in a PCI graphics cards, none of which support CoreImage (and QuartzExtreme neither, without PCI-Extreme).
NOTE: I am using a Kensington USB DualLink on my MBP for 3rd screen, but even though it works under SnowLeopard performance is, well, not so great (only a beta driver).

I've got my eyes on a (original Mac Ed) ATI RADEON 9200 128MB. (Is there a better/faster PCI card for the G5?)

Now, will the lack of QE and CI in the PCI card slow down/reduce OSX graphics capabilities for the screens connected to the Ultra 6800? Or can OSX run them independently i.e. apps requiring CI/QE will work on one monitor, but not on the other?

Side question:
In fact right now there is somebode selling a PCI FX5200 with 256MB and two VGA-outputs in the bay , claiming it can do BOTH CI+QE, IF run as the ONLY graphics card; is there any substance to this? What, why, how?
I personally am doubtful, since I thought that CI required AGP x2 or better, which PCI obviously isn't. Thanks.

NOTE: you'll find it on the .com site by search terms "NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 PCI Mac 256MB Xserve"; don't mean to advertise for the guy or anything, just curious.

Thanks a lot
phish

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
OS X can use CI/QE on one display but not the other. When rendering on the display on the other GPU, it'll fallback to software rendering.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Can't you disable them in software though? Then adding a card to, say, just keep mail and calendar open in (or whatever function you need) would make perfect sense...

philosophish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Steeltown, UA
Hello, thanks for your answers.

@disconap: Yes, that would be my intention. I have one (central) working screen, one for auxiliary tools (palettes, tooboxes, whatever) and prefer to have a third screen to keep email and the like open; I wouldn't need CI/QE there, I just want to make sure that they won't be turned off on the capable two screens by the lacking card/display (as in greatest common divisor). I admin that it is a bit spoilt, since I could make do with window shuffling, but I prefer it like this.

@goMac: Do you mean that OSX generally does not support CI/QE on more than one display or that one display is unaffected by the other's capabilities or lack thereof?

regards
phish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.